ILS approach - runway 19 - Washington, DC - KDCA

Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

Runway 19 at Ronald Reagan-Washington National Airport is offset from the runway in order to avoid restricted airspace over the US Capitol. If you fly this ILS approach like any other, you will end up on southbound I-495!!

Does anyone know how to properly use the ILS approach for runway 19?

Thanks.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

HowardsRock,

I am very familiar with the approach. I haven't made that approach as of yet. If what you say is true you are off course by about 10 KM, in other words you are too far west to make this approach. If you would have said I-395 and wound up southbound on it I could help. I'll have to try this one sometime. You must be picking up a incorrect becon of some sort. This runway is a ILS runway to be sure.

Regards,

Don Wood Guest

I haven't looked at FS9 to see what approaches exist for DCA but in the real world, there is no ILS approach to Rwy 19 because of the Prohibited Area that a/c would have to cross on the final approach. Instead, there are two LDA (Localizer Directional Aid) approaches. One approaches on a heading of 137 degrees and the other on a heading of 147 degrees and then turns to runway heading on close final.

LDA approaches are fairly rare and the aircraft must have special equipment and the pilot must have special training to request or accept an LDA clearance. The only places they are used I am aware of is in situations such as DCA where an ILS cannot be flown and at large airports such as SFO where there are closer than normal parallel runways.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...