Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Basic ILS

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Ok ill give you the low down on ILS,
You are at 3000 feet aproaching heathrow, you are not lined up.

1- ATC clears you for the ils approach to runway 27l, you tune the frequency for that runway,found on the world map(click on the airport and scroll down)
2- Put the frequency into the NAV1 and put it onto the active one.
3- Put the GPS/NAV switch to NAV, so that you intercept the ILS.
4- Fly the heading that ATC says.
5- Desend your flight to the level as instructed, once you have the ILS desend with it.Following ATC instructions
6- If you have the AP on pres the APP button, this makes the aircraft line it self up with the ILS.
7-You Have to control the altitude.
8-At 1500-1000 feet disengage the AP and your on your own 😀

Remember, the ILS indicators are reversed, so
Left- turn right
Right- turn left
Up- desend
down-climb

If you are to low level out at fly level waait for the ILS to come back to you.

Ive messed up!
Make sure youve got the right frequency.
Did you follow ATC instructions??

Ive been using the ILS on a BAe-146 and boeing 737-600 to 800, they are very simple to operate i suggest you practice on a 737, at heathrow airport.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
glen4cindy Trainee

beerbadger wrote:

Remember, the ILS indicators are reversed, so
Left- turn right
Right- turn left
Up- desend
down-climb

Are you talking about the VOR displays? I guess I didn't know that they operated that way. I have been using the autopilot to fly the approach basically so I can see how it is done properly. I thought that would help me to fly it by hand more easily.

Don Wood Guest

I do not understand the original post. For ILS guidance, I strongly recommend FEM's classic description contained in the link Tailhook provided.

If you are flying a Rwy27 ILS approach to Rwy 27, the ILS indicators will not be reversed. They are reversed only if you are flying a back course approach (i.e., using the Rwy 27 ILS radio frequency but landing on the opposite end of the physical runway - Rwy 09).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Wow DonWood...made my day right there, referring someone to my guide. Seriously that's awesome! Thanks!

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

FEM, who's that in your avatar/sig?

Pro Member Trainee
glen4cindy Trainee

Don Wood wrote:

If you are flying a Rwy27 ILS approach to Rwy 27, the ILS indicators will not be reversed. They are reversed only if you are flying a back course approach (i.e., using the Rwy 27 ILS radio frequency but landing on the opposite end of the physical runway - Rwy 09).

Thanks Don Wood for your post. It totally confused me when the other post stated that the indicators would be backwards.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

this was meant to be a simple guide, you guys confuse everything, that aproach thingy is to long, make a breif version, and my way works fine for me hupmf! Mad

Don Wood Guest

Beerbadger: Flying is a complex art and ILS approaches are among the most complex parts of it. There is danger in simplfying a complex process too much, especially when that simplification contains erroneous information.

This is a pretty active forum with people with all levels of experience. When erroneous information is posted, someone will correct it so that others with less experience will not be misled by the bad information. In this case it was me but in other cases it will be someone else. Don't be insulted by it. No one knows everything and we can all learn from the knowledge and experience of others.

Pro Member Chief Captain

JTH-That's Heino. German folksinger extraordinare. Anyway, I worship that guy (Not in a religious sense) and people HAVE told me I kinda sound like him when I sing.

So my approach thingy is too long? I always figured it got the job done...I mean, heck, a REAL WORLD PILOT referred people to a guide that a dumb 12th grade HS student wrote after a week with ILS practice... 😳

Pro Member Trainee
glen4cindy Trainee

And here I did not even realize that was not you!

And I suppose, for the most part, he never shows his eyes! Always wearing the sunglasses, except in one obviously older pose on the site I looked at!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

beerbadger wrote:

this was meant to be a simple guide, you guys confuse everything, that aproach thingy is to long, make a breif version, and my way works fine for me hupmf! Mad

If it is correct and shorter than one of the ones that is in the approach guide then I don't see the problem in adding it and taking away the one I did!! It is nothing personal on anyones behalf; if the guide is a good and an easy guide , I think it should be added to the Approach Guide post. However, I didn't quite understand the "reversed" part, as Don Wood explained Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain

And here I did not even realize that was not you!

Nope, I'm only 18. Although people say I can sing somewhat like him though 😎

He's got a eye-disorder where the tear ducts swell up, thus pushing out his eyes. That doesn't look good onstage while singing, so he adopted the glasses.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

...although people say I can sing somewhat like him though 😎

Surely we can persuade you to give us a little rendition - a small mp3 upload to yousendit??

Don't be shy now, you asked for it. 😀
It could serve as a nice kick-off to our next virtual party Group Wave

Pro Member Trainee
glen4cindy Trainee

Dude!

I would have never guessed that you were 18!

You talk very much like an adult of many more years.

I wish I knew as much about flying as you do when I was 18. However,
when I was 18, Microsoft was only on DOS 3.x, windows were on buildings and in vehicles, and color monitors were mostly green or yellow!!!!!

I'm 38 in case anyone is wondering. Yes, my first, second, third, fourth, etc......cars didn't have airbags or FM radios, but, at least I didn't have an 8-track deck in there!

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

at 18 you are a adult, and flying is not a ART, its a job or hobby, heck even a passion, it is not a art cos i hate art and love flying so nah!