SearchSearch 

Opinion On A New Computer

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Hi. My father is thinging about buying me a computer for in my room so I can run FS on it. The computer we were looking at is a Dell Dimension E310 Desktop. It looks good to run FS9 on. It has a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor and has 512 DDR. The computer that I currently run FS9 on now has those same specs and I run straight 30 FPS. But I don't think that a Video/Graphics card is included. I went on their website and you could add a BFG - GeForce MX 4000 128 MB AGP Graphics Card. Now I have the MX 5500 256 MB card on my current system and it runs excellent. SO would that be good to run FS9 with. Also what do you think about this computer and how well it will run FS9?

26 Responses

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The computer should be fine, but I would add another 512 of memory and you have the better graphics card, I would see if they would install your card in it for you.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

yea build one if you can there cheaper in the long run, you can just add new stuff to it to make it better

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

mypilot wrote:

DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!

I don't, I build my own from scratch, but not everyone has the ability to do that. Buying a complete system usually doesn't get you all the goodies you want and you wind up with less computer than you hoped for. Building your own gets around those limitations.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Chris102 wrote:

Jared wrote:

Hey Chris. I have the 5500 and it runs FS great. So the 6200 should be perfect. Also did you like your 4000. I am getting a new computer for my room and its a Dell and I was adding on a graphics card and I was thinking about the 4000. It's only $56. IMO I think it shouldn't be that bad. But what did you think about the 4000?

Don't waste your money.
Here's a screenshot of the tower view using the POSKY 747. If the card is this bad for POSKY, I can't even imagine how it will show the PMDG 744.

I wouldn't recommend buying this card. If I get the 6200, which I'm 90% sure I will, I can pack up the 4000 and send it to you so I don't have to look at that ugly thing again! ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!

Why on earth not? they have the best customer service out there and for those wanting well priced but fair quality machines they are ideal..

I would recommend browsing the Dell Outlet section though as deals come and go in there, you might get more than you bargained for Wink

If you can get at least 1GB of RAM and try for a PCI Express gfx card as it will be more upgradable for the future with less costs in the long run

Wobba Guest

people say "Don't buy a Dell!" because of the stereotypical "dell sucks." There is nothing wrong with the Dell system. My family has purchased 8 Dell PC's/Notebooks and we haven't had problems with any of them. It just goes to show that you can't trust anyone.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I don't think they have the best customer service! 😂 In August we called them because our mouse was broken, so he told us to restart our computer and press a couple different buttons, he locked our computer up so we couldn't get to go past that Dell logo screen! Crying or Very sad After 2 weeeks of talking to techinicians they finally decided to send us a new hard drive. And other times when we've called them none of their technicians knew how to fix it.

Wobba Guest

Why would you call them about a mouse? Unless it was the Dell mouse you shouldn't call them as they wouldn't know anything but their own brand. Even if it was with a Dell mouse, buy a new one, you can get a better one for cheap prices. The technicians always know what to do. If you don't explain your problem to them with detail its hard for them to help you. You have to tell them specifically what the prblem is. In all the years i've owned Dell computers, I have never had to call technicians for mechanical problems. In fact the only times that we DO call Dell is when we want to order a new comp. lol

Wobba Guest

Also, them sending you a new harddrive just shows there exceptioanl customer service. Most companies wouldn't even do that. Why should you complain? you got a shiny new clean drive.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It was a dell mouse. Umm...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

I had a Dell a few years ago. After about 2 years the hard drive started "grinding" and a few months later the hard drive died.

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

i don't like dell either i have a dimension 3000 and i have had it for a little more than a year now and 2 usb ports are dead. when i needed to add another hard drive there was no slot for it or connectors. when i was getting a new video card it didn't have an agp slot so my choices were limited. i just think they put crap in there computers, maybe there nice ones (xps series) are good but i don't know. and i am going to be getting a dell laptop but only because im on a budget and almost every review i read of it people liked it.

Wobba Guest

I don't know where all these problems come from...i haevn't had a single one.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

It is always depending on what kind of Dells(or any other manufacturer)Model you choose.

There are systems for Secretaries and systems for Gamers,Overclockers...and all of these kind of PC forcers... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

When I first got my PC over a year ago I asked my mates and people at work where there got there's and 90% said DELL. I asked how it all went and they didn't have a bad word to say about them.

I've had no porblems with them and haven't had to call them once.

