SearchSearch 

Strange landings in FMC

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Ok, I do not get the FMC for PMDG (737). It gives me an approach where I am not lined up with the runway, but rather diagonal and so I have to make a turn myself right before landing, which is rather tricky (overshot on my last try). Not to mention that I was not given an LOC signal, I have not been able to land succesfully using autoland... I do not understand why it is doing this, even tried changing runways and still no luck. Flying from BWI to JFK.

25 Responses

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well I have the PMDG 7637 and the best advise I can give you is to read the manual and use the tutorial flight.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

have a read of this tutorial ad see how it goes

http://www.fsstation.com/content/view/3/36/

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Please re-read my post. I do not need to read the tutorial, I need my question answered, I have re-read the tutorial about 50 times now. The FMC just does not give me a straight path right before the runway, no matter what I do.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

You do have a point, but since none of us can look over your shoulder, can you let us know exactly what you entered into into the FMC?

If need be, I will try to duplicate your flight from the data you provide.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

I have not been able to land succesfully using autoland...

Have you entered your ILS frequency into both NAV radios?

You must intercept the Localizer first and have started your descent on the glideslope, before pressing CMD B on the MCP.
All this, plus the correct altitude, and speed to do a full autoland.

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

CrashGordon, this is what I used: KBWI (0.0nm) -PALEO3-> SIE (87.1nm) -CAMRN4-> KJFK (191.1nm)

At KBWI runway 28 and at KJFK, I tried all runways.

Michael_H wrote:

I have not been able to land succesfully using autoland...

Have you entered your ILS frequency into both NAV radios?

That may have been my mistake on getting glideslope and LOC, I entered 109.90 because that is what it said in a tutorial I followed previously, I assumed it was always the same. How would I find out the ILS frequency?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Try http://www.airnav.com/

I'll be tied up this evening, but will give your data a try tomorrow.

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. That doesn't fix however the fact that I am not lined up correctly with the runway, FMC just doesn't give me the correct point to do so...

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll try your route tomorrow and I'll also try KBWI (rwy 28 ) PALEO3 ACY V229 PANZE V44 CAMRN KJFK (rwy 13L)

Last edited by CrashGordon on Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Wink And if that second one works, be sure to let me know what you used to generate the route!

Pro Member Chief Captain

FSBuild 2

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

That may have been my mistake on getting glideslope and LOC, I entered 109.90 because that is what it said in a tutorial I followed previously, I assumed it was always the same. How would I find out the ILS frequency?

Crash is right. Airnav.com is a good source. You can get them from within the sim also by opening the map and clicking on the airport.

As you can see, they are not all the same, and none of them have an ILS frequency of 109.90

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think you've found the solution. I was looking at the route which was not the problem. Not being a fan of autoland, it didn't occur to me that the ILS frequency was the culprit. Bad me! Whip

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

What is FMC and what is autoland? Thanks a lot 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Flight Management Computer. Autoland gives the plane the ability to "fly itself" down the ILS to the runway. I don't use it much because there isn't much point to being a pilot if you never get to fly the plane. 😉

TSK1 Guest

CrashGordon wrote:

I think you've found the solution. I was looking at the route which was not the problem. Not being a fan of autoland, it didn't occur to me that the ILS frequency was the culprit. Bad me! Whip

Yes, I am sure it messed up autoland but does not explain the route FMC gives me. Is it normal that I am going diagonal on final? I can land fine when straight but tried yesterday on actually following FMC and I overshot my turn once near the runway. I always thought you would be flying straight on final without any turns necessary 200 feet from the ground.

CrashGordon wrote:

Flight Management Computer. Autoland gives the plane the ability to "fly itself" down the ILS to the runway. I don't use it much because there isn't much point to being a pilot if you never get to fly the plane. 😉

That's why I have been practicing manual landings 😀.

Pro Member Chief Captain

No, you shouldn't be flying diagonally. I've got one emergency chore to do this morning, but when I get back, I will try flying your route and see where it gets me. 😉

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Now are you talking about being lined up with the runway but the plane being "crabbed" as it comes down? (i.e.: nose into the crosswind). I believe the computer is programmed to do this on autoland.

If you're talking about your final approach being diagonal to the threshold, then it sounds like you're dialing the ILS into NAV1, but not dialing the ILS course into the MCP (right by the heading or speed knob, I forget which). You'll see the 3 didgit course right next to the ILS frequency when you look it up in the map. That's just as important as getting the frequency right 😀

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

No crosswind is present.

