Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Spinning clouds!

Guest Ed Guest

Hey all,

Did you ever notice that in FS09, the clouds rotate when you fly over them? Set up a flight with lots of clouds in the weather, climb up over the clouds, fly straight and level (use the A/P if necessary), and look straight down using the "5" on the number pad. It is easiest to see the cloud rotation if you turn up the simulation rate.

I have always thought that it was a programming trick to save processing time; each cloud has a "good" side, with the most details, and when you pass that cloud it rotates to keep the "good" side facing the airplane.

Any other explanations?

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

but ...

don't clouds spin in real life too?

Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Got a lot of time on your hands Ed? Rolling Eyes

Radar

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Insight wrote:

but ...

don't clouds spin in real life too?

Very Happy

They do in hurricanes, I should know I have been through enough of them. Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Fly over a cloud with the spot plane view directly above the plane. You'll see the cloud rotate. Move the spot plane back a bit and the cloud appears not to rotate. I think it is a fluke of FS programming.

Guest Ed Guest

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Yes, but not as much as you, apparently. *cough cough* 6916 posts *cough* Wink

But really, what else IS there to do on long flights over water, but look at the clouds? Laughing

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Yes, but not as much as you, apparently. *cough cough* 6916 posts *cough* Wink

But really, what else IS there to do on long flights over water, but look at the clouds? Laughing

Ed

ROFL There aren't too many people I could say that to and expect an answer that would give me a good laugh, you I knew would be one.
Thanks for not disappointing me. Thumbs Up!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

Yeah, I noticed that last night when I was over NEbraska. I was flying from KJFK to KSFO. But I didnt get to finish because I pulled up a flight log and my comp freaked out and froze up. It hardly ever does that.

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

It is probably some realism programmed into the flight sim. Hot air rises, as we all know. Clouds form and build higher in columns of rising warm/hot air. The air in these columns rotates and/or spins. Sail plane pilots circle around inside these columns of rising air to gain altitude. If you live in the desert you will see "dust devils", which are miniature
tornadoes that have scooped up a enough dust to make the column visible. Normally the rotation is not visible, unless it contains dust or you
speed up the sim rate while looking down. Cool