Need help on how to Nav too capturing glide slope

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

I can't get it right when in nav mode. When tuned to GPS no problem establishing ILS but I understand, or not that GPS doesn't get the vertical signal so you cant establish glide slope. ❓
So I enter course, select NAV, enter vor freq into nav 1 and tune to freq, I know I have it because when I turn NAV 1 switch on I hear the freq code. Turn on APPR and A/C keep flying on the last heading instead of turning to ILS. 🙄

What am I missing or doing wrong.

Does anyone know of a link to a VIDEO tutorial. I have read the manual and a text tut, but still can't get it right.

Thanks

Never mind I got it. 😀 I was expecting to caputure glide slope further out from runway.

But now when approaching in low visability, what is the lowest one should let their ALT drop to before glide slope capture. ❓

Thanks again

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

The altitude depends on the approach-- You can get approach plates for american airports from the faa's website. airnav.com is another good resource, and includes international plates.

Otherwise, altitudes should be given to you by ATC.

Pro Member First Officer
Accelor First Officer

Traches wrote:

The altitude depends on the approach-- You can get approach plates for american airports from the faa's website. airnav.com is another good resource, and includes international plates.

Otherwise, altitudes should be given to you by ATC.

Thanks I figured that out as well. Just needed to be patient and let the A/C fly onto the G/S. 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yes, you always need to catch the GS / LOC first so that AP can hold it for you.

As for interception altitude, it can be anywhere from 1800ft up to 3000ft or so.

Pro Member First Officer

99jolegg wrote:

As for interception altitude, it can be anywhere from 1800ft up to 3000ft or so.

Unless you're flying into denver... Ouchie!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I should have added 'AGL' on to both of those.

Pro Member First Officer

I figured as much, I was just being facetious 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...