Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Disappearing act... nVIDIA

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Folks,

my nVIDIA icon has vanished from the notification area. I went into control panel looking for it but got lost in there.

Any ideas?

Appreciate,
Rick 🤔

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Notification area? Do you mean the control panel.
Maybe it's time to clean out the drivers and reinstall them.

If your looking for the icon to make adjustments it should also be in /start/programs.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Notification area? Do you mean the control panel.
Maybe it's time to clean out the drivers and reinstall them.

If your looking for the icon to make adjustments it should also be in /start/programs.

Radar

Notification Area is what used to be known as System Tray and possibly other obscure "Microsoft Speak" terminology - (unless of course they've changed it again just now as I took a catnap) - inother words the right hand corner of the taskbar where the time, date etc. reside.

You're right, there is an entry in the Start menu but this expands into 4 more submenus which in turn seem to lead to irrelevant maizes... you know the rest. Naturally I tried and messed with all those options.
From experience, anytime an icon is placed into the notification area, it is normally the relevant one. It was there when I first installed the card. Also in the past, when you disabled any of those icons during a session, they would automatically reappear after rebooting.

Thanks Radarman, I'll figure it out in the end
Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if it's still checked in msconfig. If not recheck it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279771

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It's still checked in msconfig : Normal Startup

The link is a different story though.
I found the NVIDIA Settings entry following the article and changed its Behavior from "Hide when inactive" to "Always show".
Unfortunately a "no show"... I doublechecked, the Behavior is still set to "Always show".

Weird 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

There has to be a window in the setup of NVIDIA that will give you the choice to put it into start-up, finding it is another story.

You lost it because Windows works in strange ways. ( Key theme from Twilight Zone).

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'll find it... I'll find it... I'll find it... Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing

You lost it because Windows works in strange ways.

This sums it up.

Twilight Zone??? I was about to accuse you of secretly playing shoot-em-up games on your X-Box - but decided to consult Google first ➡

http://www.syfy.com/twilightzone/

Phew, that was close 🍅

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Can you access it from the contol Panel in Windows?

If not you may have to uninstall/reinstall the drivers Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You can also restore your system if you have a recently restore point.(with all the consequences... :cry🙂Try also to update VGAs drivers.I think that if you do this the icon you search will appears again.

Let us know 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Can you access it from the contol Panel in Windows?

If not you may have to uninstall/reinstall the drivers Crying or Very sad

In the control panel I have "NVIDIA nVIEW Desktop Manager". Opening that gives me no less than 11 tabs all basically dealing with Display properties of Windows - not Graphics as such.

The uninstall/reinstall procedure of the drivers in question is still a mystery to me.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Rick Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

You can also restore your system if you have a recently restore point.(with all the consequences... :cry🙂Try also to update VGAs drivers.I think that if you do this the icon you search will appears again.

Let us know 😉

I considered a System Restore in the first place but decided against it. (I am well acquainted with System Restore as I have used it extensively in the past and therefore am well aware of the possible consequences).
Your reasoning that a driver update would cause the icon to reappear is convincing and is within reach of even my (limited) logic.

As mentioned on previous occasions, I'm reluctant at this stage to make changes to the VGA drivers firstly because of recent horror stories ➡

http://forums.nvidia.com/ (courtesy of Insight)

and secondly because : "uninstall/reinstall - update and [rollback] in case of problems" still looks like Madras curry and strawberry flavored ice cream mixed together in my somewhat limited imagination 😳

Thanks for your concern
Rick Wall Bashing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I know about the Insights problem while he is trying updating his drivers and i dont know what cause this and what solution did he gives.
Although i have update my Nvidia card and other two in some friends systems and we didnt face up in any kind of problem.
My personal opinion is to try it. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

The uninstall/reinstall procedure of the drivers in question is still a mystery to me.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Rick Hack

To uninstall the drivers goto Add/Remove Programs in the control panel.
Look for Nvidia Drivers.Just select them and press delete.
Windows may restart and it will load some generic drivers(very limited in performance,but enough to run the desktop)
Now just reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers.
Windows may ask you to restart the PC and everything should now be upto date and OK

How to update drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

Latest drivers for XP

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.85.html

Other windows here

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Hope it helps 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Windows may restart and it will load some generic drivers(very limited in performance,but enough to run the desktop)
Now just reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers.
Windows may ask you to restart the PC and everything should now be upto date...

