0%
 0%  [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 16

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Just wondering what browser everyone uses

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Netscape. I have used Netscape every since I have been online and that is about ten years now. I have tried I.E. and don't like it. I have also used Opera, it's not bad, better than I.E. IMO.

I do use I.E. for a couple of sites that don't work well with Netscape, but that's it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I use good old Firefox (as you can tell, looks across to avator and smiles Love )

I do use IE6 for a few sites espically Microsoft update pages and sometimes for the zone.msn as well

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I too started off with Netscape almost 10 years ago (1.0), then graduated to 3.0 (commander or gold, can't remember the name). My ISP at the time instructed us to get 2.0 and I used "Cybermedias Oilchange" to find it for me, it found 3.0.
When I saw IE on someone else's machine I loaded it and have used it ever since.

I keep Firefox in reserve for slow sites only. Rolling Eyes

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I don't use IE, but Maxthon, which is based on the IE browser engine.

I actually like it very much. I only have a little problem sometimes that suddenly Maxthon shuts down without saying anything... But overall, I find it to be a great browser.

I have also Firefox and use it sometimes. But I don't like the system that all the windows or tabs appear at the bottom of the screen next to each other. However, Maxthon does not do that. It puts all the windows next to each other, but in the same window.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I too started off with Netscape almost 10 years ago (1.0), then graduated to 3.0 (commander or gold, can't remember the name). My ISP at the time instructed us to get 2.0 and I used "Cybermedias Oilchange" to find it for me, it found 3.0.
When I saw IE on someone else's machine I loaded it and have used it ever since.

I keep Firefox in reserve for slow sites only. Rolling Eyes

Radar

It was Netscape Gold I started with. I looked at I.E. at the time and didn't like it, I have I.E. now and don''t like it except when I have to use it. Some sites are setup so they don't work well with Netscape. I don't use or configure any of the Microsoft online tools like Messenger or Outlook Express, those are favorite back doors for hackers and virus's.

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

Firefox = no pop-ups
IE = pop-up city

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

sylvan wrote:

Firefox = no pop-ups
IE = pop-up city

The newer versions of Netscape has a built in pop up blocker. It's configurable for sites you might visit that has pop up's you might want.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

I don't use IE, but Maxthon, which is based on the IE browser engine.

I actually like it very much. I only have a little problem sometimes that suddenly Maxthon shuts down without saying anything... But overall, I find it to be a great browser.

Same with Agus for me but with no shut down option... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

That shut down option thingy is because it finds some spyware or something bad for my computer and instead of asking if I want to delete them, it just shuts down completely. But that thing is not an every day issue, luckly. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This sounds like an unsolicited testimonial but I've been using Panicwares pop-up-stopper for years (with sound) and am very happy with it.

Free!
http://www.panicware.com/popupstoppercompare.html

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I voted for Firefox, I have been using it for about 3 months now, its a great browser.

I use IE, for backup, though, when Firefox doesnt work on a site.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

sylvan wrote:

Firefox = no pop-ups
IE = pop-up city

I use IE and get no pop-ups. I can think of a dozen ways to achieve this.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

This sounds like an unsolicited testimonial but I've been using Panicwares pop-up-stopper for years (with sound) and am very happy with it.

Free!
http://www.panicware.com/popupstoppercompare.html

Radar

I use Pop-up blocker but i will also try this too.Thanks Radarman. Wink

Pro Member First Officer
sylvan First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

sylvan wrote:

Firefox = no pop-ups
IE = pop-up city

I use IE and get no pop-ups. I can think of a dozen ways to achieve this.

Good for you

Rick Lee Guest

Hi folks,

When I first switched to Firefox a looong time ago, I did it purely for security reasons. Being an eyecandy-junkie I didn't like the plain looks of Firefox and "Tabbed Browsing" - what on earth were they talking about??

At long last, common sense prevailed. IE had to go - security reasons mainly. Why, even Microsoft has admitted that they are unable to fix IE on it's own because it's too integrated into Windows OS.
I was flirting with Netscape for a while but didn't like the huge footprint - a bit like IE - the many features were appealing but let's face it: am I ever gonna use them??

So I made the best decision I ever have in regards to computing - installed Firefox, made it my default browser and haven't looked back since. Of course you keep IE for the odd occasion when you really need it i.e. downloading Windows Updates.

Firefox is fast, safe, reliable, great forum support, increasing in popularity for good reasons - a bit plain looking perhaps Wacko ...but the Tabs - did I mention "Tabbed Browsing"?

For those who haven't experienced tabbed browsing - it's a blast!!
How I ever managed to be without it I don't know.

IE-diehards you too should switch to Firefox, you owe it to your friends!
Picture this: your conversing back and forth via the internet and you want to make sure that your friend will find a particular site again with ease.
Both of you using Firefox you would enquire:

"Have you bookmarked that page?"

using IE instead:

"Have you added that page to your favorites folder?"

Why worship relics? Out with the old (IE), in with the new (Firefox) Exclamation

I think I'm in love Love

Regards, Rick

Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

sylvan wrote:

Firefox = no pop-ups
IE = pop-up city

Exactly i switched over from IE to firefox

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Rick Lee,

IE works for every site I need to access. Firefox does not.

The more popular Firefox becomes, the more security holes will be found because those who exploit software wish to do as much damage as they can.

If you are really security conscious, dump Windows and use Linux. Of course, you'll have to do without FS.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I installed the last version of Firefox and decided to try it out. I didn't like it at all. Most of the websites were loading sooo slow and I gave up waiting like 5 minutes to wait for a site to load. This does not happen with Maxthon. All the webistes load very fast...faster than FireFox.

Rick Lee Guest

CrashGordon wrote:

Rick Lee,

IE works for every site I need to access. Firefox does not.

The more popular Firefox becomes, the more security holes will be found because those who exploit software wish to do as much damage as they can.

If you are really security conscious, dump Windows and use Linux. Of course, you'll have to do without FS.

For sites that don't display correctly in Firefox I use a freely available extension which saves me having to open IE browser as such. Just r/click on the current page and select View This Page in IE from the dropdown menu.

I fully agree with the notion that more security holes will be found as Firefox becomes more popular. Unfortunately that seems to be the trend. But hey, we're talking about the Here and Now and guess what I'll be doing when Firefox becomes unsafe?
You open an account with a bank that gives you a real good deal. Two years down the track, the bank has changed policies, interest rates etc. and is robbing you blind. What do you do - stick with them and ride out the storm? You know what I do. (Hope all this makes sense)

Thanks for pointing out LINUX. In fact I've been considering LINUX for a long time but being practically illiterate in computing I've been too scared to make the switch. All this time I've been wonderig whether I could run FS under LINUX and the question has just been answered. Problem solved. Thanks for that, Crash... you don't really think I'm prepared to dump FS, do you?? Shocked

Regards, Rick

Pro Member First Officer
robbier First Officer

the reason i switched over is because literally every time i opened up IE, i got 1-3 pop ups right when i opened up IE, then an additional 4-6 pop ups for every page i went to, and sometimes some random pop-ups while browsing. I decided to try Firefox, and WOW!!! I mean literally no pop-ups ever! except for maybe 1 or 2 occasionally.