Trimming an aircraft for level flight

If its not too much to ask, can anyone give me a step by step guide on trimming an aircraft. You can make it specific to the Cessna 172 in FSX, but i just need step by step written details on once i reach cruising altitude, how much trim to apply with what power. I tried the lesson in FSX, but I still can't seem to figure it out. I seem to do better with step by step written instructions. Thanks

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Personally, I find trimming works like a science.

When climbing to a cruise level...

- Add full power - don't bother trying to climb without full power
- Pitch for best climb speed (around 65-70kts) - to hold the climb you'll need back pressure on the yoke hold this for a few seconds maintaining best climb speed (you can double check this speed in the Kneeboard)
-You're now ready to trim - use some elevator trim in increments until you can start to relieve back pressure on the yoke / joystick making sure you are maintaining the correct speed.

You should now be established in the climb with only 2 fingers hovering over the yoke to stabilise turbulence - equating to loose grip of your joystick in the sim.

This can be remembered by the following...Power...Attitude...Trim - PAT

When levelling out of the climb...

You do the slight reverse here.

-Reduce the pitch up attitde to near zero
-Reduce throttle to around 2200RPM
-Incremental trim to reduce any pressure on the yoke whilst maintaining speed.

...in this case...Attitude...Power...Trim - APT

When starting a climb or descent then use PAT - when ending a climb or descent, use APT - if you think about it for a few seconds, it makes sense.

The thing with trim is to be patient - you are actually moving small tabs on the elevators and it doesn't require a lot of movement. Make small movements of trim tabs and wait for the inertia of the aircraft to stop before making another movement. If you hold the trim button down, it'll jump and you'll be doing unintentional aerobatics.

I hope that helps and good luck!

That was a great explanation. Thank you.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...