Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Whats the best video card

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

Currently we are running fs2004 on emachines 2.30ghz 80gb,256mb with intel(r)82845G graphics controller, now all this worked fine but now he is complaining of slow frame rates and jerkiness and its driving him up the wall and me when he gets going on about it . My Q is what would be an ideal upgrade suitable for this pc ..or would we also have to increase the memory the pc has nothing on it but the sim itself , he has cleaned it out , uninstalled, changed settings and to no avail .. again your help would be greatly appreciated cos I have not got a clue what we need to improve his sim experience

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

I've been told an nVidia GT 6600 is an affordable but powerful graphics solution. I will probably be looking into one after Christmas (to upgrade from my ATi Radeon 9600 Pro).

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Fs9 is a might hungry program for memory and GFX
1st you need to check whether the motherboard has a AGP slot for a new graphics card(or a free PCI slot,not as good but will help)
And 2nd how many free slots for memory(the type of memory and how much can the mobo hold?)

You say it was working fine,so whats happened?
Have you added scenery or anything?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

The less a 512mb of Ram and even better an 1Gb one.As about the Graphics Cards as it is an Intel CPU i could suggest and ATI one:

http://www.ati.com/products/gamer.html.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Graphics_and_Video_56.html

You CPU,and hard drive is enough for the FS.

Be sure that more people will follow to give you more details than me. 😉

The only thing that put edges to an upgrade is your budget.If you feel comfortable to share it with us im sure that we could be more helpful and precise to you. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

hi yeah it was working fine , not sure what happened , some ppl say its the age of the pc , its the memory usage but as i said the pc is only used for his sim programme . the only add on we have is the new plane and that was only yesterday and the problem was well before that .

As for my budget well it will be a xmas presant so anywhere between 75 and 100 I suppose if thats realistic .. How do i check it has the slot available ?

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

turbogold24,

Is the RAM shared with video?? I know that you said that you had a eMachine but they still may have a share for the graphics card? I like ATI X 800 Pro 256 mb unshared. I still ahve problems with jerkiness and frame rates sometimes are slow. When FS9 loads someitmes it doesn't load the same. Never a failure just loads differently.

Regards,

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

turbogold24 wrote:

How do i check it has the slot available ?

As about the cards you can buy with this budget check this link(i edit it to my former post also)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Graphics_and_Video_56.html

You can check you RAM slots by opening your box and check right of the CPU.There must be 3(in most of MOBOs) slots with the one including you ram and two empties(except if you have 2 x 128mb per each).These slots are placed vertical there.(vertical to the ground).

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

God I am gonna sound really thick now but the link you gave me took me to a page with 4 options on HELP !!! i aint got a clue what i am looking for lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Sorry for confusing you Embarassed .As i can suppose your motherboard has an AGP slot so check here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AGP.html

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

what series ? Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Dont have to Embarassed .I have to Embarassed cause im not precise.
Well try all the series and find some models that matches to your budget.Share them here and we will try to help you more.As a matter of fact a great help will be to tell us your motherboards model but i think that it will be another tired proccess for you so let it go... 😀

We are here to help.Some of us more,and some other less(like me...).
Feel free to ask any kind of question... 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

Greekman

thank you so much for your input you are being a great help, now tell me how i find out my motherboard detials and i will get straight onto it lol .. I like a challenge thats for sure

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Downlod and run this programm:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

It will gives you a full image of your systems specs.To the right of the page it sais ''Main Circuit Board''...This is you motherboard.

Its 100% safe programm.no spams,no add ons. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I've been told an nVidia GT 6600 is an affordable but powerful graphics solution.

Whoever told you that was right..I'm using a BFG GF6600gt OC and it is a very solid card. With my P4 3.0E and 1 gig. of RAM it runs FS9 smoothly with high image quality. I can fly the PMDG 737 around any airport, day or night with adequate frame rates to insure smooth performance at all times.

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

Greekman , sorry for delay in getting back to you ok here goes the motherboard is a

trigem computer-inc imperial 1.10
bios :phoenix 6.0006/17/2003

so without me opening the beast up will it accept a upgraded graphics card ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You mainboard has an AGP slot so the followings are some models which matching to your system and to your budget criteria.
But you must also upgrade your RAM at least to 512mb and for better results to 1gb as i have already write.You can check belarc to see what kind of ram has your system and how many empty slots you have.

ATI

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

NVDIA

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600AGP_Series.html

I personaly am a fun of NVIDIA cards but not for a specific reason.I just used to use them.I know that ATI is also great.

