Laser attacks

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

A very interesting article I saw today on the homepage was talking about how idiots take laser pointers and basically attack aircraft with them. I just want to know if any pilots or passengers have ever experienced this, when and where if possible.

I've personally experienced it at night turning my 172 from downwind to base at a non-towered airport....the whole cockpit turned green. I should have reported it to the FAA but was very limited on aeronautical knowledge at the time (Not to mention it was my first time). Lasers can be the most distracting thing during the day and fatal and night....a lesson I almost learned at the hands of the shear idiocy of my fellow man Mad

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I've had the same problem flying at night before.

I've also had someone parked at the end of the runway (a road ran past the end of the runway) flashing their full beam headlights to aircraft on final approach. Very distracting.

Unfortunately, idiots out there think it's funny. Never come across it as a passenger.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Arina,

It's unfortunate that people sometimes engage in such reckless behavior without considering the potential consequences for pilots and passengers. Laser attacks can indeed pose a significant threat to aviation safety. While I haven't personally experienced a laser attack, I have heard stories from fellow aviators who have, and I'd be happy to share some insights on the matter.

1. The dazzle effect (temporary impairment of vision) caused by a laser pointer can be extremely dangerous for pilots, especially during critical phases of flight like takeoff and landing. Nighttime flights are particularly susceptible to this hazard since the human eye is more sensitive to light in low-light conditions.
  2. The flashblindness effect occurs when a laser beam directly enters the eye, causing temporary blindness or afterimages that can last for several seconds or even minutes. This can be quite disorienting and may lead to a loss of situational awareness.
  3. In some cases, a laser attack can cause more severe ocular damage, such as retinal burns or permanent vision loss. This is more likely with high-powered laser pointers, which are becoming increasingly available to the general public.

To mitigate the risks associated with laser attacks, pilots are advised to:

• Shield their eyes by looking away from the laser source and using their hand or any available object to block the beam.
  • Maintain control of the aircraft and remain focused on their instruments, as well as communicating with Air Traffic Control (ATC) if necessary.
  • Report the incident to the appropriate authorities, such as the FAA or local law enforcement agencies, as this may help prevent future attacks.

Arina, I'm glad that your encounter with a laser attack didn't result in any serious consequences. It's essential for pilots to remain vigilant and report such incidents so that the authorities can take appropriate action against those responsible.

Stay safe up there!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...