SearchSearch 

Warbirds...

cheekytrolly2 Guest

Hi,
Im looking for some free warbird downloads, from any country, from the world war 2 era.

So far I have downloaded a Supermarine Spitfire but it looked crapy coz it was meant for combat fs. I also have a Hawker Hunter but it's way to fast for my photoreal scenery and makes it all blurred. I had a Japenese Mitsubishi Zero, but when I re-installed flight sim, it got deleted.

What I'm really looking for is a single engined aircraft that isn't too fast, (with a crusing speed of under 200 kias) which would be good for cruisng around photoreal with, and has nifty handering, and prehaps an alitude hold for autopilot. I guess any single seater plane from 1930-1945 will do.

I'm not to sure as to where to start looking, if people could give me some links, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks very much,
Andrew

28 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

If you go into the FS2004 downloads here

then go into the Military Aircraft section and do a search for the names of aircraft you are interested in you will find some..

I just searched for Spitfire and found 7 Spits 🙂

I stupidly forgot to check if you are registered or not before posting this... doh

The other thing I would say, and I know you said freeware (and I think everyone else who knows me will know whats coming) is that the payware Spitfire at www.realairsimulations.com will blow anyway ANY other warbird add on you can get, pay or free ware - the level of detail is simply stunning and the sounds are fantastic... not to mention the cockpit itself is very very functional...

here is a link to apost I did with some screenies in

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8648/real-air-simulations-spitfire-56k-beware-screenshots/

(screens aren't working yet as my web space seems to be down)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Good site.

Take a look at this one, it handles beautifully and is easy on the FPS.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1792/super-hornet-fast-and-hot/

Radar

cheekytrolly2 Guest

thanks guys
http://www.fswarbirds.com/ is a great site, I wonder why I couldnt find it on a google search!

As for real air's spitfire, everyone has told me how amazing it is, and I am considering buying it, altough I just spent alot of $$$ buying the Corsica addon. Just out of interest, whats the spitfires top speed and crusing speed, and does it have autopilot?

Thanks, Andrew

cheekytiolly Guest

I found a screenshot with this plane in it, and this is the kinda thing im after, but I have no idea what it is. Does anyone here reconise it and could tell me where I can download it??

Thanks
Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

looks like a trainer of some sort...

the Chipmunk is a good aircraft to fly and looks similar to that one, Radarman the man with all the lilnks will point you at a good one i'm sure

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Insight is right, the Chipmunk is one beautiful FREE aircraft . Be sure to look at the read-me, it does many thing that pay-ware does.
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Chipmunk&CatID=fs2004ac&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I found this while wandering around avsim, I haven't downloaded it yet (will now), it seems to be nice.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=at6dse.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I found this while wandering around avsim, I haven't downloaded it yet (will now), it seems to be nice.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=at6dse.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Inspiring stuff... I'll get this one - I had a nice AT6 some time ago, except for the sinking wheels but they fixed that problem as I later read. This is a nice reminder, thanks.
You probably stumbled over the 'Smoke effect' while at avsim - if you haven't, this link includes the 'Smoke' and an update plus a non-chrome version of the AT6 in 4 different liveries ➡ http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=at6d%3F&FileName=&Author=&CatID=root

This is a pic of the 'Smoke' ➡ http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=46337

Note: I'm not sure whether the 'Smoke' can be added to at6dse.zip as the file description only mentions the at6d.zip... we'll see Hack

cheetrolly Guest

the Chipmunk is a good aircraft to fly and looks similar to that one, Radarman the man with all the lilnks will point you at a good one i'm sure

Sweet- Thanks guys!

I downloaded teh chipmunk and the update and its awsome- just the kinda plane I was looking for, looks great, it has loads of liverys, its not too fast and has great handerling and even autopilot! (I took some screenshots to prove it)

I love it so much, I've been flying it all morning- and its great to land aswell because its a tail dragger. Infact, it looks like a Tiger Moth - a pair of wings and with a glass bubble! Was it de-havilands update of the TM? I'm just guessing here? Also- do you know what year's that these where manufacturated from and to, and from which country. I interetsed to fidn out about its history now. And also, I read the read me file but I'm not sure how to use the effects- could somone explain?

Thanks
Andrew

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

The aircraft in question in your picture is a Beachcraft T-34. I have not been able to locate a sim of the plane though.

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

I have been able to locate some additional information on the T-34 Mentor.

I have found ref to two payware T-34's one by Alphasim and the other by Carenado. Flightsim.com has many repaints for each.
Additionally on flightsim.com I found a USAF T-34A
file "t-34a.zip"

Best of Luck.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I have had the pleasure of flying in a real chipmunk for 30 minutes 🙂 (wfrom the back seat of course) even pulled some 3 G turns in it 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

I have had the pleasure of flying in a real chipmunk for 30 minutes 🙂 (wfrom the back seat of course) even pulled some 3 G turns in it 😀

That must be great.I envy you Insight 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

there are some pictures on my blog.

cheekytrolly Guest

Nice pics Insight, although I'm a little confused. Are you in the USA or UK coz u mentioned DJing in New Orleans in the blog, and then flew a aircraft with a tail number of G-BXGL which is a british registration! 😕

Anyway, it looks like you had a great time, and I'd love to fly one myself one day for real. So far I have only taken the controls of a Cessna 152 at Shoreham Airport in south england for a birthday present. It is the exact aircraft as the one featured in Just Flights 'Flying Club' expansion and the fs2004 representation is ulta realistic!

