SearchSearch 

Aircraft Recognition Quiz

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

Hi all - to celebrate my return - a little light relief - -something to do on a quiet Sunday - what is this a/c(?) named and who manufactured it?

A free repaint of freeware or default a/c to the sender of the first post with a fully correct answer. The judge's decision (me) will be final.

I will disqualify Greekman72 if he uses this post to further his aim in reaching 1,000,000 posts 😉

15 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

**EDIT***

It is in fact an Antoinette IV, introduced in October 1908!!!

The Antoinette company was named for the daughter of the director who was Jules Gastambide, the companies engines were created by the designer Léon Levavasseur.

It was the first monoplane with ailerons, although they didn't work very well and were replaced with wing warping in later models.

On June 12, Hubert Latham set a world record for monoplanes, staying airbourne in his Antoinette for one hour and seven minutes.

The company dissolved in 1912.

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

How did you get that plane from the film"Those magnificent men in their flying machines" into FS? 😂 😂 Does it "Go up diddy up and go down diddy down" - sorry no music to go with it Tee Hee Tee Hee

Pro Member Captain

For Insight (and others) -
All I wanted was the name of the aircraft and the manufacturer.
Should have indicated that Edited posts would be disqualified, but since Insight is not fully correct then it doesn't matter anyway!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Aircraft Name : Antoinette Monoplane
Aircraft Manufacturer: Antoinette

Pro Member Captain

Insight wrote:

Aircraft Name : Antoinette Monoplane
Aircraft Manufacturer: Antoinette

That's better - but still not fully correct - pity you can't have more than one try 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

gah..

talk about making up the rules as you go along 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

ah well, since I have almost got it -

here is my source for information so the rest of you can have goes at different connetations and spellings to get the answer right Wink

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Aerospace/earlyFrance/Aero46.htm

Maybe it should be called The Antoinette IV Monoplane manufactured by the Antoinette Company

😀

Pro Member Captain

Not to worry Insight - you might get this as a consolation prize -

...... it's a bit rough and ready yet - done it in a rush - PM me with suggestions - mind you these things are not like tattoos - I can change it to Esmerelda next week - if you meet an Esmerelda next week that you fancy 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

LOL

I brought this up as Becky was in the room and neither of us could stop laughing, thats brilliant hahaha

I will send you a PM 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I don't know, I looked several things up, this definitely looks like an Antoinette IV type Levavasseur aircraft, surely fitted with an Antoinette engine (8 cylinders in V formation). I don't recognize the cylindrical (fuel tanks?), but that's not necessary.

Here's a snippet about the A. IV

His airplane was an Antoinette IV, an elegant tractor monoplane (in fact, with both engine and propeller in front) with an effective wing-warping system of control (though Latham was more comfortable with the ailerons with which the Antoinette was usually fitted), and with the Antoinette engine as the power plant. The plane and the engine were the work of a burly red-bearded engineer, Leon Levavasseur. The engine was a water-cooled V-8, meticulously crafted and able to produce 50 horsepower with a power-to-weight ratio of 1 to 4. It was already being widely used by European aviators. It had one fault, however: it had a tendency to cut out.

Taken from my source: http://www.century-of-flight.freeola.com/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Happy to meet you Davec. 🍻

Pro Member Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Thank you Greekman72 - I was only kidding about the disqualification - you can still enter - the fully correct answer has not yet appeared!!!

Pro Member Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

I don't know, I looked several things up, this definitely looks like an Antoinette IV type Levavasseur aircraft, surely fitted with an Antoinette engine (8 cylinders in V formation). I don't recognize the cylindrical (fuel tanks?), but that's not necessary.

A lot of information which I already know (from several sources) - but not the fully correct answer - I am sorry to say.
All I want is the type of aircraft and the manufacturer and so far I have every thing else - I think we established at the beginning that it was the Antoinette IV - now all you have to get is the manufacturer. But I am afraid Bindolaf has had his try!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

davec wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

Thank you Greekman72 - I was only kidding about the disqualification - you can still enter - the fully correct answer has not yet appeared!!!

I notice the phrase under your pic just now Davec Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed .
and i get that you were kidding...no reason to worry 😉

Its an own for me thet you include my name to one of you first(from back day)posts and i appriciate your sence of humor.

And a quiz in your quiz now....If i reach 1.000.000 posts can anyone tell me how many RadarMan will have then...? 😉

As about your beautyfull creation...i dont have any idea about this craft... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Pro Member Captain

Well it's all over now.
Answers :-
Aircraft - Antoinette (IV)
Manufacturere - Gastambide-Mengin Registered 1906 still registered in France according to List of Aircraft Manufacturers.

If anyone wants to have a go at flying this old beaut - can be got at

13th down