FSX keeps locking up during install...Please help

Pro Member Trainee
brentmeister Trainee

Having upgraded my PC specifically for FSX I am now somewhat frustrated/bemused as to why FSX keeps locking up during install. Since purchasing FSX I have updated the drivers/bios/directx/windows, hdd defrag, turned off Anti-virus/Firewall etc used msconfig.

As a last resort I sent away my PC for a hardware checkup/Vista upgrade. The Power supply, memory and Video card are all performing without fault, so what does one have to do to play this sim? Am I missing something? Please help.

P.S. I managed to play FSX on the same PC using Windows XP yet it did freeze regularly in mid flight and also whilst re-installing. I had hoped Vista would solve these annoying problems. How wrong was I.

2Gb Ram
Pentium 4 3.40GHz, Dual Core
200gb HDD
Nvidia GeForce 7300LE
Windows Vista Home Premium

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your running Vista it could be the DVD drive drivers or the drive itself.

Try loading it in safe mode.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I can't remember now what the minimum requirements for Vista Premium are supposed to be.

Frankly, I wouldn't expect great results running VP and FSX with 2Gb of Ram.
If you have vacant slot(s) to upgrade your memory, give that some consideration.

Pro Member Trainee
brentmeister Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

If your running Vista it could be the DVD drive drivers or the drive itself.

Try loading it in safe mode.

Radar

Thanks for the tip RadarMan. Unfortunately I cannot install in safe mode due to runtime errors and other technical issues associated with FSX. I have tried various install methods in safe mode without success.

My DVD is a Sony RW AW-G170A and appears to be working fine. Like I said, prior to installing Vista my HDD locked up on numerous occasions mid-flight so I doubt the problem lies with the DVD. Having said that I cannot locate an updated driver for this device to test the theory.

Fos what it's worth I was obtaining a satisfactory 45 fps (on windows XP) with high graphic settings albeit without autogen and low scenery detail, however when I attempted to increase graphic settings the PC locked up most usually on ILS approach.

What I find most confusing is why the system freezes during Install. In my first Vista FSX install the PC froze whilst installing disc 2 and subsequently all installs either freeze/re-boots the system on disc 1. Having read various topics on this and other forums, it appears many others are experiencing the same problem albeit on XP. I had suspected the FSX discs/program may be corrupted, however because FSX has loaded in the past and worked reasonably well this is also unlikely.

What else can I do?

Pro Member Trainee
brentmeister Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

I can't remember now what the minimum requirements for Vista Premium are supposed to be.

Frankly, I wouldn't expect great results running VP and FSX with 2Gb of Ram.
If you have vacant slot(s) to upgrade your memory, give that some consideration.

That's a depressing prognosis Tailhook. If 2GB of Ram is insufficient to even install the game then FSX is doomed. I have already spent a small fortune on upgrades and will spend no more. For what it's worth the Ram requirements for Vista is 512mb, the processor 1.0GHz and the video card 32mb, therefore my system spec is way above the minimum requirements for Vista and should at the very least install properly.

IMO Microsoft should never have released this product as it is clearly not fit for purpose.

don't get upset yet. FSX is working in many people's computer all over the World. The problem is probably a small setting somewhere in your computer. Keep looking.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your being prevented form going into safe mode because of errors in the OS then it's time to do a clean install of Windows.
That has to be the problem of the freezing also.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
brentmeister Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

If your being prevented form going into safe mode because of errors in the OS then it's time to do a clean install of Windows.
That has to be the problem of the freezing also.

Radar

No problems getting into safe mode, it just won't install whilst in safe mode due to runtime script issues and other FSX install requirements. I have installed many games on Vista without problems. Today I installed and played Caesar IV without a glitch. Only FSX is causing problems. I think I will now bin the game as it is not worth the hassle/expense invested. Perhaps I will try again in 2009.

Pro Member Trainee
brentmeister Trainee

If anyone else is having the same problem then try this, it worked for me.

Remove one memory module...........It's that simple. Having checked and double checked the integrity/compatibility of the hardware there are no known faults, however for some reason FSX won't install using both modules combined.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...