SearchSearch 

Backing up PMs

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

What's the best way of backing up your old PMs once the PM folder starts overflowing??

I wanna salvage some sweet memories for when I get old..(er)..?

Fear HELP!!

Thank you 😀

13 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well my way maybe is a litle fool but i copy all the message in a word document.Then when i save it i copy the title and save it by it.Flyaway gives you the ability to save messages in the savebox too.You mark the message you like to and click Saved Marked down to your messages page.
I prefer to have my favorites messages saved in my sytem in a directory that i have create for this reason and in separate folders for each poster.For example Tailhooks MSGs,RadarMans MSGs etc.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks Greekman, I've made use of the 'Savebox' now - I never knew I had one Dont Know

So this gives me a bit of breathing space for the time being. But very soon I'll have to decide how to go on from here. The idea of copying the messages into Word Documents had crossed my mind too, sorry for being fussy again, but as we all know, once created, we have the choice of opening the document with either 'Word' or 'WordPad'.
I would like to keep the messages in their original form - warts and all - including emoticons and other embellishments such as spelling mistakes and swear words 😀

So if I open in 'WordPad' I lose all the emoticons - if I open in 'Word' instead, the fonts look horrible and the spell checker will drive me nuts Wacko

Any more suggestions?
Thanks Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

In my office i use Office 2000 and home i use Office 2003.They both are saving the messages like the following screenshot i take for you ➡

Which version of Office did you use?I think you have told me 2003 or am i wrong?
Anyway in the Tools/Options menu(i speak for Word) in the first choice -View- there is an option -Animated Text.
You have to enable this in order to see your emoticons there.

Let us and i bet that guys more experts than me will come for help too... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Affirmative Greekman, I use Office 2003. Thanks for the screenshot - that looks perfect, exactly the way I would like to save it.
I've got the emoticons now as per your instructions - but I haven't figured out the fonts yet. I'm pretty sure that I haven't changed the default settings yet. I'll play around with it later in the evening.
It seems your screenshot is of Word 2000?
Thanks my friend... if I manage to figure it out before I get old or before Christmas... whichever comes first, I'll compose a nice PM for you, paste it into Word and upload a copy to photobucket and send you the link in the 'Off Topic' forum... hmm 🤔 ...that's how it's done - isn't it??
Geek

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Yes indeed it was Office 2000 cause i was in my office.Now i give the 2003...version of my homes system ➡

Did you check your Animated text to be enabled?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Yes - I've got the Animated Text enabled. This second screenshot looks much more familiar.

So how do you arrive at those beautiful fonts? Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

The fonts are Verdana but there is no need for me to edit the text in order to get this fonts.Fonts are changing by their own when i paste the text. Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

No success - I've tried Format/AutoFormat - negative.
I try Format/Font and change to Verdana 8 - as soon as I paste it reverts back to Times New Roman 12.

I've even tried this: I open a new document, change to Verdana 8 and start typing something... sweet - just like in your screenshots.
Without making any changes I paste below what I've just typed and it reverts back to Times New Roman 12.

This is sooo Microsoft... it's all there - you just gotta find it Wall Bashing

Greekman maybe you could ask one of your secretaries for help... I've heard women are really good with word processing Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Hi-light (like you'd do if you were pasting) it and then change it to Verdana 8.
Then click to get rid of the hi-light and it'll be Verdana 8.
OR: Go to edit-select all then change it to Verdana 8.
Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Follow dear RadarMans suggestion and let us know...

As about my secretaries...they only offer their services to me... 😉 Poke in Eye 🙂)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thank you gentlemen, it works. Radarman both of your methods work just fine. All I've got to figure out now is how to get rid of those silly wriggly red lines that are trying to remind me of spelling mistakes...
- and I can't believe that there's no setting I can change to retain the Verdana rather than having to select it over and over again every time I paste a paragraph. I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful... Umm...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Right click Ignore all or disable speller Wacko 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Right click Ignore all or disable speller Wacko 😉

My point was that I was trying to avoid having to go through the same procedure over and over again during a repetitive task.

This is how you do it: Tools/Spelling and Grammar/Options - under 'Spelling and Grammar' check 'Hide spelling errors in this document' - under 'Grammar' check 'Hide grammatical errors in this document' . This takes care of the wriggly lines Yes

To retain the font of your choice without having to select it again and again, right-click on a line in the text, select 'Font', make your selection ie. Verdana Regular 8 and now comes the trick: click on Default and the settings will stay like this until you change them again!! There you have it

I could swear this used to be easier in Office 2000 Unsure 🍻