Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Whats your favourite commercial jet of today?

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Hey there,

What is your favourite commercial jet of today?

I will start off.

Boeing 777, and of course, the Boeing 747.

Last edited by jarred_01 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total
Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

737 family, a320, 757, and if md-80's count then the whole md-80 family

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Definitely the 737 family.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

As far as body shape, general appearance, performance, range, and practicality: the 767.

As far as looks, maybe the CRJ-200 (although technically that's a regional jet - not sure what range of aircraft we're talking about here 😉 ).

crosscheck9 Guest

A320 - Amazing specs and just recently put on quite a display back in California. Great Engineering if you ask me.

B757 - Low cost, easy to operate, medium range (very practical) and it looks good too 😀 .

B777 - Absolutely outstanding Specs, very up-to-date technology, looks like the ideal aircraft and as far as safety, defintely one of the best 😂 .

a340 - You gotta love it - That recent show in Toronto may change some opinions, but I've been on that beast a few times, and let me tell you..there's some smooth sailing going on in there 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

A330 - a great and smooth airplane built with the latest technology. And of course, I love Fly-by-Wire systems. 😀 It's awesome to see the A330 approaching the runway.

A340 - all series, specially the A340-600 which is my favorite aircraft.

A320 - Nice, little, smooth, good-looking aircraft. I don't have words to describe this aircraft. It's just so great!

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Regionals:
Fokkers! The F70/100. I don't know why, just lov 'em

Commercials:
A319 Love the short fella! High tech, overpowered and quite shapely.

B737, especially the 300-400-500 Stable, reliable, pretty. A true workhorse. Love the shape of the engine intakes for some reason.

Heavies:
Well, I am not crazy for the heavies as you may or may not know. I don't really like the 767, no idea why. The 747 is unique of course and I like the DC-10 for some reason. It's very... I don't know. It has character and power. And of course, the A340. Sleek, powerful, technologically advanced.

My next gen favorite? Probably the A350

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I know what you mean about the Fokkers, especially the 70. I have to confess I have a bizzare affection for the tri-jets, DC-10, L-1011, MD-11 and 727.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

what does fly by wires mean?

My fav a/c is the 737!!

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I have lots of favourite aircraft but the 737 series is the best of them all

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Fly-by-wire basically means "heavily automated". To give you an example, in the Airbus' (320, 330, 340) you don't use the throttles as you would in a Boeing (even though you could I suppose).

There are four "notches" on the throttles, one is T/O for example, for take off, another is CL (for climb/cruise) etc. You take off by putting the throttles in the T/O scale for example, then click back to CL and the computer automatically regulates thrust for optimum speed. You want to descend? No jabbing the throttles back and forth. You leave them at CL and the computer again calculates the best descent and sets it automatically.

Think of it as the difference between a (particularly cranky) manual shift and an automatic car.

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

I have a few favorites but I regret that I have never been aboard a 777,757,767. My favorites aren't in any order, DC-10, L-1011, 737, 747, C5 Galaxy. The by wire seems interesting on concept to me. The glass cockpit I would like to see.

Regards,

Pro Member Chief Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

Fly-by-wire basically means "heavily automated". To give you an example, in the Airbus' (320, 330, 340) you don't use the throttles as you would in a Boeing (even though you could I suppose).

There are four "notches" on the throttles, one is T/O for example, for take off, another is CL (for climb/cruise) etc. You take off by putting the throttles in the T/O scale for example, then click back to CL and the computer automatically regulates thrust for optimum speed. You want to descend? No jabbing the throttles back and forth. You leave them at CL and the computer again calculates the best descent and sets it automatically.

Think of it as the difference between a (particularly cranky) manual shift and an automatic car.

Yeah, that covers a little part of the Fly-by-Wire system.

The four gates, as the real name is, are REVERSE IDLE, CL, FLEX, and T/O. IDLE is used for taxiing. You can taxi by moving the throttles as you wish too. Also, IDLE thrust is used when you are above the threshold. Example: you are approaching runway 05. You throttle is set at the CL gate and when you pass over the threshold, you set IDLE thrust, and then REVERSE.

CL is used right after take off. When the airplane reaches 1500 ft, the throttles are set to CL. You leave them like that for the rest of the flight.
FLEX is used for take off. You can set the amount of thrust needed for take-off. T/O is Takeoff/Go-around. If you set the throttles to T/O, the aircraft accelerates to it's maximum. FLEX thrust doesn't accelerate at it's maximum, but you can set it to do so. T/O is used for take-offs in short runways and also for go-arounds.

I'll explain more about Fly-by-Wire later. I have to go now.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well mine is the MD series. Mainly the MD-80 and the MD-11.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Commercial - 747-400

Military - 747-2G4B (VC-25A)

Helicopter - VH-60N

Pro Member First Officer
Andrew (AJWatson2209) First Officer

SO then whats the difference between fly by wire and auto throttle.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Auto throttle: The pilot sets a desired speed (let's say 285 kts indicated) and the computer does its best to maintain it.