Pro Member Trainee
FHeselton Trainee

Hard ware breaks. It does not matter if it is your car or computer. If it breaks, I take either take (send) mine to the manufacturer or other repair facility or I fix it myself. I don't blame the whole company because a single componet has failed. So don't blame Dell or HP or any other manufacturer if something breaks. So did my MAC, and Compaq. I have fixed one and replaced the other.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Chris102 wrote:

I had a Dell a few years ago. After about 2 years the hard drive started "grinding" and a few months later the hard drive died.

The life expectancy for a hard drive is quite low, you should expect to have 1 HDD fail every 3 years or something i think

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Let me see if my memory is up to the task at the moment. I seem to recall that brands like Dell and others use what I think are called 'proprietry parts' - RAM etc.. In practical terms that means if you have to add or replace certain parts you are limited to the particular brand of your computer - which obviously won't be a cost-effective option.

I have been following Dell advertisements for a number of years now. True, on an average they seem to be reliable machines and the customer service is amongst the best. However the reason why Dell computers manage to sell relatively cheap is because as soon as you've got your brandnew, shiny puter on your desk, it's already tragically underpowered. CPU, RAM and graphics adapter will already struggle with your latest software and I'm not even talking about Doom and Kill me while I'm still alive... or whatever there is on the market.

...and that's all I have to say to that Juggle

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Well that depends largely on the spec doesn't it, and it can also be said of ANY pc that you buy, it will almost immediately become obselete.

A colleague of mine has a Dell Laptop and just bought an extra GB of Crucial Ballistix ram for it, so RAM seems to certainly be very upgradable.

I think people like HP and Packard Bell are more guilty of putting parts in that just do not work unless on one of their own mobos.

The good thing about Dell, i find, with their service is they will happily send engineers out very expediantly with parts to replace bits, while sometimes going through the motions on the phone with them can be tedious - it gets to the point where they know exactly what to resend etc.

With regards to the comments on the dell mouse not working, good god - buy a new mouse 🙂

Also, if you speak up and stop them, they will listen, i did when I had a kep pop off of my keyboard " no rebooting will not help, a key has come off, pls send an engineer with a new keyboard tomorrow" Dell: "ok sir"

job done

for the user who doesn't know a huge amount about PCs i think they are the safest bet to be with, personally - I do know a bit and have friends that know the bits I don't, so I custom build 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

mypilot,

I agree with you about the Dell stigma. My sister has a Dell laptop. She needed support, and nobody could understand anybody (Iam not knocking non English speaking people at all) but they should be versed in all languages and dialects. It is customer support after all...??? Dell has a nice looking product but looks isn't everything. This laptop was sitting on a non covered table, and was still hot...!!! Nothing blocking the cooling fan. Dell has had cooling problems with their laptops for years. Also, I still think that Dell shares its RAM with the video architecture. In short build your own machine.

Regards,

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!

I know your hard drive died, but what has that got to do with Dell???

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that is purring along quite nicely.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

loads of laptops run hot, its not just a Dell thing, its an inherent design thing - lots of small stuff that gets hot, packed very very closely together in a tiny box = warm.

Dell = good for the user who doesn't know a great deal about PCs and wants something they can get good support on

Custom Build = for users who know a bit about what they are doing and can support themselves

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

DELL is ok for your very first PC as they come quite cheap but if you want a really powerfull PC as Insight build one yourself benefits
1. Cheaper
2. It's how you want it.

Looking at my PC now it cost about £900 - £1000 if I brought the same specs in the shops I'll be looking at £1500.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Chris102 wrote:

The life expectancy for a hard drive is quite low, you should expect to have 1 HDD fail every 3 years or something i think

My eMachines W1640 (which I'm using right now) is 4 years old and it still operates the same as it did the day I bought it 😀

NW Dan Guest

I have had extensive experience with Dells having installed, configured and maintained over 50 in the last 5 years.
On the negative side, their components are often the cheapest they could find so I have had bad dell mice, cd rom drives, disk drives, etc.
On the positive side, their customer service has been outstanding. I have called with big problems on weekends or even in the middle of the night and have always received prompt attention from technicians who knew what they were doing and solved the problems. Every time. Also on the positive side, their prices are very good. I just ordered an E310 with free shipping and a free monitor upgrade that made this a much better deal than any I've seen anywhere including their own refurbished machines.

On balance, I'm a Dell fan.