64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
A plane without winglets
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]

Total Votes : 14

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

This shouldn't get too technical but it's something that's of intereset to me.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I hate them. Small ones I can deal with but the 737 ones are horrible. Now, I know it's not an aesthetic issue, but still. I hate 'em.

I can deal with the tiny ones, that are kind of triangular and go up and down below the wingtip - I think I've seen a couple of Airbus' with them.

In general though - no winglets!

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Personally I prefer wings over winglets.

Seriously, they do perform a service, but I think they spoil the graceful looks of any airplane they are on. In short they are ugly.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

All Airbus aircraft have winglets. I really like them. They look very nice ❤️

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I can't say I really care to be honest 🙂

I am interested in what they do though 🙂

ANyone care to tell me? 🙂 Some additional stability?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I think they perform somewhat similar to a wing fence (a strip of metal running across the chord of a wing) in that they give a slight increase in lift by eliminating the airflow spillage around the wing tip creating a smoother airflow in the wing tip area.

Maybe someone else has more to say on them.

They are still ugly IMO. 😂

Pro Member Captain
Taylor (Flyboy92) Captain

I like planes with or without winglets. 🙂 But when the 737's get winglets that are 10 miles high... those are the ugly ones! Puke Up So there is my opinion. So with or without i really don't care.

Flyboy92

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Winglets stop air on the top of the wing and on the bottom of the wing mixing to make the wing more fuel efficient. More importantly, when the high pressure on top of the wing mixes with the low pressure under the wing, it creates an extremely powerful vortex, known as wing vortices. These have been known to bring down aircraft. Winglets greatly reduces the vortices. I personally like the look of them and their purpose 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

As I read I can see that they do some good. or they wouldn't bother putting them on.
I don't like the way they look. (Birds don't have them) 🙄

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

As I read I can see that they do some good. or they wouldn't bother putting them on.
I don't like the way they look. (Birds don't have them) 🙄

Radar

lol 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I dont like the real big ones,but I know they are there for a reason 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Winglets stop air on the top of the wing and on the bottom of the wing mixing to make the wing more fuel efficient. More importantly, when the high pressure on top of the wing mixes with the low pressure under the wing, it creates an extremely powerful vortex, known as wing vortices. These have been known to bring down aircraft. Winglets greatly reduces the vortices. I personally like the look of them and their purpose 😉

jolegg, as usual you have given a detailed and correct description Yes I would have liked you to start off or finish with something like..'..winglets reduce drag..' for Noobs(?) like myself. Doh!
Thank you though - you're spot on as always 😀

I don't like the way they look. (Birds don't have them)

I know you are probably joking Radarman, but you got me thinking.--
Looking at some of the larger birds of prey when soaring -- the few feathers on the wingtips -- I wonder whether the innovators of our wingtips got the idea from observing eagles and condors for example Umm...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't like the way they look. (Birds don't have them)

I know you are probably joking Radarman, but you got me thinking.--
Looking at some of the larger birds of prey when soaring -- the few feathers on the wingtips -- I wonder whether the innovators of our wingtips got the idea from observing eagles and condors for example Umm...[/quote]

(Yes I was kidding)
That's difficult to say. If that was the case you'd think that they would have done it long ago. Take the B-52 for example.
I think it may work on a certain wing configuration (swept back?) and not on all.

It was obviously tried and proven in a wind tunnel by someone for some aircraft.
An interesting subject, why won't it work on all aircraft, speed, weight, size, engine type, length?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winglet

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Alex (Littleal100) Trainee

ok,
first off the are called wingtips not winglet whatever you wana call them.... also they reduce turbulence. I fly 737's with wingtips, i am very surprised, they do make a big deference.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I prefer them on certain sorts of aircraft, such as the B747.

However they increase performance/economy, so they do have an advantage.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I don't find them bad looking, though I'm not usually looking at my wing tips all the time. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I don't find them bad looking, though I'm not usually looking at my wing tips all the time. 😉

Same for me. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I rather like it because the A340 has it. That's all.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

JVD wrote:

If it wasn't for the Flight Simulator what would we do?

Have a life? 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

JVD wrote:

If it wasn't for the Flight Simulator what would we do?

Have a life? 😂

You mean this isn't a life? 😳

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

You mean this isn't a life? 😳

That would depend on who you talk to. 😂 For us it is, but for our wives and girl friends (for you single guys) I suspect they would say differently. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

....but for our wives and girl friends......

I would like to add that for the above specific categorie is a reason for Evil or Very Mad Angry Banned Censored No, No! Poke in Eye 🍅 Wall Bashing Whip

Dont Know

Last edited by Greekman72 on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain

I can imagine a story with all those emoticons 😉

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

I can imagine a story with all those emoticons 😉

I think Greekman72 is trying very sublimely to tell me that I took the thread off topic. ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain

😂 Probably...

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I think Greekman72 is trying very sublimely to tell me that I took the thread off topic. ROFL

I think you could be right there Insight. 😉[/quote]

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

I think you could be right there Insight. 😉

[/quote]

Insight?? ------- I thought we had agreed that you were too young to drown your sorrows in Greek wine

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think Greekman72 is trying very sublimely to tell me that I took the thread off topic.

No no ❗ ...Of course not my friend WarHawk. 😉 Im not the one that likes to stay always on topic... 😉

With all these emoticoms i was hoping that i could manage to show the women grumbling when they show us in front of our systems.... 😉

Insight?? ------- I thought we had agreed that you were too young to drown your sorrows in Greek wine

ROFL

P.S .I edit this post in order to notice that i edit the former one to remove the ''off topic'' emoticon that maybe confuse us. 😉

Last edited by Greekman72 on Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I really have to stop drinking all that wine don't I...