(added a screen shot) Snow Engine Wash bug

Pro Member Trainee
limeilte Trainee

When taxiing or taking off, I get large blocky pixels coming out the rear of my aircraft. Upon taking off, the pixels continue to follow behind the plane (almost like a smoke trail) but then drop straight toward the ground in like puffs. At a low altitude, they actually bounce off the ground and go back skywards and then eventually dissipate. If I save and reload the flight after leaving the ground, the trail of pixels is no longer present. After lots of trial and error, I've pinpointed the quirky file as fx_SnowEngineWash.fx. After removing the file from the /Effects directory, the problem is resolved but now there is no snow being kicked up behind the aircraft when taking off. It's not a big deal but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or maybe my file is corrupt? Properties show the file as being 2.45 KB (2,511 bytes) in size. Any suggestions?

Update: I removed and reinstalled the program but I'm still getting this glitch. I've also noticed I have the same issue with contrails at high altitudes. Tried new drivers and a defrag as suggested. Still haven't figured this out.

Last edited by limeilte on Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Give us your computer specs.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

limeilte wrote:

.. or maybe my file is corrupt? Properties show the file as being 2.45 KB (2,511 bytes) in size. Any suggestions?

Mine is 3.63 KB in size. See what happens if you use mine, I've uploaded it here ➡

Pro Member Trainee
limeilte Trainee

EVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (not overclocked)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz overclocked to 3.15

CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (not overclocked)

Creative SB X-Fi

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Defrag, set in the cards control panel the AA lower and get the latest drivers for the card.
Be sure to clean out the old ones before loading the new ones.

Radar

have you installed the patch?

Pro Member Trainee
limeilte Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

limeilte wrote:

.. or maybe my file is corrupt? Properties show the file as being 2.45 KB (2,511 bytes) in size. Any suggestions?

Mine is 3.63 KB in size. See what happens if you use mine, I've uploaded it here ➡

I tried yours out and it looks a little different, less blocky, more two dimensional but it still does the same thing as the one I have. I'll have to defrag tomorrow but I have already updated drivers and tried different AA and resolution settings. Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for taking the time to upload your copy so I could give that a try.

Pro Member Trainee
limeilte Trainee

updated with a screenshot

Kohnen Guest

I've had the same thing as well, but only once. Stock 747 free-flying from O'Hare to Washington DC. I tend to think I was using current weather conditions. Haven't seen it prior to that flight, or since then.

My computer is old and slow, but still gets the job done. Mostly... sorta. 😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...