Too much to expect?

Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

Hi guys and gals,

So I'm geeting a bit long in the tooth with this computer business and gone are the days of 486's, pentiums and p2ntium 2's which were cutting edge in my day. |But gladly tech moves on.

So, on the advice of a good friend and having reserarched this I invested in the following machine, purley for FSX (but of course i run other stuff on it to on my D drive):

Core i5 overclocked to 4.6GHz
4GB RAM
Solid state Hard Drive
GTX 460

So, I capped my FPS at 30 for the sake of being sensible. I installed Ulitmate Traffic 2 which whacked the FPS at major airports. I run no other third party add-on other than LDS 767 and ezdok.

With less than maximum sliders I get as little as 9FPS at JFK (night, weather downloaded from server, LDS virtual cockpit, UT2). Is this normal or are my settinsg wrong or even worse is my spec not performing as it should?

I appreciate the expertise of you guys so please let me know of a solution or recommended settings etc.

Best wishes
Dan

Last edited by renesis on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

PS, 'm running Windows 7 Home premium 64bit if this helps

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your system looks good.
The video card isn't the latest and running a 64bit system with 4gigs ram isn't using the full potential of that OS.
I would bump it up 4 more ram (8 is good).

Be sure you are using SP1 and SP2 patches for FSX.
SP2 contains the code for FSX that puts to use all the cores of your CPU.

If you want better FPS right this minute back off autogen and AI, they use quite a bit.

Radar

acclaimtypeS Guest

Thinking about buying a computer for flight sim x gold with REX add on, specs as follows;
Dell Optiplex GX620
Intel Pentium 4 3.4gHz HT
1GB DDR2 RAM
80 GB HDD
Intel GMA 950 Graphics chip
Window XP profesional.

Worth buying?
I dont want everything cranked down, I'd like some AI traffic, REX weather, ground vehicles vehicles dont matter, but fps, scenery, and weather mean alot.
Thanks in advance,
A.T.S

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

acclaimtypeS wrote:

Thinking about buying a computer for flight sim x gold with REX add on, specs as follows;
Dell Optiplex GX620
Intel Pentium 4 3.4gHz HT
1GB DDR2 RAM
80 GB HDD
Intel GMA 950 Graphics chip
Window XP profesional.

Worth buying?
I dont want everything cranked down, I'd like some AI traffic, REX weather, ground vehicles vehicles dont matter, but fps, scenery, and weather mean alot.
Thanks in advance,
A.T.S

1 gig of ram and an integrated video card isn't worth it.
It will not run FSX as you want it.
You might be better off with buying 2004.

Radar

1AcclaimtypeS Guest

Jeez, that system is running multiples on microsofts operating minimums placed on the box. So, to play a $30 game you need a $700 computer? Ridiculous. So what, if even able, would you recommend to bring the computer up to task and at what cost?

AcclaimtypeS Guest

2004 would be the equivalent of FSX with the graphics cranked down anyhow.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The P-4 and your CPU is 5 years old.
They build FSX not to be run full out for at least 3 years after it's release.

I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade but if you want, get 4 gigs of ram (including the one you have ) and disable the integrated video card and get at least a 1gig card...if the machine has a slot for it.
If you only have a 350w power supply, forget the upgrades you need a 750w minimum.

Radar

WFT Guest

I've decided on better uses for my money, like a pair of 12" subs, an amp, a 5 1/4 pioneers for my truck. And it was still 1/2 the cost of a gaming computer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Do what you want most, enjoy the new mods on the car.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Do what you want most, enjoy the new mods on the car.

Radar

Yeah.... and wait till VRS finally release the TacPack.... he is gonna wish he made that upgrade.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...