I need help
1. i am using FSX
2. i have GIMP (and know how to use it)
3. i want to modify planes

i have been playing FSX for ages and i have been using gimp for a few weeks
i want to modify planes

can someone tell me which file i go to in FSX so i can modify the AIRCRAFT only
none of that panel and sound stuff
i just want to take the Pure white version of a aircraft and put my name or something on it

Thanx - a step by step would be great

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Why don't you use one of the tutorials? They all use step by step instructions, it's the only way to tackle a task like that.
Depending on what kind of a/c you want to paint you might need a paintkit. Even if you just want to put your name on it your graphics editor might have to have layer properties which, from memory, Gimp lacks. That's why a/c repainters don't use it.
There is also the format conversion issue. Just google or search in this forum for DXTBMP.

Pro Member Trainee
Taylor Crockett (taylorc) Trainee

cheers
after further investigation
i cant use GIMP

So can anyone recommend a program within a students budget
that i can use and has good tutorials

cheers everyone

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

None of the programs' tutorials are tailored for your purpose. Most a/c repainters use either Photoshop or Jasc PSP which is now owned by Corel in case you're looking for it.

Both Photoshop and PSP usually have a fully working trial version limited only by the dreaded 'time factor'. 😉

If I were you, I'd look at several tutorials first and then decide on the graphics editor/paint program, as any tutorial will be written based on a particular editor.

If you put the trial period of one of the above mentioned editors to good use with the aid of a good tut, you should be able to carry over your experience to another editor such as Serif PhotoPlus which is much cheaper particularly in your part of the world. SPP does everything you need for repaints.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...