FSX file extension definitions

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

Does anyone know if there is a source that defines all of the file extensions used in FSX and how they interelate with each other? I would like to understand exactly which files are required for add on scenery for example. I've noticed that some of the downloads contain a main folder which has two folders within it, (scenery) which has .bgl files and another (texture) which has .agn files. Then there are other downloads which only have a bunch of . bgl files. Are both valid? If so, how should they be properly installed?
Another point of confusion is the construct of flight files. These seem to include name.flt, name.wx, and name.fssave. Where should they be installed and how are they called up?
There are others, but I do not wish to waste your time, this post is too long as it is.
Please only reply if you really know the answers to my inquiry. If you think you know, but are not sure, don't bother - I'm confused enough as it is, and I've noticed alot of well intended misinformation out there. 😕
Thanks in advance ... Art

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer

Gosh, the silence is deafening. Could it be that there is not one person out there that can address the questions in my post. Perhaps that is so, but what about all the folks that create these files. I must assume that they know something about the basic file structure of FSX, otherwise how can they provide us with their magnificent downloads? Maybe all those who know are afraid to share their knowledge. Maybe my post came across as sounding too restrictive. I certainly didn't mean it that way, I'm simply looking for some basic instructions in order to further my understanding of how FSX is put together.
I've been a member of Flyaway for almost a year and have received help from countless other members willing to share what they know. I would like to some day be in the position of being able to reciprocate. So, if there is at least one individual that participates in this forum that could at least point the way for me, I would be deeply greatful.
Regards ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😀 I can give you partial, not entirely professional answers but you phrased it as if you just wanted scenery gurus to answer.
Your best bet would be to post in a scenery builders forum and get exactly what you are looking for.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thank you for the advice RM. 😞 I shall follow your suggestion. Sorry for the phrasing, but I thought I made it clear that I was interested in more than just scenery. That was simply meant to be an example of my confusion over the file structure in FSX. There are so many different file extensions to deal with, whether the subject is scenery, aircraft, or whatever. That said, are you able to point me to somewhere that offers a more complete explanation of the "bowels" of FSX. I do not wish to become a programmer, I'm only looking for some good information on the subject. Read
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This is the best I can find.

The first should be right on, the second???

File .bgi Borland Graphics Interface device driver .bgl Flight Simulator

annotation file (.agn)

AGN PSION Series 3 Agenda

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...