32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
No ATC (air traffic control)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 25

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

This should be interesting. How do you prefer to fly, IFR, VFR, online, offline, etc.?

21 Responses

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

I voted for offline VFR, as I prefer to fly GA aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Gee, I could never tell that from your avatar or sig. 😂

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Lol, I prefer photos of commercial aircraft then GA aircraft. 😂

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Let me clear this issue up. 😉

In real life I prefer commercial aircraft, however in Flight Simulator I generally only fly GA aircraft.
😂

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I voted for offline VFR, as I prefer to fly GA aircraft.

Just so you know, online VFR with GA rules. Try it some time!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I fly offline with the default FS ATC (I know it kinda sucks) and IFR. I'd really love to fly online in IVAO and IFR but I need to have more time...

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

I will add that to my to do list. 😉[/quote]

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

I will add that to my to do list. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

IFR offline.

I've never tried flying online. I wouldn't know where to start.
What is the advantage of it?

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Mostly off-line VFR, I find it pointless flying online VFR unless you're flying really long flight to major airports. There just isn't any controlers at many small GA airports.

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

I like to fly online VFR, in GA planes. I don't find IFR that fun.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Michael_H wrote:

IFR offline.

I've never tried flying online. I wouldn't know where to start.
What is the advantage of it?

Put your headset on and actually talk to the controller.

I'm still a bit nervous about it, so I've been spending a lot of time at KLAX, parked out of the way, just listening.

I'll start doing some GA VFR flights in areas that aren't too busy, to ease myself into it.

Then I will do some serious offline exploration of KLAX (the hub of the VA I fly for) on the ground so that when I finally go IFR online, I don't screw up and try to take off from the wrong runway, etc. 😳

I think my biggest concern is that while doing stuff that requires 4 hands, I'll have to change radio frequencies or some other task that requires 6 hands. I just don't have 6 hands. 🙄

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

If you're on voice don't worry about the extra hands. I used FSUIPC to assign my talk command to a button on my yoke, and then do my radio switching with squawkbox using the ".com1 xxx.xx" I generally have my next frequency up and ready so I can just pop the enter button and be fine.

On line VFR is great though, because even if you're not talking to ATC (i.e., flying from airports with no tower and squawking 1200), you actually have to be cautious of the airspaces you enter! Offline the ATC couldn't care less where you fly, but say you fly out of some airport like KHAF (Half Moon Bay, located right over the hills from SFO) you have to be extremely cautious of what altitudes you fly at so that you don't cross into SFO's bravo airspace! It has quite a different feel to it.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Put your headset on and actually talk to the controller.

Thanks Crash, it does sound like a much more real experience. I may look at it if and when I ever get time to explore it properly....

Pro Member Chief Captain

I forgot to mention that it means the plane behind you won't get cleared to take off before you, as sometimes happens with the FS ATC. 😳

I'll be doing some online VFR GA flying this week, in uncrowded areas. Won't use my VA's callsign so if I do something dumb, I'm the only one who gets blamed. 🙄

Maybe I should change my name to VatsimChicken. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Speaking for (many, most) controllers, I just want to add a quick note for all of you out there hesitating to fly online, because of the controllers, or the procedures, or the voice.

Controllers are happy to help a new person get acquainted with the procedures. All you have to do is ask. You can use voice or text, it doesn't matter. Voice is a little easier on the controller, but you can - if you are still too shy - only receive voice and use text to type (let the controller know).

A few things you should/could do:

- Pick a slow, small airport at first. If you go to KATL in the middle of rush hour, the controller won't be able to help you with questions.
- Log in at a busy airport and just sit and listen. Don't be overwhelmed, pick an airport with traffic, but not a hectic one.
- Do familiarize yourself with some terms and procedures (what is a clearance, what is a SID, a STAR etc).
- Important! A controller may ask you to do a number of things, follow a published procedure, orbit left, enter a standard (or non standard) holding pattern around a fix and more.

If you don't understand, if you don't have the chart, if you don't know the procedure, it's all right But let the controller know! Don't say "roger" and then proceed to improvise 😉 Say "ASDG tower, we don't have the charts, request vectors for departure" for example. Or "approach, we are unable to execute holding pattern, please advise". It'd fine! People will help you.

There are few (very few) controllers out there who may be arrogant, get snappy, or even insult you. This is a rare occasion, but you may (and should) email their supervisors and file a report. This is a hobby, no one is better than anyone else 🙂

Looking forward to seeing you online!

Pro Member Chief Captain

I should have mentioned in my previous posts, that the controllers sounded universally helpful. Some of them even sounded nervous, like some of the pilots. I did not mean to infer that the controllers were the problem. In fact, they are more understandable then the FS ATC.

My reluctance to fly online is based solely on my dislike of new situations. If I get past that point, I'll be online constantly.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Bindolaf, what airports do you recommend to sit and listen to the controllers and pilots talking? I'm in Europe and I fly mostly inside the continent. But I do a lot of long hauls to the US and South America. Sometimes to Asia. I won't be able to do long hauls online, but I can fly short and medium hauls inside Europe with no problem. Do you know a good airport in Europe that is usually busy. I know in real life that Heathrow, Schiphol, Charles de Gaulle, Frankfurt, Manchester, etc are very busy airports, but now I'm talking about online flying.

Another thing I would like to know is the following: If I want to depart from the Lisbon airport with a TAP A320, do I have to talk to the controllers in Portuguese or the accept to talk to me in English? I speak Portuguese, but not fluently. I'd be nervous to talk to them in Portuguese and messed up Embarassed My portuguese is kind of like a mixture with Spanish 😂 I'm still learning though. Well, I'm going off topic with this.
Do you mind answering my questions, please?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm no expert, but if you park your plane in any airport where you are not in the way (runway, taxiway, etc), no one will bother you. If you want to feel really secure, you can file a flight plan showing the same airport for departure and destination, and in comments, "Newbie observing only".

As for the second part, I can only pass on what I've been told, you'll find english spoken just like real-world aviation. I can't verify that since the only places I've listened in, so far, are in the US.

Hope this helps and hope I'm not in error.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Load Serv Info (look it up on avsim if you don't have it) and it will show you which airports have controllers and what traffic inbound/outbound. Heathrow is usually busy, so are most european capital airports (Paris, London, all of Germany, Athens and more).

English is fine. Most/All controllers speak english. You may hear some local languages between ATC and local pilots, but english is fine, don't worry.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for the answers guys! That helps a lot.