Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Just greetings from a newbie

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Hello everyone. I expect to be lurking more than posting, but as a new forum member I thought the least I can do is say “hello.”

Something gave me the flying bug early this year. I’ve always had a mild interest in aviation, but it never gelled into an interest in sims. Anyway I purchased FS ’04 during the summer, but many glitches with my nearly-5-year-old Presario interfered with the program’s use. Fact is, as I’ve never been a gamer, I never desired the latest and greatest CPU, state-of-the-art graphics cards, joysticks, or even anything above 512M of memory. FS unbalances the formula, doesn’t it? So, I’ve just completed the first phases of a PC upgrade—a miserable task I would only recommend to my worst enemy, if only I had one!--to a socket 939 m’board and an Athlon 64 CPU (3000+). Next to come, I imagine, will be a better graphics card (my Chaintech has 128M of memory but it’s a value-price card that’s recently been rebated to sub-$20 levels). (I have noticed, happily, that some manufacturers offer refurbished versions of their latest cards at sharp discounts. These must be returns from customers who changed their minds.) UNLESS…I’d be better off going to 1G of RAM, rather than a new graphics card. I don’t really know which mod would have the greater effect on the operation of the sim.

As I live in Brooklyn now and wasted many adolescent summers in a “bungalow” on the southeast flank of the Shawangunk range northwest of the city (a region known to us in those simple days simply as “the Catskills,” I’ve been flying out of Teterboro, and Stewart, and Sha Wan Ga Valley, and even landed, with just bare success, at Skytop. I’ve also, naturally, become acquainted with Sea-Tac, Bremerton, Snohomish, and even Harvey Field, thanks to the Washington-centric boys from Redmond. Plus that I’ve visited a friend in Snohomish many times.

This is entirely VFR flying, understand. Now I’m just about ready for Machado’s solo test. Creating flight plans, using ATC, and flying in skies shared with other airplanes and genuine simulated weather is still a treat I’ve so far denied myself. FS is a great program even if all those settings are absolutely $%#@&^ bewildering.

Cheers to all.

HL

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Welcome to HELL!!! Twisted Evil

Just kiding.....have fun here we all do in some way or another.

AstroSteve

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Welcome aboard, as for the card or the ram first I'd go with the card to get better FPS and graphics then the ram for speed and rendering of the textures.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Welcome aboard HardLanding 😉

Group Wave

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

😀 Welcome 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Welcome!!

Hope you enjoy Fly Away 😉

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Welcome to the air minded affliction hardlanding. 😀

Welcome aboard 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Welcome aboard! Fasten your seatbelt, it's 'gonna be a wild ride!

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Thanks to all, and thanks RadarMan for explaining what graphics cards do v. what RAM does.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Hardlanding,
Upgrade as you can but don't go overboard, you'll want to upgrade your computer for the next version and spending $ now for a card that won't be the best for later will be a waste.
Something about $150.00 would be perfect now.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
roger123 Trainee

Welcome aboard. All very friendly here
🙂 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Welcome to Flyaway Hardlanding.Happy and safe flights to you... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

As all my fellow members have said, welcome aboard! Skies are clear and we're sure to have a pleasant ride.
Come back as often as you like, I can assure you that the more you use the sim the more questions you'll have and we'll always be happy to answer them.
Try Rods' lessons, but don't pay too much attention to them. I only took a couple of the sims lessons and the rest of my "flight training" has been practice.....nothin' beats it.

So anyway...."we know you have a choice when you fly, and we thank you for choosing flyawaysimulation.com"

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Welcome to the friendliest Flight Sim board on the 'net! 😉

Rick

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Welcome! -- What can I say? Just enjoy this as much as possible. Your gonna get to know alot of friendly people here. Stick with it and it's that much better for you! See you around the skies!

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

HardLanding,

One more welcomes you aboard. 😎

You mentioned flying out of Stewart. I like to fly down there occasionally to visit the boys at Orange County Chopper in nearby Rock Tavern. 😉 😉