Let us know your thoughts.

😉

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

thanks for that ok so I have looked at this one Sapphire ATI Radeon X700 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (11061-00-20) (GX-095-SP) .. in budget the Q is is it a good one and will it help the frame rate problem we are having .. or will all that depend on adding extra RAM to the system ?

i have checked the belarc again and under memory modules it says that one slot has 256mb and slot jsg2 is empty .. can I put any size in that slot ?

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

I am also looking at these on ebay

256mb Saphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (AGP)

ATI RADEON 9250 256 MB DDR (Latest Chipset) AGP8X TVOUT 34

Asus ATI Radeon A9550 Gamer Edition+256MB+AGP8x+DVI-I 60

any help would be glady appreciated

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im not an expert about ATI graphics cards but if i have to choose i will choose the Asus ATI Radeon A9550 Gamer Edition+256MB+AGP8x+DVI-I.

As about memories the recommended is to use the same number of MBs and clock per each slot and from the same manufacturer.

F.E. 2 or 3 x 256Mb in 400Mhz or 2 or 3 512Mb in 400Mhz .

Of course there is always the option of bying one memory stick of 1Gb.(Or 2 or 3... 😉 )

I personally have 3 x 1Gb at 400Mhz from Kingston manufacturer.

Let us know your thoughts.

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

just dozy me again .. where do i find the make of the RAM already installed ( jeezim thick) all it says is the slot number ???? and motherboard name or is it the name of the actual pc emachines ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

turbogold24 wrote:

just dozy me again .. where do i find the make of the RAM already installed ( jeezim thick) all it says is the slot number ???? and motherboard name or is it the name of the actual pc emachines ?

You can use www.crucial.com for checking out which ram you need.
Belarc will tell you also, it's a free download.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

turbogold24 wrote:

You can use www.crucial.com for checking out which ram you need.
Belarc will tell you also, it's a free download.

Radar

I have already send belarc dear RadarMan. 😉

turbogold24

you better copy here the page that belarc feedbacks to you in order to have a clear view of your specs. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

hi guys 😂

ok i have copied the entire belarc page .. lets see if i can get his pc to optimum performance for him lol

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

System Model
eMachines, Inc. Imperial Revision 0.90
Enclosure Type: Other

Processor a
2.30 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board b
Board:TriGem Computer, Inc. Imperial 1.10
BIOS: Phoenix 6.00 06/17/2003

Drives
81.96 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
71.23 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-348B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 4R080J0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0, s/n R21BQ4BE, rev RAMB1TU0, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
254 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J5G3' has 256 MB
Slot 'J5G2' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 81.96 GB 71.23 GB free

Network Drives
None detected

Display
Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]
Proview 15.7 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n FAQC3C0076965, December 2003)

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Bus Adapters
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7

Multimedia
Avance AC97 Audio
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port

Communications
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Dhcp Server: none responded
Physical Address: 00:40:2B:64:0A:E0
WAN Network Driver

Other Devices

USB Human Interface Device (2x)
Intel(R) Graphics Chipset (KCH) Driver
Intel(R) Graphics Platform (SoftBIOS) Driver
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
USB 2.0 Root Hub
USB Root Hub (3x)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

First of all i suggest update your windows to Service Pack 2.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/default.mspx

Seconldy as i cant see the manufacturer of your RAM get the stick you already have(you will open your box anyway)and show it to a local shop to buy a new one same like this,or tell us what it writes and we will try to help you.

If i was you i would better buy 2 new 512Mb of ram (of course in 400Mhz memory clock)and i suggest Kingston ones.But this is more money spending... Dont Know

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

thanks greekman .. the problem with updating his pc is that it is not set up for internet only my pc is .. i have tried swapping wires round but would never get a connection i do have service pack 2 on disc somewhere though if i could do it that way .. belarc tells me there is 42 critical updates missing

anyway looks like im gonna have to get him to open it up tonight and get details .. i want to thank you for your help .

Ill be back Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

No problem.😉

keep us upadted too. 🙂

I (and i believe more than i)appriciate a lot what you have done for your husband.

My wife makes voodoo in order my computer destroyed...