As for the Beechcraft 'T-34 Mentor' I found one on SimMarket for $20 but I would never buy it now after I discovered the Chipmunk. I love it. I have been flying it non stop for 2 days now- Its my new favourite plane! I suggest anyone reading this post takes the time to download it, its only 16mb!

Thanks,

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I too have settled for the Chipmunk after ditching the AT6 which wasn't up to expectations at all. The only thing I liked about the AT6 where the sounds (needless to say -I kept those).

The Chipmunk is great (even the sounds) and she's much faster and nimbler than I thought. I took off from VNDP, one of my favourite haunts for testing small aircraft of this type and she behaved like a real Lady 😀

8 out of 10 Umm...

cheekytrolly Guest

8 out of 10

😳 really? I definite 11/10 for me, lol!

My favourite spot for testing new aircarft is Shoreham, England, (I have the addon airport and photoreal for the whole country) so I take off fly along the coast, do some turns over the channel then return.

I really like the chipmunk because it reminds me so much of the Tiger Moth, which used to be my favourite plane. The chippy is like a high powered, nimberler version and its great. I prefer the canadian "bubbe" cockpit version to the default RAF cockpit. Which do you prefer?

It would be good to meet on multiplayer and have a group flight of chipmunks!

😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

8 out of 10

Shocked really? I definite 11/10 for me, lol!

You've obviously only just scratched the surface of what's available as freeware. 😳 😀

cheekytrolly Guest

You've obviously only just scratched the surface of what's available as freeware.

I obviously only have! Care to post some links to some quality freeware GA props that in your opinion are as good as the chipunk then?

Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol, the blog title was "Djing, New Orleans..." meaning part of my post mentioned DJing and part mentioned New Orleans 🙂

I am in the UK 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

You've obviously only just scratched the surface of what's available as freeware.

I obviously only have! Care to post some links to some quality freeware GA props that in your opinion are as good as the chipunk then?

Cheers

I'll keep your request in mind - but again 'Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder' so there might be some disagreement.
There's also the issue of your gadabout tendencies 😉
Say if I find some a/c that you might be interested in how do you suggest I start the thread... -- "Tailhook calling cheekytrolly... are you reading...?"
Please explain.
One more thing - though I admire your ability to produce beautiful screenshots at a rate that makes the mind boggle, I sometimes do not return to a thread of yours because I have a slow connection and a sore wrist. You have demonstrated that you are very deft in editing images/graphics - so why don't you help us out?

Finally - if you're still reading that is, signing up as a member here comes with the advantage of receiving and sending PMs which is very handy when trying to track down a gallivanting member Whistle

Regards,
Rick 😀

chekytrolly Guest

Say if I find some a/c that you might be interested in how do you suggest I start the thread...

Why start a thread? Is it possible to just post them here please?

signing up as a member here comes with the advantage of receiving and sending PMs which is very handy when trying to track down a gallivanting member

Just checked on XE currencty converter and found that $5US was only $8NZ, I thought it would be like $20NZ so I'll sign up right now and buy myself a membership! 🙂

Sorry about the graphics,
Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Why start a thread? Is it possible to just post them here please?

Here's a nice one ➡ http://www.simviation.com/fs2004vintage42.htm

FS2004 North American T-6G Texan 'Mosquito' LTA-542. Close to 700 man hours went into this Korean War veteran with its all new precise detailed textures, upgraded flight dynamics and new T-6 sound package. It has dead-on accurate fuselage panel lines, minute rivets, new wheels, redesigned pilot, and a photo-real engine. Combined with good looks and flawless handling, you will fnd this beauty a real treat to fly.Original model by Denis da Silva. A complete "Classic" redesign by Cliff Presley. 7MB

I couldn't have said it better myself. Don't be fooled by the small filesize Nope

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Sweet thanks. I'm getting the mozzie now. Now I'm a member Im gonna also browse this site too- YAY (How do you add an advatar)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

Sweet thanks. I'm getting the mozzie now. Now I'm a member Im gonna also browse this site too- YAY (How do you add an advatar)

Your profile is at the top of this page, scroll to the bottom, that's where you add the avatar.
By the way ...welcome member!
Radar

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I tried uploading an avatar pic off my pc (a .png file then a .jpg) but nothing comes up!!! Also, what format are you meant to post your signiture in? Ive tried HTML, IMG and a URL but it keeps coming up as plain text? Can ya help?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

I tried uploading an avatar pic off my pc (a .png file then a .jpg) but nothing comes up!!! Also, what format are you meant to post your signiture in? Ive tried HTML, IMG and a URL but it keeps coming up as plain text? Can ya help?

😀 It looks like you did it right to me. 👍

Radar