Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

When to pitch up...

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I have been having a few problems landing lately. I kept coming in very low and either i didn't make it to the runway or my wheels bounce a bit on landing. When should i pitch the nose up? I have usually pitch it up right before the plane touches down but for a 747 that doesn't seem right. If i pitch up a little off the runway though i still end up bouncing a bit as i come down. When should i pitch the nose up and how can i stop the wheels from bouncing a bit when i touch down?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Unless you are just setting down too hard bouncing is usually a sign you are landing with too much speed.

Avianca Guest

Hey,

I have had the same problem.
All Landing is a matter of correct airspeed. the ASI is the most important instrument to check. You might want to power up if the nose goes down and then just a little bit of pitch up. if it is not enough, don't be agressive, give her some flaps and a little more power. When "your" nose straights up, just try to maintain your descent rate with power, trim, and flaps corrections as you need to speed down to touch down.
I like to add more flaps a few seconds before tochdown just to smoothen the impact.

Nice flight now!

Avianca Guest

You may want to Raise the speed brakes or spoilers and retract flaps on touchdown. That may prevent the aircrafo from bouncing over the runway

NICE FLIGHT

what's the ideal speed to land at in a big plane like a 747 or maybe a 777? I know approach speed should be 180 or so, but what is the speed you should be at when you're crossing the threshold? 160? 150?

And what about smaller planes like a CRJ or a A320?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I never mastered the 747 Crying or Very sad but have put it down once or twice where I wanted to(a few more times where I did'nt) Wink

For the smaller or medium class like the 737/A320s somewhere about the 140/150 mark is about right(all dependant on weight)

Oh the 747 Rolling Eyes I used to try and t/d at about the 150 mark(ish+ or-)

This now an old site but still usefull Arrow

and Arrow

http://stevesflightschool.com/

Hope it helps Wink

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

what's the ideal speed to land at in a big plane like a 747 or maybe a 777? I know approach speed should be 180 or so, but what is the speed you should be at when you're crossing the threshold? 160? 150?

It will depend on the weight and the flap positions to be precise, but, for the 747, you are close. Usually between 155 and 165 knots with full flaps depending on the weight.