This was the missing link : the automatic loading of generic drivers...

Boy, this was a difficult birth. Thanks TTT, the links of course, I have already studied and yes everything seems to make sense so far.

Except: my mobo uses a nVIDIA chipset and so of course does my graphics card - which means that I end up with multiple entries of nVIDIA related items in my add/remove programs, three to be precise. I'm not concerned about deleting the lot, naturally I still have all the disks where I got them from in the first place.
Once I can gather enough courage, I'll go on the full out attack...

What can I say? Thanks 👏 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

I know about the Insights problem while he is trying updating his drivers and i dont know what cause this and what solution did he gives.
Although i have update my Nvidia card and other two in some friends systems and we didnt face up in any kind of problem.
My personal opinion is to try it. 😉

I know what you're doing, Greekman, you're daring me - well I will not disappoint you - after the moon has travelled three more times around my head, I shall prepare for battle.

I can't find the particular reference anymore, but Insight linked us to an independent forum where I found some of the members suggesting that the problem with those new drivers lay with the type of motherboard being used.

Insight and I have the same SLI motherboard - however we both only use one gfx instead of two which the mobo is cabable of supporting. This fact, according to some, causes the problems with the drivers. You on the other hand use a mobo which does not support SLI, hence there doesn't appear to be any conflict.

Even if I tried, I know I couldn't confuse you, as you seem to be accomplished in all matters regarding computers... so I won't even try 😀

Thanks for your support 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

😀 😀 😀

Of course im not daring you my friend Tailhook...I believe that you daring me and i accept it..Anytime anywhere my friend... 😀 😉 😀 😉 😀 😉 ...

Well ,to be serious now ,i have to admit that i miss or i didnt notice that this was an SLI cards problem.You keep continuing teach me my friend and i dont know how i could give it back to you.

As about computers knowledges i ensure you that im not better thaΝ many many other guys here...Just trying and keep learning...

😉 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I also missed the SLI bit Doh!

As for the different drivers,ie one for the mobo and one for the GFX card,they cannot get mixed up(PCs are clever little things,but they are no good without us 😉 )
And seeing as you have the original install discs,you sould have no worries
As they are loaded at different times.
The mobo driver loads before windows and you have to be in windows to load the GFX drivers

I am pretty sure that any entry to GFX drivers will not have a size on disc entry in add/remove programs

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

I also missed the SLI bit Doh!

As for the different drivers,ie one for the mobo and one for the GFX card,they cannot get mixed up(PCs are clever little things,but they are no good without us 😉 )
And seeing as you have the original install discs,you sould have no worries
As they are loaded at different times.
The mobo driver loads before windows and you have to be in windows to load the GFX drivers

I am pretty sure that any entry to GFX drivers will not have a size on disc entry in add/remove programs

NVIDIA Drivers ---------------------------------------------no size

NVIDIA Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP Stereo Drivers-----no size

Those two^^^^^^appear to be exe. files

NVIDIA nTune ----------------------------------------------size 3.25MB

This last one does not have the exe.symbol in front of it. It's the gizmo one that I mentioned previously - I think it's an unnecessary toy to play around with windows sizes and the like.

What disturbs me now is your statement that : "The mobo driver loads before windows and you have to be in windows to load the GFX drivers".

So if I delete those three entries via add/remove in control panel, it is possible that my computer won't boot?

I will have to sign up for adult education classes tomorrow... Fear

Wall Bashing Wacko Wall Bashing Wacko Wall Bashing Wacko Ill

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think that you computer will reboot normaly dear TailhooK.But your screen will have the basic windows performance if you havent install your VGAs drivers.The same thing happens when you format your system.Windows boot normaly in a default screen resolution and then you install your VGAs drivers and adjust it.

