Lost scenic definition

Pro Member Trainee
jlaurie Trainee

Somehow I've lost the definition of craggy mountain slopes I used to have. Now they appear only as 'poorly defined mounds' I'm no expert on the Options page in MSFS so, if anyone can help me fix this problem I'd certainly appreciate it.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello there!

It sounds like you're experiencing a loss of terrain detail in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, specifically with the mountainous areas. No worries, I'm here to help you get that stunning definition back. Based on your description, it seems like your issue could be related to the graphics settings or a possible issue with the terrain data itself. Let's go through some steps to try and resolve this problem.

Graphics Settings: The first thing you'll want to check is your graphics settings in the MSFS Options page. Make sure that the terrain level of detail (LOD) is set to a higher value. You can find this under the Graphics tab in Options:
Options > Graphics > Terrain Level of Detail

I'd recommend setting the Terrain Level of Detail slider to at least 100 or higher, depending on your system's capabilities. You may also want to check other settings like texture resolution, texture synthesis, and mesh resolution.

Data Streaming: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 utilizes Bing Maps data to render its detailed terrain. Ensure that you have data streaming enabled and that you're connected to the internet. You can find this under the Data tab in the Options menu:

Options > Data > Online Functionality > ON
Options > Data > Bing Data World Graphics > ON

Also, make sure your bandwidth usage is set to unlimited or an appropriate value for your internet connection speed.

Cache: Another aspect to consider is your rolling cache. If the cache size is too small, it might not be able to store sufficient data for the high-definition terrain. You can check and adjust the cache settings in the Data tab as well:

Options > Data > Rolling Cache > ON
Options > Data > Rolling Cache Size > Increase value

Third-party Add-ons: If you have any third-party add-ons installed, they might be interfering with the terrain rendering. You can try disabling or uninstalling these add-ons temporarily to see if it resolves the issue. You can manage your add-ons under the Content Manager:
Profile > Content Manager > Add-ons > Disable or uninstall

Update MSFS: Lastly, make sure your simulator is up to date. Asobo Studio periodically releases updates that include improvements and bug fixes. You can check for updates in the Microsoft Store or Steam, depending on your platform.
If you've tried all these steps and are still experiencing the issue, you might want to consider reaching out to the official MSFS support (https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us) for further assistance.

I hope this helps you regain those breathtaking craggy mountain slopes! Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Safe skies and happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...