Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Speed Reading

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

Does anyone know the proper technique to speed reading - I have to read like 450 pages in 2 days, among other things, and I really don't want to stay up reading this textbook - Any ideas? I try to skim through and keep my eyes on it, but it doesn't work. Is anybody proficient in this? I understand there are classes for it, so is it so extensive, it can't be taught in a forum? Shocked --- Thanks for your help Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Since I've never been formally trained, I don't know if I can help you, but since I've been tested at 1800 words per minute at 85% comprehension, I'll tell you what I do.

Instead of wasting time scanning the page line by line, left to right, I go straight down the page since you can see the entire page without the side to side motion, It takes practice, though.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Very impressive Crash!

I've never done the formal training route, what "speed reading" I can do just comes from experience (reading journal articles, textbooks, you name it). Sorry Crosscheck, sounds a little too short of a time frame to learn this one Wink . However, moments like this will eventually start to add up and you'll get a pretty good handle of it over time!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for the tips guys - I'm currently on page 53 Confused - Alot more to go, and it's frustrating - I just visited the forum to take a break - This really is a skill I need to learn Wink

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Haha, I know how you feel crosscheck. I've been working on some semiconductory theory homework and taking some breaks here and there as well. Sadly speed reading won't help my problems Wink .

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

So what is the textbook about crosscheck?

Pro Member Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

So what is the textbook about crosscheck?

Russia and it's republics...in detail Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Sounds very thrilling. Wink

I'm thankful that I am not you!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Currently on Day 2, page 384 Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Cheer up. You're almost done. Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, I'm finally finished with that blasted book! Confused - I still have other work to do, but hey, the hardest is done Shocked . It can be quite a struggle getting through these with patience, but hey, I'M DONE!! Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Congrads on finally finishing your book!! Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Well done, Crosscheck!

Why did they ask you to read that book in 2 days?

Pro Member Chief Captain

We're being prepared for mid-terms -- We have a "mock" exam coming, just to get an idea of where we need improvement, but it's being heavily graded. School's a mystery Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Sure is a mystery, our new nationwide system called 'NCEA' is rubbish. You dont even get your marks back in percentages. Rolling Eyes I have History and Science exams coming up in a week or so, better get studying flat out.

I failed the mock exams that we did a month or so ago, however they are a year ahead of what I actually am.

Oh well, schools out for 8 week Christmas break in 4 or so weeks, so that is something to look forward to, at least. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

We're being prepared for mid-terms -- We have a "mock" exam coming, just to get an idea of where we need improvement, but it's being heavily graded. School's a mystery Crying or Very sad

I got it.

In my school I had to take some mock exams too. They were a bit hard... Confused

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i agree with crash about the up and down scan, i speed read but have never been tested and believe you would need to have someone with you to demonstrate it.

Micah Wink