Fly-by-wire: The pilot sets the throttle to "CL" and the "flight phase" is "cruise"? The computer maintains a speed that is appropriate for the FL, the weight of aircraft, the winds, the economy setting, the flight schedule. One minute it might be 280 kts, the next 295, the next 286. No one cares. The computer manages it. You want to descend? No, no. No need to touch the throttles. They remain on the "CL" notch (the "D" setting if you will in a car). Just select "Descent" phase on the computer and descent will begin, maintaining optimum speed. No need for the pilot to touch anything. That and more is what Airbus is all about.

Now, I won't say I don't like the raw power of playing with the throttles, but you have to admire that level of sophistication.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah, that's true. Airbus made all their aircraft with Fly-by-Wire systems. It makes the aircraft fly in a different way: an automated way. Even when you have an engine failure, the aircraft can fly by itself when autopilot is off. The main reason for this is safety.

Another example of Fly-by-Wire system is the following: when the pilot is flying the airplane (no autopilot) and turns the airplane more than a 30 degree bank angle, the aircraft won't perform a barrel roll. It will never do that. The airplane can turn until a certain degree of bank angle. I don't remember well what was the number, but I think it's between 60° to 70°. Maybe less...I don't remember that exactly.
Let's say the pilot turns the airplane at a 55° angle. Then the pilot releases the sidestick and the airplane levels up the wings by itself. The same happens when the pilot climbs or descends to a 50° of pitch. The airplane won't perform a looping. It gets to a point where the airplane can't exceed that angle. The pilot releases again the sidestick and the airplane returns to a 0° of pitch and bank angle. As I said before, the main reason for this is safety.

And another example is when you have an engine failure. The airplane will try to maintain a safe flight, control the thrust and everything while the autopilot is off.
Of course you can do that by yourself, but it's more streesful.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Usually I fly the PMDG 737, but my favorite is still the 747-400..

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (megafoot) First Officer

FLY BY WIRE means that you are controlling computers that control control surfacs (and some systems) on the aircraft.

There is not a direct link between you and the aircraft. Cables and hydraulic activators connected to the wheel/yoke/pedals ect. Your input comes from the controls that you normally use (pedals/wheel/throttles ect.) though.

You are telling the computer what you want to do and then it directs the systems to perform that task

There is usually multipul redundancy in these systems in case one computer fails another takes over. there is also usually a manual override that allows basic control should the entire fly by wire systems fail. (though I have heard that those manual overrides are just to get the plane landed. they are never used in normal operation)

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Mine is the: 737 & 747 families 😀

Pro Member Trainee
mickwill Trainee

Embraer ERJ-145

Boeing 737-500

I'm so dull 😉

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Must say I love the 747-400, even though I've never been on one Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Boeing

Airbus
A319/A320
A330
A340

Antonov
AN-225

Bombardier
Challenger
CRJ-200ER

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

in no order, i fly all reguarly:

737 800

fokker 70

crj 200

an148

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Canadair Regional Jet 700ER
🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

737 family
747-400
a320
a321
a330
a340

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

737 for its looks 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Boeing 777-200 ER

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

We really must be running out of things to chat about.

This topic was started Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:11 pm .

But I'm willing to learn... is this what is commonly referred to as 'retro'Umm...

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

777. Can't wait to see the 787! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Has to be anything from the 737 series for me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It's gotta be the TU-154 👍 Ninja

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Just to go off topic (well it is my thread anyway :wink), does anyone here actually like the look of the A300 Super Transporter? It has to be the ugliest commercial craft I have ever seen, but then I guess it is designed for transporting Airbus parts...

For people who dont know what it is, check out the following photo:

http://www.airliners.net/photos/middle/2/2/2/163222.jpg

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I like it. Reminds me of a whale, they are white and very friendly 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

It's gotta be the TU-154 👍 Ninja

they sure are cool! i have a great one from avsim.ru 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

Just to go off topic (well it is my thread anyway :wink), does anyone here actually like the look of the A300 Super Transporter? It has to be the ugliest commercial craft I have ever seen, but then I guess it is designed for transporting Airbus parts...

For people who dont know what it is, check out the following photo:

http://www.airliners.net/photos/middle/2/2/2/163222.jpg

Methinks many enthusiasts would be familiar with the 'Guppy' later turned into the 'Beluga' and now available as stand alone payware with many pictures 😉

When the first 'Iron Horses' -Steamtrains traversed the American continent, the native Americans thought of them as the ugliest monstrosities in the land.

These days you have millions of enthusiasts who consider real or model trains to be the most beautiful creation on God's earth. 😉

Let's be openminded.

Pro Member Trainee
fuchsias Trainee

Regional BAe 146

Shorthall Boing 737 - A318

Longhall A340 - Boing 747

Pro Member First Officer
rickypig112 First Officer

it has to be said, the 767 and A330 rule!!!!

Pro Member Trainee
chrissie Trainee

I love my 737's but the Airbus gets me up and leveled quickly and makes smooth landing