SearchSearch 

FS - Is it a game?

Is FS a game or serious simulation program.
It is a game.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
It is a serious simulation program.
68%
 68%  [ 20 ]
It is both.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
I can't decide.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 29

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

This ought to be interesting. My own view is that it is a serious simulation program.

21 Responses

crosscheck9 Guest

Simulator all the way - The name says it all

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

It's a game, pure and simple.

Don't think for a moment, because you have mastered FS2004, or even the most intricate add-ons, that you can fly a real plane.

As far as aerial navigation goes, I can say it's a simulator.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's a simulator (95%) with some (minor) game aspects to it to keep it from being boring.
One instance, take FSPassengers. It's a program to make a game out of it but it still tells you how to fly properly enough that you have to satisfy passengers.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

My wife calls it a game. She has a habit of wanted to do things when I am getting to a point in the flight such as on final and either needs something or needs to go somewhere. How can I convince her that I need this to refine my fine motor skills...

Regards,

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Since it's early in the discussion, I'd like to see some arguments for both sides... why you think it's what you think it is Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

edr1073 wrote:

My wife calls it a game. She has a habit of wanted to do things when I am getting to a point in the flight such as on final and either needs something or needs to go somewhere. How can I convince her that I need this to refine my fine motor skills...

Regards,

If you are flying an airplane, tell your wife not to fly with you, because it will be unsufe. The reason why is because she didn't let you practice your landings. She'll be scare to fly in your airplane and next time she will let you fly with your simulator all the time you want so that she can be sure that flying with you next time will be safe. 😂

By the way, I voted that FS is a simulator, not a game.

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I think newbies or the uninitiated tend to look at it as a game. Whatever! Alll that matters is the user has fun.

Merriam-Webster

Definition: game
Pronunciation: 'gAm
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gamen; akin to Old High German gaman amusement
1 a (1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement : PLAY (2) : the equipment for a game b : often derisive or mocking jesting : FUN, SPORT <make game of a nervous player> 2 a : a procedure or strategy for gaining an end : TACTIC b : an illegal or shady scheme or maneuver : RACKET 3 a (1) : a physical or mental competition conducted according to rules with the participants in direct opposition to each other (2) : a division of a larger contest (3) : the number of points necessary to win (4) : points scored in certain card games (as in all fours) by a player whose cards count up the highest (5) : the manner of playing in a contest (6) : the set of rules governing a game (7) : a particular aspect or phase of play in a game or sport...

Pro Member Chief Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

Since it's early in the discussion, I'd like to see some arguments for both sides... why you think it's what you think it is Wink

It is a simulator, albeit an imperfect one. It has as its objective, flying as realistically as one can. There are no points to score and no one to play against. The only competitor is gravity.

There are addons such as FS Passengers that do add an element of scoring, finance, advancement, etc., but I do no see that as a game, though it has some annoying aspects. I can't stand the co-pilot saying, "I love you Mom", just before a crash.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

When I first brought FS I thought it was like any flight game (Holds head in shame) then once I got into it, it turned into more than a game. It has also turned into an obsession now and I Fear it's getting worse and worse. So I voted for serious simulation program.

My 2 cents

Liono

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jeez, I forgot to include obsession 😳

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

My vote is simulation. The goal is to reproduce the flight experiance as close to real life as possible on a personal computer. I have no illusions that I would not notice a vast difference if I ever had the opportunity to fly a real plane. I would hope I could compair simularities between the simulator and the real thing. That depends on how accurately the simulator potrays real life. 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

It depends from which side you see it.Of course its a great simmulator but i think that most of us have crash our planes just for fun...so this gives to FS a game view.

I personally see it as a simulator with a ''game'' choice in its options... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

It is a simulator, albeit an imperfect one. It has as its objective, flying as realistically as one can. There are no points to score and no one to play against. The only competitor is gravity.

Couldn't have said it better myself Crash... 😎

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

On the quote above, made by CG.

Couldn't agree more. It IS a simulation, but not a "serious simulation program". If the choices were "game/simulator/both/neither" I would have said simulator. But right now, let's face it. It's a simulation game.

As for the "newbie" thing, I'll accept that. I have bought add ons, I try to fly according to procedure, I know my way around VORs and FMCs alike. I can do a decent climb, a cruise, a descent, an approach, without using a computer. I can start up the systems and the engines the right way and then shut them off again the right way when done.

Does this mean I am in any way experienced? No. Does this mean I can start up a real jet or - even worse - fly it around? Certainly not (look at my sig). All this means, that FS is a sim game. A game. Serious simulator program? Climb into the cockpit of a real simulator (you know, the one on pneumatic struts, all systems and sensations simulated 😉 ) Then we can speak of serious simulation.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy FS or I didn't learn a lot. I'm just saying: It's a game!

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Bindolaf wrote:

Does this mean I am in any way experienced? No. Does this mean I can start up a real jet or - even worse - fly it around? Certainly not (look at my sig). All this means, that FS is a sim game. A game. Serious simulator program? Climb into the cockpit of a real simulator (you know, the one on pneumatic struts, all systems and sensations simulated 😉 ) Then we can speak of serious simulation.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy FS or I didn't learn a lot. I'm just saying: It's a game!

I generally agree. I think FS is very useful to learn what you are suppose to be doing, why, and when and a very limited how. Knowing the FS well, you would have a definite advantage over someone who does not when climbing into a real cockpit.

There is no hands-on experience, the most important kind; that's what "real" simulators are for Wink. You learn theory only in FS, and hands-on in the real thing.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

It's as close as you can get to a simulator on a PC, but it isn't a full blown simulator. As a game I would find it very boring, and I don't.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

It's a simulator, a game you can finish, and/or is sometimes fiction. FS is real and you can never finish it.

Wobba Guest

SamIntel wrote:

It's a simulator, a game you can finish, and/or is sometimes fiction. FS is real and you can never finish it.

tetris is a game and you can't finish it

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Wobba wrote:

SamIntel wrote:

tetris is a game and you can't finish it

You are right, I don't think I know what the game is, but dose it relate directly to the real world.

Wobba Guest

No it doesn't relate to the real world, but who said all games have to?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Since we entered into semantics, I offer the simplest definitions:

Main Entry: 1game
Pronunciation: 'gAm
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gamen; akin to Old High German gaman amusement
1 a (1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement

Main Entry: sim·u·la·tor
Pronunciation: 'sim-y&-"lA-t&r
: one that simulates; especially : a device that enables the operator to reproduce or represent under test conditions phenomena likely to occur in actual performance

(Definitions courtesy of www.merriam-webster.com)

You will notice, that according to the two definitions above (but also most others), FS2004 is both a game and a simulator. I have no argument there. My "beef" so to speak was with the term "serious", which I took to mean "exactly simulating all facets of the real thing". Which it does not.

It's probably as close as one could get and with some add-ons it touches on serious, but still. Mastering FS2004 will not make you able to fly.

Anyway, as one might say... it's "just" words 😉