Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

The flight of the future

Pro Member Trainee
ALBAINIAN FLYER (eldi90) Trainee

The future of commerecial flight is coming fast.
http://www.monkeytime.com/sciencemaster/galleries/crafts/images/05.jpg

soon pilots might even be replaced by computers completely and its only
a matter of time. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

They could replace the pilots right now
Modern aircraft can takeoff and land via a computer
Its because the public would not like it that they have not pushed for it.
Also we would need some standardization of ATC services and thr replacement of air corridors with Satnav direct flights

Did you know that a lot of aircraft can be remotely controled from the ground 😳

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

OK - you can ditch the pilot - it will be scary Fear - but keep the trolly dollies - 🍻 - no R2D2 type vending machines going up and down the aisles!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Good lord I would never ride in an aircraft without a pilot. That's creepy just to think about 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

In my opinion, there should be always a pilot or two inside the aircraft. Computers can fly the airplane, but what happens if something goes wrong with the computer? No one's there to fix it....

Also, what would happen to pilots if they are replaced by computers? I wouldn't like to be replaced by a computer.

Think about this...our computers are not smart. They don't do what we ask them to do. If we say: "Computer, what's 400 divided by 2?" Our computers don't do anything. We have to command them to do what we want.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

there is no way in hell I would fly in an aircraft without a pilot

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Here's my main fear.

1. Microsoft creats a flying program
2. Flying Program V1.1 implemented into Delta Airlines
3. All goes fine untill halfway through the flight
4. Then suddenly, "Flying Program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down".
or the dreaded BSOD

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol FEM

I think something like that actually happened on some fighter aircraft that was using MS software in it I think.

I will see if I can fish out the details, I can't remember if it was just myth or not but I seem to remember someone telling me about it

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Here's my main fear.

4. Then suddenly, "Flying Program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down".
or the dreaded BSOD

Funny, but true FEM. 🙂.

I would also refuse to fly in a pilotless aircraft. Yes, there would be backup computers for the computers, but that is not the point. A pilotless aircraft is not a safe aircraft in my opinion.

Like Agus said, a computer still has to be commanded to do something, it will not complete a task all by itself.

For example, in a pilotless crash situation, the computer can do two things:

A) Save the aircraft
B) Save the passengers

Which would it pick? How would it pick? A command would still have to be given for it to complete the task.

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

Did I read that one of the first Airbus' (fly by wire + PC) decided it should land when the pilot took it low for a low pass/demo and finish up in the trees? - was it just a myth? Umm...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

i think I have a video of that but was told is was testing the auto land function.. ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Its not a myth

Small video file under 1mb

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3OIDRRE73HB5I29NN9HV8RDDEK

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Its not a myth

Small video file under 1mb

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3OIDRRE73HB5I29NN9HV8RDDEK

Not a very reassuring video, thanks TTT.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

I watched a documentary on National Geography Channel about that. It was awful!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Here's my main fear.

or the dreaded BSOD

Use Linux. The graphics won't be as pretty, but it won't crash (pun intended). 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I think the pilots should reign the aircraft for always-much as I like computers.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

I think the pilots should reign the aircraft for always-much as I like computers.

I also believe it ,the only think maybe i want to add is that they will have more powerful helpful and safer systems to flight their crafts...I dont think that humman excistance will be ever be ''not needed'' although i have the example of ''Pathfinder'' that sometimes makes me thoughtful of this chance...

I personaly have a psychological problem when i get on these two floor buses and step on the second floor which i cant see the driver...As im thinking of myself get on a plane without pilot....hmmmm...i cant accept it...Seems too strange to me...Maybe im an old fushion guy... 😕