Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Floppy drive... Yes or No ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hi folks,

my query is straight forward ➡

Do I need to install a floppy drive in my new computer or not ❓

If Yes, please tell me why.

If No, please tell me why not.

Thanks in advance,
Rick Juggle

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes, for $5 you can use it for many things, the floppy is not dead.
Word Doc.'s, you can store dozens, is one example that I use them for.
I disk per person or company and then store it for other letters.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=10/form_keyword=floppy%20drives/mode=g_us_e_s/skd=1/rd=1/sortby=priceA

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

The trouble with floppy disks though is they are so easily corrupted

however, if you are going to install a RAID configuration on your machine you will need a floppy drive, as insanely - despite doing lots to try and get rid of the old horrible things... Windows XP will accept nothing else when trying to install RAID drivers believe it or not...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I would like to add the a floppy drive also needed to boot your corrupted from dos(windows 98 boot disk for example)and also there are some programms which create ghosts-images of your system like Norton Ghost or Acronics that are using a boot disk in order to start your system in dos mode an reset-up it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I would recommend that you purchase a floppy disk drive, mainly for emergency boot disks like Greekman said, and also for other assorted reasons as stated by other uses in this thread.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thank you everyone,

RadarMan it's kind of you to be concerned about my diasterous financial situation, your a man who always thinks practical.
Well, for word docs, virus rescue disks and the like I've been using USB jump drives for over a year now and find this method less cumbersome than using floppys. 1 disk per person or company translates into 1 folder per person or company- and all of this on one drive instead of many floppys. Of course we all do things a different way and I appreciate your foresight.

Insight your contribution was actually what I had been hoping for, knowing very well that we use the same mobo. Whether in the end I am going to install a RAID configuration I haven't decided yet. But here is where the confusion sets in and this is also the reason why I asked the question in the first place : If the only reason why I would ever be using a floppy drive were to implement a RAID configuration - then to install a floppy drive in the case would be an overkill and additionally would take up extra space in the case. Why instead don't I buy an external floppy drive which connects via an USB port and only pull it out of the cupboard and hook it up when I need it for this one off occasion? But then, as mentioned, this type of external floppy drive connects via USB - I simply fail to understand why one USB device cannot do what another USB device can?? Is it really because the USB floppy drive uses a disk but the USB jump drive doesn't??? It just doesn't make any sense to me but i'm to happy to hear your explanation and follow your advice.
Insight before I leave you to run off and pursue your other pleasurable activities I must ask you how you solved your driver issues.You provided a link to forums dealing with the matter and I was quite shocked to read about the many problems others had as well. One poster (Idon't know if you recall this one) suggested that the problem might have to do with SLI supported boards on which only one graphics card is installed, like in my case. I don't know whether you have 1 or 2 cards installed.
On the other hand, Greekman doesn't seem to have any problems - but I don't think he uses a SLI board. Could this be the issue?
Thank you!

Greekman I've been studying your suggestion and it reminds me of some chapters I have read in manuals but never quite understood. Now, why does a boot disk have to be a floppy disk? Why can't it be a CD? And all this DOS bussiness - now you're scaring me again- isn't there a way to do without DOS in our brave new world?? Yes, yes I can see you chuckle at my seemingly simplistic idea, but I would urge you to have a closer look at the specs of my motherboard ➡

http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=15&l3=0&model=375&modelmenu=1

Pay particular attention to the second paragraph from the bottom:
ASUS CrashFree BIOS2. Can you make any sense out of that??

Trusting that as usual I have caused more confusion than clarification I for the moment leave these matters in your capable hands, Gentlemen and hope you will be coming up with some practical solutions and answers as you all are in the habit of doing.

Thank you all, Rick Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Not to rain on the parade, but I believe the floppy drive is obslolete. Your money is better spent on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM burner.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

First of all i have to apologise for my bad previous post.OMG...i 've done so many errors...Sorry i was in a hurry and dont scan it again... Embarassed

As about the floppy drive i dont think that its money issue cause it is too cheap...I really am thoughtful too why it is yet needed and why some programms use it(Norton Ghost for example) but i can suppose that some applications that need to start from dos mode still want a floppy in order to run...I havent see any system yet that sells without floppy(small exceptions) so maybe there is a reason which manufactures still use it.
I think that we never get rid of Dos cause is the most stable operation in our systems(especially for windows users)and in simple words dos never corrupted as a lot of windows applications...So it saves us sometimes...
Your mobo ,as mine, gives the option to run bios from cd rom but it sais also that ''when a bootable disk is not availible''...This is a point...

