SearchSearch 

FS2004 or CFS3 Which do I buy

I am about to buy a new pc capable of running all the games I previously only dreamed about, can anyone tell me the difference between "Flight" sim and "Combat" sim in simple terms.
I have seen most add on packs I am interested in run on both, Should I buy Flight sim costing more or just the cheaper Combat sim?

Thanks in advance for any info.

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Combat is World war planes and you are set different mission and fs2004 is commercial aviation and planes like cessna and props. You can create flights and select famous flights in FS.

Personally iw ould get FS

SteveT wrote:

Combat is World war planes and you are set different mission and fs2004 is commercial aviation and planes like cessna and props. You can create flights and select famous flights in FS.

Personally iw ould get FS

Think I will go with the fs2004 version it has a lot more add ons both in terms of scenary, planes and airports.

Thanks for posting a reply much appreciated. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

FS = flight sim

CFS = combat flight sim

If I had to start over again I would get fs9 (FS2004) because it is the most recent and best one.

Additionally I would get CFS2 because by now it's really cheap to buy, it's great fun and in my opinion better than CFS3 (I own both).

Don't do this ➡ Wall Bashing

Think about it for a while - and then decide. I'm sure you'll make the right choice 😀

Pro Member Trainee
ANThrx Trainee

I own both and am pretty new to all this. CFS3 is kewl.. i mean cool 😂 in ways because of its actual combat and trying master the aircraft to fit the assigned mission... bombing, dog fight, etc... and is alot of fun.

FS9 goes more in depth into the actual aircraft being that you have to get it running, if you choose, and communicat with air traffic control and following waypoint, using GPS alot of different stuff...

It is realy up to what you want out of it... the action of the combat (which by the way can take a while to fly to it unless you hit the warp key) or trying to take off in an aircraft and follow what ever flight plan your choose ( or preset ones for you ) to its destination while making that landing in the roughest crosswind at night...

Personaly I prefer FS9. I like the addons, complexity of some crafts, and the challenge the bring. I also like to sight see. If I could only get one... it would def be FS9.

Good luck to you
and remember I'm just a newcomer that happens to own both.. you might get better input from other peeps just wanted to give mine.
L8r

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

heathens!!!

Fly IL2 with Pacific Fighters merged install for a far superior combat experience!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

heathens!!!

Fly IL2 with Pacific Fighters merged install for a far superior combat experience!

I beg your pardon!!! Evil or Very Mad

I still have CFS2 installed and I'm not gonna get rid of it until something better is on the market. I uninstalled CFS3 after only 4 months and haven't even given a reinstall a single thought.
Being able to land on a carrier should be part of every CFS - whether it's historically, politically or realistically correct or not.
During the FS 2002 days I bought Flightdeck2 by Abacus to up the ante... what a disappointment - full of bugs even after updating and the visuals where disappointing. So I went back to CFS2 and pushed up the challenge bar.
Your suggestion to merge IL2 with Pacific Fighters is undoubtedly a healthy one - how many kids who just start out will be able to afford both Sims though? When Pacific Fighters was first advertised, I was very tempted because of the carriers. What actually held me back was my experience with everything I mentioned above - and yeah - I had IL1 for a while before I returned it to the shop.
I bought FS2002 and CFS2 at the same time and was immensely impressed that I was able to import and export a/c at will. All of the combat a/c worked flawlessly in FS 2002 as well as all the a/c from various add-ons such as Sabre vs. Mig and Vietnam Air War. Off course, the fighters had no guns in FS 2002 nor did they have Tail Hooks Wall Bashing But to my great delight I discovered that I could take the Sopwith Camel straight out of FS2k2 and drop it into CFS2 and guess what...? Suddenly the Camel had guns and you could even fly 'quick combat' mode and create havoc.
I figured with the Camel being so slow I should be able to land on a carrier even without a tail hook just using the breaks and that's how I found out about the guns: Trying to break with the gun trigger on the stick, instead of the breaks, I got the guns, hence was forced to do a touch and go, turned back in disgust and sank the carrier. Sure, I got a bit of flak... nothing too troublesome for a real Ace, though.
Unrealistic? Of course. -- So what. Who said we shouldn't have a bit of fun with our sometimes too serious hobby.
So today, apart from fs9, I still have FS2k2 and of course CFS2 installed. Everytime you so much as mention your Spit Insight, I drool over the pics and get carried away but I reckon in the Pacific I'll always get the better of you in my Zero Devil

Okay, now let's get back to simming 😀

Thanks for all the advice, I bought Flight Sim 2004 (FS9) and IL2 Sturmovic Forgotten Battles.
Flight Sim was £19.99 from PC World (online price only) so the decision was made for me at that price.
IL2 was £5.99 available at most outlets so I got that for a bit of combat flying.
Again thanks for the help and advice. 😀