Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Refresh Rate

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

How does the Refresh Rate effect FS on a CRT monitor?

Windows XP seems to set the value by default to 60 Hz.

Should I change the value and why?

What should I set the value to?

Umm...

As always, thanks in advance
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It depends on you monitor. If you didn't get a book with it check the monitors site.
Mine is set at 85, the higher it is the less "flickering" that will tire your eyes.
If you set it too high and the monitor isn't built for it you can damage it.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

It depends on you monitor. If you didn't get a book with it check the monitors site.
Mine is set at 85, the higher it is the less "flickering" that will tire your eyes.
If you set it too high and the monitor isn't built for it you can damage it.

Radar

I'm afraid I've opened another can of worms. The only seemingly pertinent information is on the disk that came with the monitor. See below :

Refresh rate

See Vertical scanning frequency.

Vertical scanning frequency

Expressed in Hz, this is the number of fields written to the screen every second in interlaced mode. In non-interlaced mode vertical scanning frequency is the number of frames (complete pictures) written to the screen every second (also known as refresh rate).

Autoscan covers horizontal frequencies up to 70 kHz offering a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 with flicker free display of 1024 x 768 at up to 88 Hz

I can't make much sense out of this. In the Monitor Settings / Screen refresh rate I have the following options : 60 / 68 / 70 / 72 / 75 / 85 / 100 Hertz. These options are available via a drop down menu.
Underneath that menu is a little check box ticked by default followed by: Hide modes that this monitor cannot display --- Clearing this check box allows you to select display modes that this monitor cannot display correctly. This may lead to an unusable display and/or damaged hardware.

This leads me to the conclusion 100 H would be optimal - the higher the better... or not? BUT :
What about the above paragraph: Autoscan covers... etc.?

I know I can be a pain in the proverbial but I just have to know and understand these things. I want to stress that this issue is not urgent - I was just hoping that in the long run I might be able to optimize my graphics display.

Thanks for being patient as usual,
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Mine goes up to 160 hertz, if you set it at 75 you'll have a nice picture and still be safe.
Keep the box checked, you don't want any problems, if you are satisfied with the look now you can leave it at that.

I read once that at 100 or 110 it looks like a photograph, that's flicker free!

LCD's are more "delicate" in their settings than our CRT's.

Read http://www.mysuperpc.com/vcu/monitor_refresh_rate_problem.shtml

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Much oblige Radarman,

things are getting a little clearer thanks to your concise answer and the link you provided.

Yes, and I always click on all of your links and what's more, I even read the whole darn lot... understanding it all is a different story though. 😳

Where on earth do you find them?
This one will take a while to digest but having only just browsed through it, it appears to be covering evrything. Good find.

Thanks 😀
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That link explains it much better than I can and reached the same conclusion, don't mess with it to much. I hate to see any hardware ($) get fried.

Good luck!

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I've set it to 85 Hertz - been going for hours now and nothing's frying except my sausages.

Prior to the adjustment (from 60 Hertz) I noticed an annoying jerkiness in the scenery while flying - this seems to have smoothed itself out now.

As a tentative conclusion I would offer that the issue of jerkiness is indeed related to the refresh rate.

BTW my CRT is a PHILIPS 107E - 5 years old, never given me any trouble and I'll be keeping it til it dies of natural causes. I'm just mentioning this because it seems to me that the highest available refresh rate depends on the year (or decade?) the monitor was built.

So now I'll start messing with my display settings Fear
Maybe I should go for a looong walk first... ❓

Thanks again'
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

PHILIPS makes nice equipment, good LCD monitors.

I've always been happy with 85 and never had problems either.

Radar