Do I need dual core?

robson131 Guest

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21628/dual-core-processors/

Would the link I put above work for FSX aswell? I have a amd athlon 4000+, All my textures are on high, All scenery and vehicals buildings tree etc boats cars are on low and airport activity, Is this more to do with the CPU? because it works fine with these settings, As soon as I put the other settings up which is all the activity trees and everything, My computer runs to a halt lol, I have a 7900GTX 512, Im thinking about buying a 4600 Dual core but Im not sure 😞 Please help me and any comments

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
mikecurrie Trainee

doesnt work for me, goes jerky as hell, but does the same with 2004

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

There was a thread here indicating that FSX is not optimised for dual core processors, so it might not give you any advantage.

bobbyz Guest

I've got a dual core PC and have been pretty disappointed with the results which I think now is down to what CrashGordon has said.

As an example, when running a game like Company of Heroes, the high CPU usage shown by the task manager is clearly being shared by the two processors as shown below

But when I run FSX, only the processor in the right hand screen is being used and it runs at max even on the lowest default settings

What makes its it all the more annoying is that my PC is (I think) pretty decent but the CPU seems to be holding it back in FSX Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Trainee
mikecurrie Trainee

hopefully it will be supported in a patch.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

bobbyz wrote:

I've got a dual core PC and have been pretty disappointed with the results which I think now is down to what CrashGordon has said.

As an example, when running a game like Company of Heroes, the high CPU usage shown by the task manager is clearly being shared by the two processors as shown below

But when I run FSX, only the processor in the right hand screen is being used and it runs at max even on the lowest default settings

What makes its it all the more annoying is that my PC is (I think) pretty decent but the CPU seems to be holding it back in FSX Crying or Very sad

bobbyz, FSX will share both, you just have to tell it to thats all. 😉

See here........... https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21628/dual-core-processors/

If you get stuck, then me me a shout and I'll do a talk through, just a matter of a few clicks.

bobbyz Guest

Tks Wing-Man, just tried that and it does now share the load but still in total seems to limit the total CPU to 50 for FSX. The remainder is shown as system idle so no noticeable change in performance - if I could get rid of what appears to be the machine wide limit of 50 then I reckon I'd be laughing

SP1 improves dual core performance !

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...