Correct Landing Flare

Guest - L Guest

I've been doing the tutorial flights (recently purchased game), and have gotten to the commercial pilot section, nearly finished practicing it. One thing I still haven't figured out is how to do the flare and the landing correctly Surprised. I land, eventually and without serious problems.

I tend to flare 10-20 feet away from the ground, but I can't figure out how high to raise the nose. What usually happens is that I land, and then take off again for a second...and then finally land 🙄. Can anybody tell me what I am doing incorrectly, and what I should be doing?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Guest - L Guest

That did not help me very much because I didn't explain how and when to do the flare, which is basically what I need.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

From what you describe it sounds like you are coming in too fast.

If you are flying the Cessna 172 your speed when you get to the runway should be about 65KPH. At that speed you shouldn't have to raise the nose much at all to let the plane settle onto the runway. Make sure you don't land on the nose gear though.

FT Guest

I had problems for a while. But then I tweaked the "pitch trim" so I could go very slow on approach to the runway, yet still be able to pitch up and land on the back landing gear.

Basically, make sure you are going slooow enough that you can pitch up (slightly) and NOT have the plane increase altitude. When you pitch up, you should be very close to the runway, your engines at idle, flaps down, and you should be able to flare up, allowing the nose to come down gently once your rear landing gear has made contact with the ground.

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

That seemed to be it, I did some landings with smaller aircraft and it worked. What kind of speed should commercial jets land at?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

TSK wrote:

That seemed to be it, I did some landings with smaller aircraft and it worked. What kind of speed should commercial jets land at?

You have to check the specs on each aircraft. There is no one size fits all.

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Ok, I took a look at the specifications and found it 😎.

On another note, I am a bit confused as to the specifications. In-game, maximum operating speed of a Boeing 737-400 is 340 knots. Outside the game, websites say around 500 knots. Because those values are different, the cruising speed is different (and not indicated in-game). So why this conflict and what should I use?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

TSK wrote:

Ok, I took a look at the specifications and found it 😎.

On another note, I am a bit confused as to the specifications. In-game, maximum operating speed of a Boeing 737-400 is 340 knots. Outside the game, websites say around 500 knots. Because those values are different, the cruising speed is different (and not indicated in-game). So why this conflict and what should I use?

I don't fly jets, but the game specs seem awfully low for a jet airliner IMO.

There are a lot of members here who fly that plane, hopefully they will fill you in on it.

crosscheck9 Guest

Actually, the game has it's figures correct. 340 KIAS *note: Indicated* at FL350 would be something around 500KTS. I'm actually in a rush now, so I can't really fill you in on the physics of it. Just trust that the game has got it right. And when flying any jet, at FL240, switch from speed indicator to mach indicator, because it becomes more accurate at higher FL's.

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Crosscheck, well, what kind of cruising speed would I use for 737-400 and 747? The game does not indicate it in the specifications.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

First, below 10,000 ft, stay below 250 KIAS. It isn't physics, it's the law.

Above 10,000 ft, stay comfortably below your aircraft's maximum.

The reason The maximum KIAS seems low is that indicated airspeed is effected by altitude because the higher you go, the less dense the atmosphere is. The fewer molecules of air in a given space cause the instruments to show an indicated speed differs at high altitude and low.

In other words, 300 KIAS at FL350 (35,000 ft.) is a lot faster than 300 KIAS at FL200 (20,000 ft.).

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...