PMDG 747 question

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

When i got up around 30,000ft. i started loosing a little speed so i leveled the plane off a bit to gain enough speed to climb but every so often i was hearing this like grinding noise and I was trying to figure out what that noise was telling me but I have no idea what it was trying to tell me. Does anyone who has this plane know what this noise is? it happened when i started pitching up and when i pitched down certain times too and also happened during turns. my speed was always between 250 and 270.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I have no idea which bell or cricket it could be. Stall maybe? Check the manual, I'm sure it lists all sounds and their causes 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

You should put this qustion in their support forum. You should get an answer there.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

That grinding noise does sound strange. The only thing I could think of is that the flaps were still notched and taking damage. That would make sense as to why you were losing speed in cruise, although the bird does climb fairly slowly. The 737 by them also had a sound for the trim wheel, so whenever the user or autopilot trimmed the aircraft, a rattling noise was heard in the cockpit. I don't remember hearing it in the 747, but it may have tagged along...

I'll take the plane up for a spin later today and see if I hear anything.

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I am right now flying at 30,000ft because for some reason the plane can't even maintain 245 at 35,000ft. I got the plane up to 35,000ft by flying level for about 10 minutes then I got my speed high enough to climb 1,000ft after climbing 1,000ft my speed had dropped by about 20. so I had to wait another 10 minutes to get my speed back up again before going another 1,000ft. But once I got up around 34,000ft my speed was around 260 and it wasn't speeding up at all with the engines on full power.

Pro Member Captain

Let's talk in terms of Mach numbers at cruise altitude as that will give us a better idea of the speed. For the PMDG, depending on cost index in the FMC, you should be anywhere from 0.84 mach up to 0.86 mach. If you have the flight computer set to V-Nav (and all of your weight/performance data entered), it should climb by that point at a rate of around 500fpm (sounds slow, but it is a fairly large plane to move!). If you are climbing by hand or using V/S, you may just be asking for more than the plane can give. Use either FL-CH or VNav to get up there, and you should be fine.

Pro Member Trainee
CoasterXtreme Trainee

I have been flying now at 34,000ft. for 15 minutes now and my speed is around 251 and I have the autopilot on i'm trying to get it to maintain mach .83 but apparently it isn't even close to that number and the engines are on full power.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well then whats your fuel load and payload at that altitude?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

What's the comparisson between Mach numbers and knots? i.e. Does 0.84 mach = 500 knots?

Pro Member Captain

i'm not sure what the conversion is, but since the air is thinner up there, your IAS gets thrown off a bit. Mach is much easier to set a standard in.

You must be either overloading the plane or have that notch of flaps down. Keep in mind, I flew a 12+ hour flight from SFO-ZBAA (beijing) in this plane a few weeks ago, 2/3 pax and cargo loaded (using the load manager provided), and only needed 285,000lbs of fuel to get there (if I had loaded much more, I would've used more and probably wouldn't have made it!). I also had to start my cruise at FL320, and step up every 1500-2000nm. Going from something like chicago to san-francisco you'll probably only use up around 80,000 lbs. and be able to hold FL380 or FL400. If you're loading more than you need, then the most efficient (as well as the MAXIMUM flight level the plane can get to) will be much lower. You can see these values in the manual. They have excellent tips on how to load the proper amount!

Also, be sure when loading the plane that you're loading fuel using the PMDG menu in flight. One of the options tabs has an area to load fuel using the PMDG module. If you load it by hand or using the standard "Fuel and Payload" option in FS, it's probably not being evenly distributed to the right spots. It's got tons of fuel tanks, and it can be quite tricky to load them properly!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...