SearchSearch 

2 YEARS later and I made it......

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Finally,

Nearly 2 years after I first started playing flight sim, I have managed to get 300 passengers from 1 airport to another without crashing.

(sorry, it was in the dark)

I am still not 100% happy with it though.

I was using the autopilot (admitially) to land, but the 747 still came in steep and fast. I was coming in with flaps on 35 and at 160 knots.

Is this about right in normal weather conditions?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks
Leachus

15 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Congratulations! I've been flying FS for 6 weeks and I'm happy if I can land myself safely in the 172SP.

HL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

HardLanding wrote:

Congratulations! I've been flying FS for 6 weeks and I'm happy if I can land myself safely in the 172SP.

HL

Congratulations!

Flaps 35 at 160 KIAS does sound about right, depending on how heavy you are, but either way, it isn't too fast. Well done 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Congradulations on your landing, a great acheivement! 👍

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Congratulations Leachus.
full flaps at 160 knots sounds about right..What kind of a fuel load did you bring back?... 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Congratulations Leachus... 👍
You manage to do something which i havent manage yet... Embarassed At least in a not ridiculus way... Wall Bashing

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for the support peeps.

I am just in the middle of completing a flight from FWE to LGW so I will post a screenshot if I make it.

Leachus!

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Is that the game's 747 or the PMDG 747? Good landing by the way 😀

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Actually 160kts and full flaps is too fast. With full flaps, a medium size load of passengers and cargo, and around 30,000 - 40,000 lbs of fuel left (somewhere around where you'd like to be), full flaps would give you a speed of roughly 140, maybe even less depending on your load! 20kts over that would definitly bring you in pretty steep. I've had landing Vref speeds of 136 and 137 kts in the 747 before, so it's certainly a reasonable speed.

I don't have any sites off the top of my head right now, but there are plenty which can provide you landing data. All you have to do is check your gross weight, look it up in a table with your flap setting, and you'll have your reference speed for landing. Your landings will get smoother every time 😉

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

Congratulations, a mile stone! If you are coming in too fast (as originalgrunge confirmed) and it is a steep decent, once you are below 270 knots, deploy the gear (I am pretty sure there are no problems with this, I read it in a manual somewhere). Also remember to use the spoilers (air brakes) to slow yourself down and if your speed starts to go low, then simply retract. By the way, how come you came in with 35 degrees of flaps? Is 25 degrees not the standard value... were you too high during your descend? If you follow all that I said before, and your speed is still too high, then your approach was probably too steep. That is some newbie advice from me.

I got the PMDG 747 two weeks ago and landed it perfectly (except I was not dead on center) with all autopilot off for the first time two days ago. Just followed the glideslope signal once I got it and all went well. Then again, I already had two months of practice from the PMDG 737 which I never figured out how to do an auto-land in, although I used autopilot to control my speed for the most part in the 737. What trouble did you have before?

Pro Member First Officer

whoops - didn't manage a landing at LGW - had to declare 2 missed approaches as there was a fault with my Nav system.

I will post a screenshot soon

Pro Member First Officer

Just thought I would post another screeny as I am on my way from BHX to Palma.

Leachus

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

ooooo.. that cool, i like the tail design on it 😎 keep them pictures a coming. OH and by the way my BAe 146-300 crashed into the ocean when auto-pilot failed 😞 just think about all those waterloged turkeys. Crying or Very sad

Flyboy92

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

TSK wrote:

... once you are below 270 knots, deploy the gear ...

DO NOT deploy the gear when you're that fast, you'll definitly start to damage something!! Although you were spot on about deploying spoilers to get yourself down to the proper speeds. You should be at 250 and below under 10,000 feet, and then by the time you're making your turn to final expect to be at 180kts. From there you can hit 160 by about 10 miles out and down to your Vref (somewhere around 140kts probably) when the glideslope starts to move. You can deploy your gear by that point for sure!

By the way, great pictures!!

Pro Member Trainee
TSK Trainee

originalgrunge wrote:

DO NOT deploy the gear when you're that fast, you'll definitly start to damage something!!

Well, the manual that comes with PMDG 747 says that 270 is the max speed, take a look at "limitations." That is why I said it, although if the manual is un-updated, let me know Wink. I usually deploy mine when speed goes under 200.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

I feel that it depends on speed AND altitude. For example if your a Flight level 10 desending to 5000 and holding 190 knots i would wait until i could see the runway, or if the weather isnt ideal i would wait until i was cleared for the ILS, correct me or give me your opinions.[/quote]