Im not answering as an expert in this... i only place my thoughts and im open to any corrections or suggestions...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Greekman,

No need to apologize. Bootable CD-ROMs give one the ability to boot from another OS if they desire to do so. If it is just simply for transporting data from one computer to another, I use a USB flash drive. It holds 1 GB and I can carry it in my pocket.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You are very kind Crash.Thanks a lot.

Im using a USB stick too (512mb) for transfer my data anf for bigger files or back-up im using a portable 200gb USB hard drive.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Ah Tailhook, thats interesting about the SLI boards with only 1 card installed... I do only have one card installed, maybe this is the problem.

I went back to an earlier Beta driver I know works well and still supports the new requirments used in Day Of Defeat Source

If you are having similar issues with your fs after using the latest drivers, please let me know and I will host the driver file for you to download.

What gfx card do you have out of interest?

With regards to the floppy... the cheapest way to go is install one in the case... As windows is only installing when it asks for the RAID drivers I don't know if it would be able to make use of a USB floppy as I doubt those devices would have been initialised at that point..

The floppy takes up very little room and will be pretty cheap...

Which case do you have? I can't imagine a floppy drive taking a huge amount of room.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thank you all,

I'm am responding to your kind suggestions the only way I know how to - in chronological order. In the process I will be quoting all or a part of your messages. If you are not interested in what the other members wrote, just scroll down to your name. Wish me luck...

CrashGordon wrote:
...your money is better spent on a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM burner.

DVD Drive is already installed and running.

Greekman72 wrote:
... floppy drive i dont think that its money issue...

Affirmative : It is NOT a money issue.

...gives the option to run bios from cd rom but it sais also that ''when a bootable disk is not availible''...

Precisely: WHY does a bootable disk have to be a floppy? WHY can the bootable disk not be a CD?

CrashGordon wrote:
Bootable CD-ROMs give one the ability to boot from another OS...

Do I NEED a Floppy drive to boot from another OS? You're stating that "Bootable CD_ROMs" can do that anyway..
Also, what is the difference between a CD_ROM and a "Bootable CD_ROM" ?

Insight wrote:
If you are having similar issues with your fs after using the latest drivers, please let me know and I will host the driver file for you to download.

Thanks for the offer - I might come back to you at a later stage on that. Though I've downloaded those latest drivers in question I have not installed them yet for obvious reasons. I wouldn't mind trying though but I'm still too unclear regarding the "roll back" procedure. You did explain to me how to do it : https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/9032/nvidia-drivers/ - but if you look back, you'll see that I'm still not sure about certain steps.

What gfx card do you have out of interest?

It's a MSI NX6600GT-TD128E
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/vga/vga/pro_vga_detail.php?UID=621
You might want to have a look at this - Drivers related
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=621&kind=2

...of a USB floppy as I doubt those devices would have been initialised at that point..

Please tell me that I'm wrong and where I'm wrong. I understand that the initialisation process happens when you switch on your computer i.e. Windows looking for all your devices, peripherals etc.. However USB devices being an exception here because you can connect and disconnect USB devices at any time without having to reboot. The simplest and most obvious example I can think of is the USB jump drive which many have been using effortlessly for some time.
So I can only conclude that an USB device is being initialised at the moment of connection - in other words - when you plug it in??

The floppy takes up very little room and will be pretty cheap...
Which case do you have? I can't imagine a floppy drive taking a huge amount of room.

Again, the cost of the floppy is NOT the issue.
This is my case: Thermaltake Soprano VB1000SWS ( can't establish a link, sorry)
Plenty of space in the case BUT : These days I seem to be drawn more and more to a minimalistic approach (part of my philosophy in a way).

Okay, now I'm gonna leave you individually and address you as a community again:

Imagine, you don't own a car. The reason is not because you don't like cars, or you can't afford a car but simply because you don't NEED a car. You much prefer to ride your old bicycle. Even in today's world many wouldn't think of this decision as being too "strange".
Everything is fine until one day something really strange happens. Your local Walmart sells windshields "on special" and after much ado the store manager and his supervisor and all their supportive sales staff have managed to convince you that you need that windshield, and hey, let's not forget that it's really cheap.
Arriving back home you unwrap your brand new windshield and start scratching your head. Now what am I gonna do with this, you ask yourself, and why did I buy it in the first place... oh, right - it was cheap. So you fit/install that windshield to your bicycle and your making a pretty good job of it too. Because, apart from the fact that the windshield is impeding your movement, your bicycle is still operational, isn't it?

