Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Grrrr... 2 more weeks until first flying lesson

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Hey there,

As a few of you might know my first flying lesson was supposed to be today but as it is raining quite hard we can't go flying. Crying or Very sad

Unfortunately the Aero Club is booked up so I cant go for another 2 weeks which will make it the 10th of December.

http://www.flywaikato.co.nz/

Grrrrr!!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

It should be worth the wait. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

It should be worth the wait. Wink

I'm sure it will! If possible I will try get some photos to post here on flyaway.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Cool! I'm looking forward to the pictures! Very Happy

Is your Aero Club close to the mountainous landscape? I love the New Zealand lanscape Love

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

Cool! I'm looking forward to the pictures! Very Happy

Is your Aero Club close to the mountainous landscape? I love the New Zealand lanscape Love

Unfortunately all of the mountainous scenery is down in the South Island, and I am in the North Island.

In the meantime there is a couple of pictures of Hamilton on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton%2C_New_Zealand

The aerial view doesn't look very exciting but when you get up there it looks much better! Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

The pictures look very nice! Even without mountains Wink

The best of those 4 pictures is the first one, in my opinion. The river...the trees, everything is cool.

Oh, and that stadium looks nice too. Cool

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Two more weeks of practice....practice.....practice on FS9, and of course, study what you can Read . See, it's not so bad. Very Happy

I feel for you though, nothing worse than waiting Yawn . Good luck to you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

The pictures look very nice! Even without mountains Wink

The best of those 4 pictures is the first one, in my opinion. The river...the trees, everything is cool.

Oh, and that stadium looks nice too. Cool

Yea I agree that those two are the best ones.

To Jelami, I shall to your advice and practice on FS. Oh and study...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Read some books too. Try this one, "Your Pilot's License" by, Jerry A. Eichenberger. It tells you almost everything you need to know to get a private pilot's license.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Don't worry Jarred. you'll have a great time on your first lesson. I know I did.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I will have a look on the net at that book a little later mypilot, thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I can't believe it! My flying lesson was supposed to be today and for the second time in a row it has been cancelled because of rain. Crying or Very sad

Grrrr!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

I can't believe it! My flying lesson was supposed to be today and for the second time in a row it has been cancelled because of rain. Crying or Very sad

Grrrr!!!

Be patient my friend...You are on final... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

Looking forward to the flight report captain! Very Happy

Jarred,

I know you probably hate to hear it, but FS, if not used correctly, can hinder your efforts for a Pilots License. FS tends to have people focus much more on the insturnments and not whats actually happening outside.

Dont get me wrong, FS is a great tool for learning to fly. When learning all of the manuevers though (S-Turns, Turns about a point, rectanglur course...) it can actually do more harm then good.

If you decide to pursue an insturment rating, use FS as much as possible. Very Happy Its great for teaching RNAV. The ability to have all weather conditions helps a lot also. Whenever Im going to an unfamilar airport, I always fly the approach on FS before hand. Its helps a ton.

Another good book is "Piloting for Maximum Performace" by Lewis Bjork.

Also, have you tried making back-up reservations with your flightschool? Have a reservation for a backup in case a lesson gets cancelled. If you do have your normal lesson, just go ahead and cancel the backup.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Hey Matt,

I was actually thinking the same thing about how much Flight Sim makes you look at the instuments alot. Reading through my PPL training manual it mentioned that you should spend 90% of your time 'outside' the aircraft and 10% of it inside looking at your instuments - which is a good point I guess.

Flight Simulator has its pros and cons. Like you said it can be a great help with your instrument rating, as well as learning/practicing approaches into unfamiliar airports. Its realism helps considerably when learning instuments, as the majority of people when entering cockpits could only figure out what the airspeed indicator, altimeter, RPM, possibly the artificial horizon, and a few of the engine gauges do.

Learning to fly with a yoke instead of a joystick is also a change, well at least until we get our new Alpha trainers which have a stick (replacing the fleet of 152's). Then you have rudder pedals, throttle, mixture, to learn without using joystick/keyboard buttons.

Basic flying skills may be slightly challenging at first, however once you get the hang of it I guess it becomes second nature to you, just like driving a car.

I can't wait to get back up in my Hamilton skys, after a 6 month absence (last going up for a 'trial flight' in a 172 Wink) I believe we head over the city for my first 'effects of controls' lesson so like I should be able to find my house as it was resonably easy to locate in the trial flight. My parents gave me 4 lessons for my birthday back in September so now that Summer is here I'll be able to fly quite alot.

As for that book by Lewis Bjork, I'll look it up on the net after I have finished writing this post, it looks interesting. For booking another flight in case of cancellation, it could be difficult as we are really the only aero club in our region and most of the time you have to book well in advance to secure an aircraft and instructor, so booking two lessons wouldn't really be fair on other student pilots.

Thanks for your advice Matt, I'll write up a post when the weather finally does clear up down here in New Zealand.

Thanks again,
Jarred. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

well well well, nice pics of Hamilton there- and I couldnt help myself since I have photoreal scenery of the area than to take a simulator comparison shot here:

Unfortuantly, it came out blurred as I was going too fast but you can just about make out that where I have drawn the red lines of both images are the same road...hope you like it Wink Confused

Anyways Jarred- have a great flight. As you already know the exact same thing happened to me when I booked a test flight in a c152, the flight was delyayed due to bad weather! LOL so if your gonna book a test flight- ask for any aircraft apart from that one. Have a great flight anyway man!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Good job for one more time my friend... Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Thanks guys, I'm ringing up the aero club today to see when I can have the lesson, hopefully there might me a spot today as the weather is finally better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Chief Captain

I'm sure it will! If possible I will try get some photos to post here on flyaway.

Will be good, if you get us some pics.
thanks...
worth the wile.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Hey guys,

With a bit of luck I should be having my first flying lesson today at 2.30, the local time now at 9.30am.

However with the state of the weather in Hamilton at the moment it could be a little debatable whether the lesson is to go ahead of not. The picture below was taken around 10 minutes ago outside my house, with it supposed to rain later on today. Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I wish strong winds to clear the skies and then fair weather for your flight my friend... Punk

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

I wish strong winds to clear the skies and then fair weather for your flight my friend... Punk

Thanks Greekman, with a bit of luck you never know what might happen... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I can't believe it, for the 3rd time in a row my lesson has been cancelled, now I have to wait until Staurday when it is supposed to rain as well. The wind was the problem today.

Better luck next time,
Jarred.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

I can't believe it, for the 3rd time in a row my lesson has been cancelled, now I have to wait until Staurday when it is supposed to rain as well. The wind was the problem today.

Better luck next time,
Jarred.

Patient my friend.The good things are always late to come... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

True true, I should learn to be more patient once in a while!

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Well it finally looks like my flying lesson is finally going to go ahead after 6 cancellations in a row due to bad weather. When I get back I'll make a post telling everyone how it went.

See you soon,
Jarred.