Why do we need a new graphics card?

Pro Member First Officer
Spoty101 First Officer

How come the graphics card they are selling today including mine cant be updated to directX10, thats what people say? Because I had a 64 MB graphics card one time and when I bought it I cant remember if there was directx6 or 7 but it was able to handle directX9 when microsoft released it. 😕 😕 😕 ❓ ❓

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Spoty101 First Officer

just found out when I had the 64 MB graphics card they had dirextX8.1.

DirectX 10 is different from any of the previous releases... it's a completely different approach to graphics and how your computer handles and interprets them. It takes pressure off of the CPU processor and puts more graphics tasks on the GPU on the video card. It also has completely different ways of organizing and accessing Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) that your computer uses when processing complex graphics.

In a nutshell, all video cards work in a completely different way now. In fact, older DirectX versions were backward-compatible, meaning that they could run games working on DirectX 8, 7, 6, and so on... but DirectX 10 is NOT, so you need to have DirectX 9 and 10 on your machine to run old and new games. That's how different DX10 is. So yes, you'll need a new graphics card, and drivers won't do it this time.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Wait, hsas DirectX 10 been released yet?

mypilot wrote:

Wait, hsas DirectX 10 been released yet?

Nope. I dont think its going to be released until vista is out. which is months after FSX is out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

DirectX10 will be released along with Windows Vista,it will not be patched for use with Win XP
So if you want all the bells and whistles that Fsx has promised,your going to need Vista

If you can stand flying with lesser graphics, then XP will run Fsx

As our guest poster has said DX10 is a whole new way of handling the gfx within a pc

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...