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Turbogold24,

Here is a site dedicated to Trigem and eMachines, maybe some help there.

http://www.emachineupgraders.info/

HTHs

PS....If you do a search on Google for SiSoft Sandra, download the free version, this may give you more information about the mobo, and memory. Plus Crucial has a good system for finding the correct memory, and max size that can be used. I always use their services, and their memory. Their guarantee is the best, VG.
........Sorry to butt in Greekman72, appreciate your efforts, but thought a bit more help might assist.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

Turbogold24,

Here is a site dedicated to Trigem and eMachines, maybe some help there.

http://www.emachineupgraders.info/

HTHs

PS....If you do a search on Google for SiSoft Sandra, download the free version, this may give you more information about the mobo, and memory. Plus Crucial has a good system for finding the correct memory, and max size that can be used. I always use their services, and their memory. Their guarantee is the best, VG.
........Sorry to butt in Greekman72, appreciate your efforts, but thought a bit more help might assist.

There no point to get sorry my friend 😉 .Im not an expert in computers..i just try to help so any more help is acceptable and helps me learn too.I have to admit that i didnt knew this very helpful site you share.

Since im not from UK or US everyday i discover new and helpful things from kindly sharing sites like yours.

Thanks a lot my friend. 😀

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

well i have been a busy girl and found a website for emachines and what memory i cana nd cannot have .. i would appreciate someone take a look and tell me this is right lol .. and does everyone agree i should buy 2 x 512 rather than just 1 256 mb ram ?

cheers guys 😂

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I have already suggest it to you that its more preferable(2 x 512).Wait till some other guys come and answer too. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I go with Greekman72, 2 x 512 best amount, but depends on how deep is your pocket. I would check with www.crucial.com for their suggested memory and prices also, just to get a comparison. Their service, delivery, and backup, in my experience, is second to none.

Pro Member Trainee
turbogold24 Trainee

thanks Ken , I went to there site but i could not find my emachine listed anywhere its the emachine 210 ..

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

That's OK Alison, I did check it out myself, and before I could post my findings, you've done it. Well done, your certainly on the ball.

Had a good look at the other site for your memory, and it looks aok, and their prices are also competitive. I have just one worry in mind, about what you are doing, not your capabilities, but just wondering if the rest of the computer is up to the job. My main concern is your power supply, which can be a critical factor when upgrading, I would say you need at least a 350Watt output power supply. I've had plenty of problems in the past with them, so it pays to know your enemy.

Alison, just a quick query, I'm not being too inquisitive, I don't want to know your address, but what county are you in? I build all my own computers, have got four running here now, if you happened to be closeby maybe I could assist you more, I can get my wife's permission, 😂 😂

Well, I built her computer, and maintain it, so she can't grumble.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

If you dont mind i would like to add that since its a pentium 4 the power suply must be at least 350Watts.
No decent manufacturer or builder put a lower in watts p.s. in this kind of proccessor.Thats of course only my opinion and what i know till now.

Im open to corrections. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Sorry Greekman72, that's something I know little about, as I've never used any Intel products. But again, not seeing the computer, I still don't know what power supply it has. I've seen reputable computers with only 250Wt PSUs. The builders just waiting for them to go wrong, so they can charge for repairs.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Hmmmm Umm... This is a respectful and full acceptable opinion. 😉
But i dont think that manufacturers(especially in computers which the competition is so big)are using such kind of method in order to put their hungry hands in our wallet....Ninja
They have better ways to do it.For example the creation of new and more power hungry applications push us to upgrade and through away our old but still working hardware parts more quick than we ever thought.(see f.e. the systems specs-sources that games need in order to run year by year).
When we buy a hardware part from a simple P.S. till the CPU or VGA most of manufacturers are given from 1 till 3 years warranty so in case of a damaged part we are covered.(in most of cases of course cause there are a lot of tricks in order to persuade us that the damaged was ours fault...but lets leave this point for the moment...)Wacko
And from the other side i ,personaly, when i have something damaged or destroied in my system(thanks God never happens till this moment) i would prefer to through it from the window and buy a new one cause the money will it cost for troubleshooting and repairing would me more than this i will spend for the new one.

Anyway...This is only my opinion of course. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I think you are right, but as I have only ever bought one ready made computer, which either due to my ignorance, or the dishonesty of the seller, was a complete disaster, I have always constructed my own computers ever since. And I suppose I have been guilty of overkill as I always get parts that are over the required specification.

As you say we all have our own beliefs, to which we are fully entitled.

We both have our own ideas, and we are both neither right nor wrong, that is the way of man kind.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

As you say we all have our own beliefs, to which we are fully entitled.

We both have our own ideas, and we are both neither right nor wrong, that is the way of man kind.

Very very well said.And i tottaly agree with you dear friend Ken. 😀