Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FMC

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Two freeware FMC's have been mentioned not too long ago.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/3156/fs2004-simplefmc/

and:

(dead link removed)

As I'm new at this, which one would you suggest for a newbie and what do I actually use it for???

I do enjoy experimenting with new toys, so please enlighten me Unsure Read

Thanks, Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

The first one is much simplier that the other one, but it's not that realistic. The second one is a very good FMC. I don't have it, but it looks very nice and realistic.

I'd suggest you to go for the first one. Then you can go for the other one. You can use those FMC to make your flights look more realistic and they also give you a lot of useful information.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks Agus for the pointer,

I'll take your advice and try the simplefmc-1.2 to start with.

If time permits could you elaborate on the "...to make your flights look more realistic and they also give you a lot of useful information..." a little more?

I sure appreciate your effort 🙂)

Regards,
Rick Lee

Pro Member Chief Captain

Sure, Rick.

All jets have FMC's installed to calculate speeds, winds, to look at the waypoints, to choose SID's and STAR's for the climb and approach, to look for certain details about runways, navaids, and other stuff. This makes your flights look more realistic or in a professioanal way. Having the ability to choose a SID or a STAR is very realistic. The only problem is that you won't be able to follow it if you fly offline. Well, actually you can follow your SID or STAR but you have to disobey ATC.

Let's have an example: you are about to start your descent to Kennedy Intl. Airport and ATC tells you to land on runway 22R. What do you do then? Well, you have to look for a STAR to approach that runway, and you need to know the approach and landing speed. FMC's calculate that for you automatically so that will help you in every phase of your flights.
Another important thing is the V1, VR, and V2 speeds. How do you know the accurate VR speed for your aircraft with a certain quantity of fuel and weight? Your FMC will calculate that for you so you rotate at the right speed.

FMC's can do this and a lot more.

I think that the second FMC is more accurate than the other one. It looks like it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks a million, Agus

Your explanation is a godsend especially after me having unzipped the above mentioned FMC this morning and my mind, head and whole body went like this Fear

I guess all I have to do now is to persuade Santaclaus to change his busy schedule drastically and drop by my house first to deliver that faster connection I'm needing so badly.

Thanks again, Rick Lee

Pro Member Chief Captain

You're welcome, Rick!

This is the reason why I'm here....to help and to have fun. We are all here to do that.

If you need any help with another thing, just ask and we'll help.

About the faster connection, it's always better to have one. I hope you can get one soon.
You know? In school, my classmates used to call me Santa Claus. My last name is French and it sounds just like Claus 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The ball's in your court then Santa Claus - remember fast connection?

I'm off to sweep my chimney so your descent won't be too rough. I might point out though that an A340 won't fit. You'd better park that one in my backyard.

Obligado, Rick 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain

Sorry for the late answer, Rick. Embarassed

Yeah, my sleigh is my A340-600 ROFL Do I have enough space to land it in your backyard? 😂 Remember that this baby is so big...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

Sorry for the late answer, Rick. Embarassed

Yeah, my sleigh is my A340-600 ROFL Do I have enough space to land it in your backyard? 😂 Remember that this baby is so big...

Your A340 is acommodated for Agus, I'm just worried about the fodder for the reindeer Horse Horse Horse Whip

Regards,
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain

Cool! 😛

Regarding the fodder for the reindeer, well...uh... Umm... where did I put it? Gotta check my hangar. 😉