Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

brake function with CH USB Rudder pedals

ByronW Guest

Is there a way to disable (or increase the null zone) on the brake function on these pedals? Without the pedals, ground handling is difficult, but the brake function remains on regardless of what I do with the toe pedals. I have the CH USB yoke instqalled also. I have adjusted the null settings on the brake axis (both left and right) but the settings seem to disappear the first time I use the brakes.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I would have thought that the null setting would have stayed for you, but it sounds like the pedals are working as they are designed to work....toes for brakes, heels for steering.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Its true, the CH brakes can get "touchy" sometimes, although I actually found it only to be a problem after configuring the pedals. I simply hit "reset" on the calibration (to its out-of-the-box settings) in the control panel -> game controllers menu and it went back to normal. Now the sensitivity is right where it should be with no brake issues.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

On the heavies (737/747 etc) do they use pedals like these to stear on the ground or do they use a sidestick? In fact are pedals used in heavies at all? Thanks...

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Some heavies have the separate control for the nosewheel, but for a lot of planes, as long as the nose gear has weight on it, it links the rudder controls to the nose-wheel steering. They are still used in flight (and plenty on crosswind landings), but they aren't nearly as important as they are in flight on the smaller planes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

On the heavies (737/747 etc) do they use pedals like these to stear on the ground or do they use a sidestick? In fact are pedals used in heavies at all? Thanks...

It depends on the manufacturer of the aircraft. For Boeing they simply use rudder pedals to steer the nose wheel (possibly differential braking as well?), however on the Airbus they have a special control next to the sidestick, (I think it is called a nosewheel tiller) that they steer the aircraft with.

Agus will be able to explain better for the Airbus side of things.

Hope this helps,
Jarred.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

The rudder pedals on Airbus aircraft only steer the nosewheel a few degrees. They are mainly used on the takeoff roll.

When taxiing or below 40/50 knots there's a hand tiller, as Jarred said, that steers the nosewheel. Both Captain and First Officer have that tiller.

Here's a picture of that hand tiller:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=078729&size=L&width=800&height=612&sok=&photo_nr=

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

Captain Agus to the rescue again!! Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

On the A320, the rudder pedals can only turn the nosewheel 6 degrees from center. Turns during taxiing require the use of the tiller.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

The rudder pedals on Airbus aircraft only steer the nosewheel a few degrees. They are mainly used on the takeoff roll.

When taxiing or below 40/50 knots there's a hand tiller, as Jarred said, that steers the nosewheel. Both Captain and First Officer have that tiller.

Here's a picture of that hand tiller:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=078729&size=L&width=800&height=612&sok=&photo_nr=

I've got a new desktop pic. - So which is the tiller - the thing to the left of the flightstick Question Think

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

I've got a new desktop pic. - So which is the tiller - the thing to the left of the flightstick

Yeah the tiller is the handle type thing next to the joystick/sidestick.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks Jarred Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

On the A320, the rudder pedals can only turn the nosewheel 6 degrees from center. Turns during taxiing require the use of the tiller.

On the A320 and the others too. Razz

Captain Agus to the rescue again!! Thumbs Up!

Hehe, yep Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks for all the replies Wink

But I saw a flight instructional video for a United Airlines 777-200 and the captain said you use a tiller to turn on the taxiway, so maybe new Boeing aircraft use the same technique as Airbuses.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm sure they do. I'll check Airliners.net.

Yes the 777-200 use a tiller too. I didn't check the others, though.

Last edited by Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total
ByronW Guest

After touching the brake pedals one time, they lock on and no pedal movement can release them. Neither does the (.) from the keyboard. I think I will just try a reinstall of FS2004 and the hardware. I have added memory to the machine since FS2004 was first installed.

Thanks for all the tips. I would like to use FS2004 to a pre fly approaches to new airports and I can recommend the add on Garmin 430/530 along with Garmin's September 2005 update to their GPS simulator database. This is great add on and so near the real thing it is amazing.

Byron