FSX on a 22" widescreen LCD without distortion: how?

Dogmatix Guest

Hi,

I have just changed my 18" normal aspect LCD for a new 22" 16:10 wide aspect, 1680x1050 pixel LCD. Naturally, I changed the resolution setting in Windows (XP) to suit. However, when running FSX the picture is distorted, i.e. everything is stretched sideways, as though FSX still thinks a non-wide-screen monitor is attached. Circles become ovals, squares become rectangles etc.

Is there any way of convincing FSX to run in wide-screen mode, using the wide-screen monitor to its best advantage?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have a 24" wide screen, just play with the different resolutions until you find one you like.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

Probably best to leave your settings alone and simply run FSX in Window mode rather that Full Screen mode. That's what I do and it works fine

go to settings> Customize> Graphics

you will see all the video resolution settings there

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

In FSX.cfg, scroll down to Aspect, Change from False to True - I had the same problem with my new ViewSonic 22" - Sure Fixed it - Can run in the highest resolution - make sure your driver is up to day.
Hope this helps.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cthiggin wrote:

In FSX.cfg, scroll down to Aspect, Change from False to True - I had the same problem with my new ViewSonic 22" - Sure Fixed it - Can run in the highest resolution - make sure your driver is up to day.
Hope this helps.

Way to go cthiggin 😀

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

cthiggin wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hi Higgsy

I have tried to follow up on your advice. First of all, I have never edited a config file before. But thought it would be as simple as finding it in my \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ directory, double clicking on a file named FSX.cfg, which would open and allow me to scroll down and edit as you commented.

But to start with, I cannot even find a file name FSX.cfg.
And secondly, if i double click on other .cfg files it comes up with a "Windows cannot open this file" dialog etc etc

Can somebody please throw a bit of light?

Thanks aloft 😛

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

Depends on operating system you're using - Vista IS different.
Just do a "search" for FSX.cfg - It will show you the file and the location.
AFTER you have found it, right-click and "open-with" - tell it NotePad or WordPad - that will open the config file - the "wide screen - false statement is about a third of the way down - just change false to "true" - make sure you "save" the file and you should be ready to go. As said before, make sure your video drivers are up to date - for best performance you may have to "lower" your resolution a little BUT, you will still have your "nice" wide-screen without distortion.
Hope this helps - let me know -
cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

Thanks Higgo

Well now that Iv'e chosen notepad to open .cfg files, any subsequent double clicking on a .cfg will immediately open them. Great Stuff!

But still no sign of a FXS.cfg file in my entire hard drive. I have the deluxe edtion. I looked in display.cfg and scenery.cfg but no "Aspect" property anywhere.

Nevertheless I have decided to let sleeping dogs lie, as my poor laptop struggles with the current window size and average graphic settings I am happy with the current experience.

Once again thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

In Control Panel you can go to Folder Options / View and change from the default to 'Show hidden files and folders'.

Once you've done that, the path to the fsx.cfg file is:

/Local Disk/Documents and Settings/(your)Username/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX

Voila Idea

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

Tailhook you are 100% correct

I found fsx.CFG as you discribed.

If ever I get the courage to tweak my dual core laptop, and squeeze a bit more performace out of her, I will know where to fine the ViewWideAspect property.

Thanks

PS Trippy picture man ^'^!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...