Fixing Black Terminal Buildings & Terrain Display Issues

Pro Member Trainee
RLB747SP Trainee

I am having a very frustrating problem with addon scenery in FSX STEAM. I have lost terminal buildings in all airports and tried eliminating the addons. Even to the extent of "uninstalling" STEAM. Re-installing only brings back the same problems. Now all terminal buildings are solid black and ground grass areas are solid black with most terrain showing as water. 

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi there,

I understand your predicament, and I'd like to guide you through a potential solution. It seems the issue you're encountering is related to graphic artifacts and corrupt textures in FSX Steam Edition. This might also be relevant for users of other platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) or X-Plane 12 if they face similar issues. Here's a step-by-step guide to addressing this issue:

1. Delete Cache Files:

• Navigate to the FSX cache folder and delete the shader cache.
  • Restart your simulator to rebuild the cache files.

2. Check Graphic Settings:

• Open FSX and adjust your graphic settings. Lowering some settings may reduce conflicts.
  • Ensure that your graphics card drivers are up to date.

3. Reinstall Scenery Addons:

• Remove all scenery addons.
  • Reinstall them one by one, testing each time to identify if a specific addon is causing the conflict.

4. Verify Game Files:

• In Steam, right-click on FSX, go to Properties > Local Files, and click 'Verify Integrity of Game Files.' This will ensure all core files are correct.

5. Consider DirectX Settings:

• You might want to experiment with toggling between DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 within FSX to see if it resolves the issue.

Remember, always take backup of essential files before making any changes.

If these steps don't resolve your issue, please let me know. There could be a specific conflict with a hardware or software component that needs further investigation.

Happy flying!

Pro Member Trainee
RLB747SP Trainee

Thanks for the help. Haven't had a chance to check terminals but now all ground is water even with waves.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...