Re-installation of FSX Deluxe Addition on Windows 10 - Help

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

FSX was installed when I had Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10, and it still worked well. However I uninstalled it from my C: drive to reinstall it on a new, bigger, faster, SDD drive. After solving the IDRIVER. EXE issues, I get the opening installation screen, but my only options are Repair an existing installation (which I now don't have) or uninstall which throws an error. Why can't I install fresh? The 2 disks are original Microsoft disks and I have the licence key. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You have to clean out all the hidden files and folders as well as the lines in the registry to get a clean install.

Try using Revo uninstaller...free.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

Thanks for the advice, Radarman. I had to use the Pro version because you need the Forced Uninstall option to clear the registry. I can now start the install, I choose More Options, and browse to where I want the install to be. It starts the install with messages too quick to read, but then gets to a point where it says Removing Applications with 5 progress bars, and hangs. If I look at the designated folder I see it has copied the Font file and the Support Internet shortcut. Any further ideas to help progress?

Thanks in advance!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Start over again and let it rewrite over itself.
If you chose any other drive than "C" that could be your problem.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

Once again, thanks. I did try twice including a restart in between before I posted, but it didn't help. So the problem is most likely now what you say, I am trying to install on a disk other than c:. The idea of a new disk was to enable me to add additional scenery, there was no room left on c:. Unless there are other ideas, I will have to move other programs to the new disk in order to make space. I will keep you informed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That may be it and be sure to clean it out again before trying.
Let us know how you do.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

Hi there. Latest update - no luck. I have freed up enough space on the c: disk (Patchcleaner did most of that), have used Revo Unstaller to clean the PC again, rebooted, and retried. Same thing as before - the install starts, initial directories are made (on c: now), but the installation hangs with the message Removing Applications and the CD light on. Task Manager shows no CPU activity for the installer shield and iDriver processes. I cannot find any other Flight Sim applications. I tried the Revo Installer but that seemed to just call the setup file on the CD with the same result.

Any ideas what to try now?

A dual boot has been suggested, installing a 2nd clean version of Windows on the new disk (or a partition thereof) just for the flight sim, but not sure if that will work.

Thanks

David

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

Well, I have to take it all back! Revo was running in the background telling me it was monitoring progress, so I decided to leave it running. Then next thing I noticed (quite sometime later, and after writing the previous post) was that everything was installed! Evidently all indications are that nothing is happening but it is working in the background. Patience seems to be the keyword here.

Anyway, I think I will uninstall it now and try a custom install on the new disk. If I don't succeed, I will come back to c:.

For the record, I will update again once done, either way.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Yes!
Great to hear that it worked out for you.
Now a custom install, I hope it works and you can go back to enjoying the Sim.
Thanks for letting us know.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

HI Radarman.

Been busy with other things, come back to this now. Although the sim is working, it is not finding the updated scenery I have added. I have found two scenery.cfg files, one still on C: (don't know why, under Program Files/FSX...) and another in the directory where FSX is installed on H:, the new SDD. I have edited the files, and pointed the add on to the correct directory (Local=H:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery). The scenery area also prioritized as 1 in both files. But it still uses the very old default scenery. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You might be better off seeing if someone on a hardware forum could help you with that.
I would try https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/26/programming/ first.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

Ok, thanks will do, even though this still seems to be a S/W rather than H/W problem?

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

Hi Radarman

I got it to work eventually, and then tried the Steam version which also worked, and I fond is better - faster and smoother. Now I wonder if you can help with another problem. I downloaded the photo realistic scenery that is recommended by Fly Away as one of the top 10 for 2019, but I get an error that says "area 121 is missing". I have looked at the scenery config file and found that the scenery is there as priority 1, but it is the last in the table - area 118. I edited that to 121, but it did not help. Any ideas?

Thanks

David

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Personally I would ignore that message and live without it.
I understand how others want it perfect.
The only way I can think of is to email the designer, tell him the problem and see if he can email you a fix.

Radar

Enko Guest

Just a quick add to the original question regarding the re-installation.

I had the exact same issue with FSX Boxed, I selected repair first, then, after repair used the setup to uninstall.

It appears that, certainly for the boxed edition I had, FSX does not like you to uninstall from the control panel.

Pro Member Trainee
DavidMM Trainee

Radarman,

I left a note on the download page, but no response - I see that someone else also left a note a few months earlier and also so did not get a response. There is a link there to their blog page, but the last post was back in 2018... The interesting thing is that Fly Away has rated it one of the top 10 scenery add-ons for 2019 ❓ ❓ ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If they are using the same add-on as you and not having the problem (if they were the forums would be packed with complaints) then there may be a conflict between two add-ns.
One is overwriting the other and causing that message.
Hopefully someone found the answer and will see this thread and come to the rescue.
I still feel that emailing the designer can't hurt.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...