Flight Director question

Pro Member Trainee
FlyPast Trainee

Ok so i've read what there is on here regarding FD but am still confused.

I want to be set up the FD cross hair lines so i can follow them in terms of height/heading down to the runway. I dont want full AP control, I just want manual guidance from the pink lines in the left hand artificial horizon screen that come up when you select FD. I set up the Nav1 radio to the ILS frequency of the runway and leave the heading and altitude switches on for the AP but leave the AP main switch off (as per the tuition guide in FSX). I enter the bearing of the runway into the course box. Then i switch FD on and make sure the NAV is on rather than GPS. All this is done as well as setting it up via GPS (not sure if this is needed) so i get the red approach line in GPS.

When all this is done although i get indication as to whether i'm high or low, the pink line for heading (ie left or right) never moves off centre line in the left hand main screen. Why is this? Am i doing something wrong here?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

***This is best learned in the Cessna 172***

Sounds like you are not getting the ILS signal. Make sure that you have the ILS freq in the active position on the NAV 1 and not just in the standby position.

Also be advised that the ILS signal is very directional, if you're not in the correct position relative to the runway, it won't give accurate guidance. You have to be on the correct side of the airport, for the approach, for the ILS to function.

For the FD system to capture the ILS signal, you have to select Approach mode.

Pro Member Trainee
FlyPast Trainee

Ok, i'll give it another go. Have tried though a number of times using the 737. I have been able to obtain ILS and AP landings by hitting the glideslope and the AP will take me to the runway before i take control for the final 500ft. I understand how to do this. I am trying to get the ILS cross to function so i can just follow it manually.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

It works exactly the same as with the AP except without the AP selected on.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...