Subject: Lancair Legacy for FSX

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

The Lancair Legacy, a high performance two place aircraft, is available for downloading for FSX on this site. Has anyone else tried downloading and flying it? I tried it but I wasn't too pleased with its flying characteristics, especially compared to the one I fly in FS9 - and then when I went to adjust the fuel and payload I noticed something that is really screwy:

Legacy as set up for FSX:
Empty weight 12,780 pounds
Payload 3,788 pounds
Fuel 488.6 gallons
Max gross wt. 19,780 pounds

Legacy as set up for FS9:
Empty weight 1,500 pounds
Payload 299 pounds
Fuel 66.8 gallons
Max gross wt. 2,200 pounds

Legacy per Lancair (the maker of REAL AIRCRAFT):
Empty weight 1,500 pounds
Payload 310 pounds
Fuel 65 gallons
Max gross wt. 2,200 pounds

The FSX numbers are almost 9 times what they should be. Why did Flyaway publish this aircraft for FSX with such outrageously distorted weights? Will this error be corrected?
(Do I also remember that there is no autopilot for the FSX version? That's outrageous for a high performance, cross country aircraft!)

Respectfully, Pete

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's designed by someone else, we just have it for download.
email the designer for help. His email should be in the read me.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks, Radarman.
I e-mailed him but received a rather rude response that did nothing to resolve the discrepencies I pointed out above.
I just attempted to e-mail a copy of the exchanges to you but got an error (twice) when I clicked "send" (twice).
I have copied Robert Christopher, the designer of the "original" (and excellent) Legacy for FS9, on all the correspondence.
I'm working on this because I feel that the models put up for us by those who enjoy making models should have *some* resemblance to the real world aircraft and *someone* should hold them accountable, even for freeware.

Best regards, Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

Thanks, Radarman.
I e-mailed him but received a rather rude response that did nothing to resolve the discrepencies I pointed out above.
I just attempted to e-mail a copy of the exchanges to you but got an error (twice) when I clicked "send" (twice).
I have copied Robert Christopher, the designer of the "original" (and excellent) Legacy for FS9, on all the correspondence.
I'm working on this because I feel that the models put up for us by those who enjoy making models should have *some* resemblance to the real world aircraft and *someone* should hold them accountable, even for freeware.

Best regards, Pete

Too bad that happened, see what you can do.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

The Lancair Legacy, a high performance two place aircraft, is available for downloading for FSX on this site. Has anyone else tried downloading and flying it? I tried it but I wasn't too pleased with its flying characteristics, especially compared to the one I fly in FS9

The FSX numbers are almost 9 times what they should be. Why did Flyaway publish this aircraft for FSX with such outrageously distorted weights? Will this error be corrected?
Respectfully, Pete

I just had a look at the file description:

This is a highly modified version of Robert Christopher's Lancair For Flight Simulator X Includes .. New Texture , Airfile And CFG files created by Rooks Silva Design Group ( RSDG ) by Mark Rooks " Fireball ".

Apart from new textures it also mentions new Airfile and Cfg file. Gauges are not addressed at all.
I wonder, did the 'modifiers' think the gauges would become compatible by implementing those changes?

If you're wondering why Flyaway has this aircraft available for FSX in the library... I can only guess.
Try looking at it from a different angle: Why does avsim.com for example not have it available for FSX?

If you wish to avoid future disappointments, I can only suggest to you what I would do.
Should I ever find a file in this library that I really want, I would check at flightsim.com and avsim.com in particular and see if the file is available at those portals. If not, I'd give it a miss.

I'm sorry to hear this. The original aircraft was released late 2003. There is a possibility that the Modifiers weren't able to contact Robert Christopher and thus went ahead with their adventure without his consent. Unfortunately this happens quite a lot.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Tailhook and Radarman!

Thank you Tailhook for suggesting that a person can check against AVSIM to see if a given aircraft is available through them. That could be useful but I tend to download models of aircraft that I know and like regardless of the source. However, having said that, I can report that there are at least three "Flightsim aircraft builders" from whom I will *never* download another airplane.

Sometimes you can tell if a product is good or not by reading the "Readme" and looking through the files in the package. If they want me to add someone else's panel or gauges or sound package then I usually pass on the plane and erase the files before installing them. Although I usually have no trouble installing a new aircraft I have not yet graduated to mixing files from different sources. I am also leery of installing a plane that comes with it's own ".exe" installer. This is because some like that have added extra junk to my computer that gave me nothing but headaches. Certain French designers seem to make a habit of that, but that's all I'll say for now.

The last response from Mr. Rooks was even more rude than his first. I've given up on this guy.
He indicated that a panel from the Extra 300 was used for his RSDG, FSX Legacy. From what I can tell, the "Aircraft.cfg" file was brought over from some other aircraft as well but definitely not from the Extra 300. It came from a much larger plane.
Mr. Rooks claims that the ".cfg" parameters are "for flight dynamics purpose not real life". If that is true then I wonder why his ".cfg" file has to be different from Robert Christopher's ".cfg" file. Christopher's plane flies beautifully. Is Rook's version different to avoid accusations of theft?

A Lancair Legacy repaint (Gold nose!) from this same source has now shown up as available for FSX. It has the same screwed up "Aircraft.cfg" file, and the same rotten flight characteristics, as the "RSDG" Legacy.

Just be forewarned.

Respectfully, Pete

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...