Will this run FSX

I've just ordered this new system and all i want to know is will this run FSX really good

Processor (CPU)
INTEL® Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2 X 2.93GHz) 1066MHz FSB/4MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
4096 MB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz

Motherboard
ASUS® P5W DH DELUXE: DDR2, x16 slot, 975X chipset, 3 PCI

Operating System
WINDOWS® VISTA Ultimate (inc. Genuine CD & License)

USB Options
USB PORTS & BLUETOOTH USB ADPATER

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st CD/DVD Drive
2x Blu-Ray BDRW + 12x DVD±RW/4x Dual Lyr + 32x CDRW

2nd CD/DVD Drive
16X DVD ROM WITH 48X CD ROM

Graphics Card
Buyin one seperatly - http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/uk/uk/432602/art/sapphire-technology/toxic-x1950xtx-512-mb-dua.html

Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic 7.1: £49

Network Facilities
Onboard Wireless 54 Mbps LAN (802.11g) & 2 x Gigabit LAN Ports

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 57 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD FORMAT)

Power Supply & cooling
600W Quiet Quad Rail PSU incl Case Fan & CPU Cooler

Firewire & Video Editing
3 PORT FIREWIRE (IEEE1394) PCI CARD

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Great processor
Great RAM amount
Good Power supply(I'd go with 1000 watt if you had two video cards)
Great DVD drives
Adequate video card(with all this power, I'd get two)

You should run FSX better than most people, I'm jealous. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

I actually posted up this while trying to find my password to login but i also found this other Graphic Card and will it make FSX run better or slower http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-020-EA

But this has DX10

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Eventually your PC will run FSX really well in the 'future' after Windows Vista patches some updates, and DirectX10b is available and after your graphics card company which in your case is ATi comes out with a better supported Catalyst driver for FSX. Your system will grow better with FSX than many many others, but don't expect to right away run everything on High or even Ultra high even with this PC.

I am not a huge fan of the video card you are choosing. I don't think this is a DirectX10 supported card, which is the platform that FSX is supposed to really take off on. The GeForce 8 series is the only cards right now with DX10 support. The 8800 will be your only real choice right now.

The biggest thing to remember is SLi is NOT supported in FSX. See my post in the forums about that. And remember that Dual-Core CPu's are not directly supported either. So these features will not help you. When I enabled SLi I auctually had worse FPS than a single vid card.

It won't be a hardware issue that you can't run on Ultra-High everything, more of a combo of vid drivers,OS patches,DX10 patches and FSX fixes that need to improve over time.

Good Luck!

AstroSteve

Last edited by Steve (astrosteve) on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

So what your saying is that a Core 2 Extreme Processor won't run FSX and i'd have to sell it to someone or does it run on one processor and not the one that is not using any applications?

And also, i know that the X1950 is only DX9 and doesn't have DX10 but the 8800 series does have DX10, look in the description and it supports windows Vista

Pro Member First Officer

No the processor will run FSX with no problem, it just does not support the sim in dual-core mode. No SLi or Quad SLi support either for FSX. THESE THINGS DO NOT IMPROVE THE SIM!!!!

and YES as I said in my previous post the 8-series (8800) Nvidia cards are the only DX10 cards right now.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Excellent, up the power supply to at least a 750w and you will be safe for a long time.

Radar

What does SLI and Quad SLI mean?

And which Graphic Card should i go with

The Sapphire Toxic X1950 or the GeForce 8800 DX10 Series?

Oh and can you get The X1950 upgraded to DX10?

Pro Member First Officer

Holy Cow, you really don't know???? 😳 No you cannot upgrade the card to DirectX10. It does not work like that. And the 8800 is really the only choice right now since it's the only card with DX10 capability.

Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a method developed by NVIDIA for linking two (or more) video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an application of parallel processing for computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics. With SLI, it is possible to roughly double the amount of graphic complexity that can be handled by a computer just by adding a second identical video card.

The name SLI was first used by 3dfx with its Scan-Line Interleave, which was introduced in 1998 and used in the Voodoo2 line of graphics accelerators. 3dfx collapsed financially and its intellectual property was purchased by NVIDIA when the company was wound down. NVIDIA reintroduced the SLI name in 2004 and intends for it to be used in modern computer systems based on the PCI Express (PCIe) bus. However, the technology behind the name SLI has changed dramatically.

Quad SLi is the ability to run two identical video cards each with dual graphic processor units.This technology is brand new and not widely supported yet.

For more info on SLI go here.....

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_learn.html

There is a nice little 'Demo for Dummies' video

Enjoy

AstroSteve

Anonymous wrote:

What does SLI and Quad SLI mean?

And which Graphic Card should i go with

The Sapphire Toxic X1950 or the GeForce 8800 DX10 Series?

Oh and can you get The X1950 upgraded to DX10?

Oh thats what SLI is, iv'elooked that up before but didn't know it was that feature.

But which one should i buy?

The Geforce 8800 series or the X1950?

Pro Member First Officer

DUDE for the last time.....The 8800 !!!! It's the only card that supports DX10 right now. Ati does not currently have a DX10 card. Why do I feel that I am talking with a 5 year old???? Gees.... man really read what I am typing in this post. And log in so it does not say 'Guest' I hate that.

Whoa!! Calm down mate, seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed and landed on something bad. Im not Bill Gates or the person from War Games who started pretend Nuclear War, i just wanted to know what Graphic Card i wanted. Oh and im not 5, im 14 and have got 8 A+'s in my Computer Couse.

Pro Member First Officer

Great just read and interpuret what you are reading and it will avoid allot of reposting the same information. Idea Blink Read

Good Luck with your investment.

AstroSteve

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

Ok. Oh and just one more question, which version of Windows Vista should i get?

The normal version of Windows Vista Ultimate or the 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate? Is the 64 bit better because it displays better colour resolution?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

Sorry RadarMan, you must have misunderstood the question

I don't mean im getting Windows Vista for my computer, it's only 32 bit colour, i mean for the computer im getting, you know the one i listed at the top of this post.[/quote]

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...