SearchSearch 

Landing in a snowy area

Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

Hey all you flight sim buffs. Is anyone else having trouble landing at an airport when there is snow on the ground? I am having trouble making out the difference between the runway and the surrounding ground surfaces until I get very close to the ground.

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlcokner

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

🤔 I never tried that but how about hitting "Ctrl+S" and get a top down view, maybe you'll be able to see the runway from there.
I can't think of any other way to turn on the runway lights. Unsure

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

RadarMan, thank you for the hint. I will try it the next time I need to land under those conditions.

Happy flying.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Make sure your visibility is good. Low vis. will seriously affect your ability to make out features on the ground. I have never had a problem finding a runway in the snow, I will say, as a real pilot I found that most ground features were hard to recognize at first, even in the summer. I could'nt recognize an airport until I was almost on top if it. I could barely recognize the roads around my own house for that matter. In time you will overcome this, it just takes getting used to.

Pro Member Trainee

Thank you LeadFoot. It is reasurring to know that landing in snowy conditions will get better.

Happy flying.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Yeah, you - like real ones will have trouble.

The effects of crosswind are highly magnified, since there is no lateral resistance to your approach.

I would recommend some of the colorado approaches on some of these sites for training...

Pro Member First Officer
Mason Gilliam (harleyman) First Officer

I have no problem at all picking out the asphalt on my puter....You can proberly adjust your card somewhat to decrease this prob....Also the settings in the game might help...I have found that different card settings affect different aspects of the game....

I too can't find runways when flying IFR at times till on top of them....Air traffic tells me it's at my,12....1....11 o'clock and I no see....LOL I just keep looking and asking for directions till I find it..Then I drop my Auto pilot stuff and stick fly down to land....... Good luck JG......mason

Pro Member Trainee

Thank you Rambunctious and harleyman. You both have great ideas. I will continue to practice.

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlockner