SearchSearch 

Registering FS

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Does anyone do this? Is there any upside to it? Does MS offer any support worth having? I really object to their Passport program, but they seem to require signing up for it to register a product.

3 Responses

Pro Member Trainee
watersprite Trainee

Brook wrote:

Does anyone do this? Is there any upside to it? Does MS offer any support worth having? I really object to their Passport program, but they seem to require signing up for it to register a product.

I may be quite mistaken about much or all of this, so take my comments for what they might - or might not - be worth...

The "Passport" thing bothers me as well, so I declined to go through all that just to register. As far as I know, as long as you have the usual "proof of purchase" material that came with your original package, I think MS should support the product just as much as if you had gone through the registration thing (for instance...replace a bad CD, etc.).

Otherwise, it seems that "registering" this type of already purchased/packaged CD product only gives you one extra thing...more SPAM!

There are so may flight sim related online forums and news groups, so that aside from replacing faulty CDs and such, there's hardly any technical issue I can think of that can't be dealt with via the open information sharing that already goes on in forums like this and in the various flight sim news groups. With regards to "bug reporting", I somehow doubt that MS will pay more attention to a "Passport registered" user than to any other user. They'll just go about fixing this or that on their own schedule and as they see fit. Luckily for me (and apparently many others), the basic program, while certainly having its flaws, is not so terrible to begin with. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

🙄 As watersprite said I too doubt that in the long run it won't matter if you register it or not. I have a "passport" because it's easier for MS's "ZONE".
I always register software, back in the "old days" companies would send surveys or ask for suggestions, give "incentives' (free fonts". Now it just another way if your having a problem to say "hey I registered it take care of me". Poke in Eye
They just want it for statistical purposes and most likely demographic purposes only. Blink

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I tried registering FS9 but MS doesn't make it easy. I quit midway through. Besides, if you have a problems with any Microsoft (software) product it is going to cost you to talk to an MS tech support. Mad I do not want to pay anymore more money to MS than I have to