And yes, I was talking about the exact thing you described in your first sentence of the second paragraph. There are two degree measuring places on the dashboard, one is called course and the other heading. Is that what you talking about, which one do I use, and what do I enter? Do I enter the heading of the runway when I get to it, or on the ground? When I enter the heading, will FMC automatically change where it is going (which I can see using LEGS > STEP)? Thanks.

Pro Member Captain

Now as I recall, the FMC should do most of this work for you. If you select in the DEP ARR page the approach you're on, and there happens to be an ILS for the runway, all you have to do is go back to the INIT REF page, Vref speed with flaps, and read the ILS frequency and course right off the page. (I've flown with 4 Boeing FMC's recently, so I'm not sure which one displays this info and which one doesn't anymore 😉 ) If not, you can just go into the map, click on the airport, and find the Runway number, ILS frequency, and course (i.e. 310) in a chart at the bottom of the info.

Take that info, say it says something like 109.90/110 for example, and enter the frequency into nav1, and go up to the course and enter 110. The heading is where you currently want your aircraft nose pointing, but the course is the "radial" you're trying to intercept. In other words, since the ILS or VOR is fixed in place, you can draw a line out from it in any direction you want (the course), and then fly a (heading) towards the line so you can intercept and follow it. Since the ILS is fixed at the runway's edge, you want to intercept the "course" from it that is right in line with the runway.

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

The FMC did not seem to do the work, but it was very simple following your instructions Embarassed. Everything went well, LOC signal displayed and glideslope and everything else except what I am about to describe. I made my first attempt at it. I landed very smooth but never engaged autopilot B (so I guess I never actually engaged autoland). Reading a tutorial, I am suppose to engage it after G/S becomes the active roll mode. It was suppose to display in the FD box on the right (those are the boxes with the green text saying which things are enabled, like VNAV, VNAV, VOR LOC or whatever other autopilot options you are using, right?), but I never noticed any of the boxes change to this. Please let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

On a side note, thank you everyone, VERY helpful 😀!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, I sure wasn't much help. Tried to duplicate your flight. Got to JFK alright, but the only way I was able to land the plane was by smacking the FMC with a hammer and flying manually. Now I gotta clean all those keys up from the cockpit floor. Embarassed

I'm going to try to wrap my head around it again, but I may take tomorrrow off. I flew about 7 hours today (no time compression). My last flight was for the VA I'm with and I was dumb enough to fly a route I was unfamiliar with at night. I managed to complete the flight, but there were some tense moments. I have to unwind.

Pro Member Captain

That's just strange. So you entered the Nav1 and Course info into your radio/autopilot panel? I don't fly the autoland often enough to catch these bugs, but I think I do remember having a couple once and a while. We'll crack this one yet!! 😀

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

originalgrunge wrote:

That's just strange. So you entered the Nav1 and Course info into your radio/autopilot panel? I don't fly the autoland often enough to catch these bugs, but I think I do remember having a couple once and a while. We'll crack this one yet!! 😀

Yes, I entered both course and nav1, but I also added nav2. Should I not do that?

On another note, why does ATC not list all the available landing options? At JFK for example, it only gives me runway 22L and 22R and that kind of messes up FMC.

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

While I have not flown the PMG 737, Others that I have flown including 727, DC-9, DC-10, L1011 etc I have not had to worry about the Nav 2 settings. Usually set the proper ILS frequency on Nav 1 and set the ILS course (Course setting on the auto pilot) and make sure that I am at the proper altitude (you must intercept the glide slope from below) at have my approach speed set to 160 or below (usually 150). If you approach speed is to high you will not properly intercept the glide slope. This should take you down the proper glide slope to the runway. Note: watch your approach speed. I have found that to low of a speed and I end up touching down short, and to high and I bounce back into the air and usually have to go around.

Some times, with all you have to set up, use of the ILS auto landing feature is more difficult than doing a visual or GPS landing.

I have had problems at Port Columbus and Yeager (Charlston WVA) as the glide slope is off in FS9.

I hope this helps.

As to the reason you do not have all the runways listed, ATC will only list the runways that are active based upon wind direction. FS9 does not support, on its own, cross wind operations but some add on software makes cross wind operations available.