Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FSAutoStart

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

I downloaded fsautostart in an attept to get as many FPS as possible. I just dont realy no how to use it cerrectly I went to the suport but it doesnt realy tell how to stop all unnecesseary prcesses. Does any one use this? could you explain how to use it?

Thanks for any help 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'm not trying to dodge the question, but this has been debated on occasions and I've tried several similar utilities - including FSAutostart. I'm not the wiser yet.

Until someone comes along to really give us the lowdown you might want to peruse a little of this ➡ https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/9824/startup-program-nudge-my-memory/

Dont Know

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

It should tell you how to stop the uneccessary system functions. When you start the program go to the options on the left hand side of the pop-up. There will be one for programs and another for the services that windows loads. When you click on each program or service in the list, on the right hand column you should see a description of what it does, and the creator's reccomendation as to whether or not to keep it running. In general, if he doesn't say to leave it running, just shut it down. Make sure you hit the save button, and every time you load up it will close the things you'd rather not have running.

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Thanks 🙂 there is only a few programs that i wil dare to shut down but there is a small increase in FPS ❗

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

If all that it does is shut down background programs, why is it called FS Autostart??

Pro Member Captain

Because after you configure the program for the first time, you simply hit "start" and it will shut down your miscellaneous services and programs, defrag your ram, and then start FS after it's finished its tasks. I usually hit start and then walk away for about 10 minutes. When I get back, the create a flight screen is right in front of me, and my computer is a happy camper 😀

In my humble opinion Ranald, FS AutoStart is the next most important Flight Simm utility after FS Navigator. Click "Services" and select which ones you want to shut down during FS. Be careful here as there are some services/processes that you must NOT shut down but the prompts will guide you.Click "Save". Do the same for "Programs". Click Configure. Check "force idle tasks to execute IF XP" and "Defragment Memory". Thats it!

When you want to start your simm click Autostart and the click Start. Your program will load.

I will on average get between 200 to 300mb of RAM extra just using this little beauty.

regards

kevin

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

So would you say there is a noticeable difference in using this program? By the way, what's FS Navigator? What does it do?

Thanks...

Pro Member Captain

It depends - If you've got already a great computer, you won't see any difference. While you're still in the range where a handful of FPS makes a difference (anywhere from 20 and below), then yes, it absolutly does help. Although it isn't a miracle pill that keeps you from needing to defrag your drive regularly and keep the computer free from spyware and the like!

FSNav is a program that helps you in setting up your flights, and mostly giving you some excellent situational awareness in flight. I personally prefer FSBuild 2.2 for designing the flights, but it doesn't have the in flight capabilities that FSNav does.

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Yes I can see the defantly the differants in FPS when shutting down a few backround programs 😀 I recomend FSAutoStart 👍 Thansk for the help everyone ❗

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

I installed it this morning. It took awhile to go down the list of programs and services, but using FSAutoStart I'm able to keep the sliders on slightly higher settings without having the controls freeze in flight--which is what happens without using FSAutoStart, at the same settings.

I like tht it starts the programs and services back up when leaving FS, so the computer doesn't have to be rebooted.

HL