I hope i understand well your point cause the last days i have some errors occured during the data proccess of my English. Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Th mobo drivers are held on a chip on your mobo and not on your hard disk(it has to do this to load )

The drivers that I would head for are the Nvidia drivers and Nvidia nTune

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

I think that you computer will reboot normaly dear TailhooK.But your screen will have the basic windows performance if you havent install your VGAs drivers.The same thing happens when you format your system.Windows boot normaly in a default screen resolution and then you install your VGAs drivers and adjust it.

I hope i understand well your point cause the last days i have some errors occured during the data proccess of my English. Embarassed

You're a true friend - you've put my mind at ease. Itrust that if something goes wrong, you won't mind if I blame you... someone's got to take the blame, no? If however I should survive this crisis I will reward you and explain to you who "Oprah" is.
To ease the suspense just a little - I can assure you Oprah is not one of the ancient Greek Goddesses that you had all forgotten about ...

As regards your data processing of English - I can't see anything wrong with that... it's not the data so much rather than a bit of Date processing problems, such as months, years - decades perhaps...

Keep on keeping on,
Rick 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

First of all i salute you CHIEF CAPTAIN Tailhook.

Secondly you can blame me for anything you want if this helps you calm...

Im patient and sure that you havent forget your promise you gave me about explaining ''Oprah''....Take your time...

😉 😉 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Th mobo drivers are held on a chip on your mobo and not on your hard disk(it has to do this to load )

The drivers that I would head for are the Nvidia drivers and Nvidia nTune

Thanks TTT, I almost missed this one (watching champ cars on TV).

I'm reading you crystal clear and this time EVERYTHING makes sense.
All fear and confusion has disappeared - and as a bonus the mailman has just delivered the two memory modules I've been pining for.

Thanks for your determination...
I think I'll postpone that adult education course for another year or two 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Two memory sticks Group Wave

What will be your total ram?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I hope not 2 x 128 in 333... 😉

😀 😀 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

ROFL What a waste 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

What will be your total ram?

Let's see... 🤔 4x512 - Full house - all slots taken!

I hope not 2 x 128 in 333...

I honestly don't know what you are talking about 😳 I am not THAT old, you know 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Let's see... 🤔 4x512 - Full house - all slots taken!

Great...perfect.... ❗ ❗ ❗

But you have said about 2 sticks not 4...Hmmm...are you teasing us dear friend???

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

2 sticks equals 4 / Hack - that's quantum physics a la Rick

I already had 2 sticks , you see Devil

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

2 sticks equals 4 / Hack - that's quantum physics a la Rick

I already had 2 sticks , you see Devil

LoooooL 🙂) 🙂) 🙂)

Albert will surely envy you my friend.... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 2 gig,
That will do it 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

😀 2 gig,
That will do it 👍

I certainly hope so, Sir - I've already comitted myself to living like Mahatma Ghandi in the foreseeable future - oats and water... a little milk perhaps.

Nothing of this 🍻 for some time.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

And some orange juice... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

And some orange juice... 😉

I thought orange juice was only used to spoil the taste of vodka by those who don't know any better... Tee Hee

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Great Mahatma in his last days used to...feed..himself only with orange juice if my memory of reading his biography dont abuse me... 😉

Honor to this Great Man. ❗
(i make clear that its not a political state but administration to a Great Man and it is only my personal opinion) ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Interesting... Iwould have thought that orange juice is too acidy on an old stomach and Gandhi was certainly not known as one who eats a lot.

This cannot be misread to be political anyway because Winston Churchill wouldn't even receive him as a statesman and referred to him as a savage because Mohandas refused to exchange his dhoti for western attire ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

This cannot be misread to be political anyway because Winston Churchill wouldn't even receive him as a statesman and referred to him as a savage because Mohandas refused to exchange his dhoti for western attire ❗

Well i didnt knew the excact reason why he is treating like savage...Thanks for the info dear Tailhook.This is indeed a very serius point about the recognization of a stateman... Wacko

We turn this Nvidia topic to ''History Channel'' topic.I must admit that most of times we discuss my friend Tailhook we have a special ability to go off-topic. 😉 Of course i will be liar if i say that i dont like it... 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you my friend Nope

It's not off-topic -- it's p-o-e-t-r-y

A little bit of innocent humour Baby

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions