Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

More specific sites infos?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I just thought of asking and discussing(if someone is willing to do)about an idea-question for the new posts in the forums.

As we all know very well when we login we notice an orange(for my eyes 😳 )blinking litle page in front of the forums that new posts has posted and also in the specific topic inside the forum.
Thats great,but i have notice ,and i think most of us, that sometimes a post that maybe we have to notice or in some cases refers to us has buried from others and we miss it.I know that we must be more careful but i have to admit that sometimes it has happend(at least to me).
In order to avoid that i personally start from the begining and check about whats new.And the question now.Is there a way in order to make new posts in a specific topic blinking or anyway give us a sign for the new ones?

Another point that i was reffer to in past was the issue of online members that there is no way(except the registry members in the bottom of the forums page)to see who is online.The ''registry users'' shows only a few members that are online not all of them.

If there is no way to get informed for such thinks,do you think that its the time this site get upgraded.Of course its useles to say that im more satisfied from the sites services and utillities but the enemy of ''good'' is the ''better'' 😉

Im open to corrections 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I don't like to see posts that don't have answers or comments. It looks like no one cares about reading it and replying to it. And that's what I don't like.
I didn't notice this post because for some reason the orange little sheet wasn't there.
It happens to me too.

I agree with you Greekman. However, when there are loads of new posts it could be annoying to see plenty of blinking posts in every forum.
Maybe having a bold text as the subject of the post should do the job too.

A while ago there was a list showing who was online. This list was placed on the right side of the screen. That was very useful. One day, that list vanished and I've never seen it again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Captain Agus you are a great guy. 😉

Although if this post having more responce we could send a pm to Flyaway with are proposals in order to check if he could do something about these minor but although problems... 😉

The no responce isnt a bad sign,its easily translated that the others dont have or dont care about the specific problem...Its excpectable and normal... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Hi Greekman,

Go to the "Fly Away Simulation Forum Index"

At the top right of the forum index there are 3 links

View posts since last visit
View your posts
View unanswered posts

Would these help you in anyway?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Hi Greekman,

View your posts
View unanswered posts

Thanks for your help dear Insight(as you always willing to do 😉 ).I know about the usage of these three options,altough my thought was about an extra sign in all the new posts inside the topics and also a board or something which we can see all the online users. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

the trouble is that would need additional coding to what is probably a standard portal software, i doubt very much it is a standard option that can be switched on 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

the trouble is that would need additional coding to what is probably a standard portal software, i doubt very much it is a standard option that can be switched on 😞

Yes i believe it too.Is it difficult to refresh sites options with such kind of coding?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Hi Greekman,

View your posts
View unanswered posts

Cool! I've never seen that 🙂

Greekman, you are right about sending a PM to Fly Away with the proposals. That could be a good idea. It's always good to upgrade the websites with new features. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

This site is run using PHP Nuke which is a portal driven software.

This means it is possible to customise the code and add special features - it is even possible that someone out there has already written what you have suggested but it would need our silent friend Fly Away to look into whether someone can make the mod..

I still don't entirely understand the requirements for what you need to happen, it is possible that I could write something for the site but obviously would need to be in touch with Fly away for me to test the modification and to put it in place when its tested as ok.

Adding modifications to the forum also means that future upgrades for Fly Away would potentially become more troublesome to perform

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Sorry dear insight for not making myself clear about what i would like to see...My Censored bad English is always a pain in the Ass for me... Embarassed Deeply apologise and i will try to be more specific and clear.

Well there are two points.

The one ,which i think you get it, is that i would like to see a panel or something that we can all see the members which are login that moment.

The second one is the following.
I would like to see a sign about the new posts inside the topics since the last login. I mean for example that... we see a topic with 4 replies in it.We logout and when we login next day we see that there are 8 replies.
I would like the 4 new to be signed with something.

I hope make myself clear dear Insight. Wall Bashing

As about the trouble of all this...Yes i can understand that maybe is timespending and useles for a minor issue like this and i can clearly understand that there are things more important in order this site keep leaving.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Do not apologise for your English Greekman my friend, I should be apologising for the complete inability to speak your language 🙂

I understand what it is you are after now and I think that the first one might be an option that Fly Away can switch on or seems likely that someone somewhere has probably already written for PHP Nuke, maybe you could private message him.

The 2nd one is quite complicated to do and probably beyond my level of skill I am afraid, also it is probably something that has not been written for PHP nuke yet 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I was just looking around and found this page that shows who is online and which forum they are reading:

Does this help?

Pro Member Chief Captain

It would be cool if Flyaway can add a Chat Room here so we can chat whenever we want. And what about a Screenshots Forum? Sometimes the gallery has some problems and people can't add screenshots. Also many people find that it's hard to upload a screenshot there. A screenshot forum will not have those problems and it will be easier to upload screenshots.

Last edited by Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) on Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

An IRC chat room would be the easiest thing to use, you need an IRC client like the one at www.mirc.com but fly away could make a link so that once you have that installed it throws you right into the room...

IRC is quite basic but it serves the purpose... again, if Fly Away is interested in doing such a thing I can get him a IRC room setup free of charge with GameSurge

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's cool! You seem to have a very good knowledge with that 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Insight the link you post me says about the registred users as in the main forums page.But its obvious that there are more.For example it sais about 26 members online and it shows 3 registred this moment.

As about Agus thought about chat room my opinion is that i would not like to see a chat room here(sorry for having a different opinion from you my friend Captain Agus... 😉 ).

I know that it would be cool and it will offer us a quicker way of communication bad from the other side my personal(i make clear that its only personal)opinion is that i like this feeling of waiting and looking forward to see a reply or a new post and the way that a dialog grows up in the topics...Maybe im a litle romantic and apologise for it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

When I looked in it, it told me on the main page there are 12 "users" online... in the more detailed page it shows me that 1 is registered (me) and 11 are guests...

Pro Member Chief Captain

You are right Greekman. Maybe people will leave the forums and spend their time in the chat room.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

As you can see in the following shot it sais that there 13 members online and one registered.How can we see the names or i would like to see the names of the other twelve?

Thats my point dear Insight.

Altough im suspicious that maybe i miss something so im open to any suggestions or corrections. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Ah,

I would say the box on the left is incorrect - OR those people are searching other areas of thew website (downloads etc) whereas the other screen shows those actually on the forums 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I believe the one on the left is the total for all of Flyaways different sites and the one on the right is us.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I believe the one on the left is the total for all of Flyaways different sites and the one on the right is us.

Radar

I dont believe this dear RadarMan because many times i know that some members are in and they dont show up in here...I ensure this cause i was in PM with them and ask them about. Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm not exactly sure what your looking for but...
When you see a new post there is a "button" to the extreme left, it looks like a bell and is orange.
To the right of that Is a small arrow and an orange mark (It looks like a piece of paper).
If you click on that piece of orange paper it'll take you to the last post that you have read and you can go on to see the new posts instead of scrolling through all the back ones.

If everyone already knew this, sorry for posting this.
Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well thank you very much RadarMan.
😉
I admit that i have never try this Embarassed But since i have read all the other topics i must wait for new posts to check it.

Thanks a lot again and im really sorry for cannot make myself clear in this point.My bad English again... Crying or Very sad Wall Bashing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well seems to be working 😀

Thank you for another one time Grandmaster Of Solutions RadarMan Punk Punk Punk

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 It works quite well. saves a huge amount of time with all the posting we have at this site.

Radar