Brethren, when I started this topic I really thought my query was straight forward and for once I made an effort to be concise. It appears however that I blundered again all the way through the whole thread. What can be done? Though unintended, I fear I've caused a lot of confusion - but my questions still remain. Grandma used to say "When you stop asking questions is when you're getting ready to die."

Apologies to each of you individually or as a group if at any time I've given the impression to be brash or rude - to be impolite in any way was never my intention.

Finally, those who are getting impatient and tired of this topic - I understand and there are no hard feelings.
Those of you who share my dogged curiosity regarding the workings of those ugly looking boxes that have become a part of our lifes, please rejoin the party and let's work this thing out. I'm off to book a huge venue for this event - after all we have about 62446 members and a million or so guests.

Thanks, and hoping to hear from you,
Rick Wall Bashing Blink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol

ok

to sum up

if you want to install RAID drivers.. get an internal floppy drive - as at the point of install no USB interfaces will have had drivers installed so a USB floppy drive would not work to install RAID drivers from.

if you do not want to install RAID do not get a floppy.

If one day you say "hey, i want RAID" - slap one of them in, but it will have to be an internal. Once the RAID drivers are installed - you could always take it back out again to remain minimalist 🙂

Hope this helps 🙂

Not getting tired at all, I find your posting style quite refreshing and amusing to read 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

lol

ok

to sum up

if you want to install RAID drivers.. get an internal floppy drive - as at the point of install no USB interfaces will have had drivers installed so a USB floppy drive would not work to install RAID drivers from.

if you do not want to install RAID do not get a floppy.

If one day you say "hey, i want RAID" - slap one of them in, but it will have to be an internal. Once the RAID drivers are installed - you could always take it back out again to remain minimalist 🙂

Hope this helps 🙂

Not getting tired at all, I find your posting style quite refreshing and amusing to read 🙂

Hey Insight,

if by now you are convinced that I am an ingrate I can't blame you. In fact I saw your reply about five minutes after you posted it but decided to wait for the other guests to arrive - what with me having booked this huge venue for the occasion and might I add I had ordered 68 cases of Champagne, 800 litres of italian icecream and and three 100 pound barrells of anchovies from the Caspian sea.

Despite the effort no one showed except you. I'll be forever in your dept.
On second thought - could it have been the selection of cousine that kept everyone else away?

Bygones... The important thing is that your summing up of the whole thread was a masterpiece not only in its composition as such, but you answered my initial question to perfection. A sincere Thank You Sir Bow Down

Whatever your pusuits in the near future, taking off, landing, crashing, cursing at your gfx drivers etc., if, with my practically nonexisting knowledge in these matters I might nevertheless be of ANY help - you know where I'll be hanging out ...

Greetings and thanks a lot,
Rick 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Dear Tailhook

Sorry for my late reply to you...I have a great idea Idea that maybe solves your problem...Wanna hear???

Well if yes the idea is to get a floppy with a card reader... ❗ ❗ ❗ So you have a ploppy just in case and a card reader for your camera memory(ies).In case of you dont have a camera you can buy one so you can solve all the former problems... 😉 😉 😉 😉 😉

Im just in hummorus mode my friend and i hope you understand it... 😀 😀 😀

Although you can think of it... 😉

P.S. You are a great guy... 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

of course I do not think you are an ingrate my friend 🙂

I am just glad my summation gave you the info you required and helped you come to a decision.

I am sure there are matters on which you are far more knowledgable than myself - probably in the arena of virtual flying (in which I am sorely lacking)

I'll be up for some of that Ice Cream you got for sure 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thank you Insight , I certainly benefited from your info it will stay ingrained in my mind until Microsoft and the Computerfraternity start changing everything around again.

"...arena of virtual flying" you're spot on; but I better not get into details as this would be way beyond the scope of these forums and promptly be Censored
I will devote a chapter of it in my memoirs, though.

The Ice Cream Ermm... Here's the problem: due to lack of space and storage containers I ended up tipping the ice cream, the champagne and the anchovies all together into a few unused gasoline drums - and then we had this freakish rise in temperature lasting for well over 24 hours 😳

Still interested? You're more than welcome 😛

Regards'
Rick

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions