Overspeed

BashDaBish Guest

I was cruising at FL330 at Mach 0.80 in a default Boeing 737 on my way from Miami Intl across to The Dominican Republic. I had FSPassengers running and things were going well. The max speed on the Boeing 737 is Mach 0.82. Because it was a short hop (1hr30ish) I decided Mach 0.80 was a good speed as opposed to 0.78 on my longer journies.
But, a sudden wind change caused me to overspeed and gave me a temporary speed of 0.84......FSPassengers didn't like this and I was penalised.
The same happened on a flight over the UK at FL230 and 320 KIAS. This made me go to 340 KIAS and cause another overspeed. The autothrottle compensated for this by reducing power but I still received penalty points.

Does this happen in real aviation and what can I do to prevent this?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

I dont know the answer unfortunately, but i find i have the same problem with fspassengers, penalties when i feel there is nothing i could do!!
Probably not a realistic situation but still a wonderful program!!

Micah 😉

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Well, usually in real aviation I believe there is a reasonable buffer kept to keep the plane below an overspeed, but mostly it's just a problem with the FS winds. If you have FSUIPC (i'm not sure if it's in the freeware module or not, but it should be!), there's a wind-smoothing option that you can program to cause the windchanges to be less dramatic. It doesn't make them less realistic, it simply makes them more reasonable. ActiveSky or FS on-line weather usually don't get consistent reports from one point to the next, and can load some pretty crazy winds from time to time!

I was flying the HNL to SFO route in a 767 once and saw the wind going from 60 kts at my tail to 80 or 90 kts almost full into my nose. I tweaked FSUIPC a little and it was able to iron out those rogue wind-changes where the reports were a little off into a nice steady wind from my 8o'clock.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Originalgrunge is correct. To simplify, while wind speed and direction may vary considerably from one METAR to ther next, in the real world, the change is gradual. In FS, the data from the new METAR is loaded and your winds change very suddenly.

I won't pay the steep price to register fsuipc, so I just fly slower to avoid being penalized by FSPassengers. The fault is not with FSP, it has no way of knowing the world just hiccupped.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

If you download the updated version of FsP (This also fixes translation errors, although the "Passengers feared by turbulance" thing was funny) It will give you like a 2-3 second overspeed buffer because people complained about it penalizing right away.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Now, if they'll only stop the flight attendants from giving the captain so much coffee and beverages that his bladder explodes...

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

😂 Hahaha, my, what has the world of virtual piloting come to! 😂

BashDaBish Guest

Cheers chaps

I have downloaded the update although 2 to 3 seconds probably isn't enough time for me to disable A/T and get the spoilers up to slow me down. That update may even calm the co-pilot down a bit when coming in for a slightly heavy landing.....he screams like a little girlly

It never even entered my brain cell that FSPassengers was at fault. I knew it was FS to blame.

Thanks all

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hahaha! I hate it when he screams, "I love you, mom." just before you crash. We all know which two words are most likely said. 😂

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Wow this FS Passengers program sounds great. Where can I get it?? 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks you very much 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...